where do you get the raw materials for building resin?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

michaelgloch

where do you get the raw materials for building resin?

Post by michaelgloch »

I hope this isn't a completely duh! question, but here goes.
Does anyone know or have any suggestions on where to go to buy the raw materials that actually go into creating a resin based model from scratch? I'm trying to do a major custom build on a model and am going to have to build a bunch of my own parts. So, anyone have any suggestions where you find the raw materials for actually mixing up the goop resin starts as along with mould making supplies? Thanks.
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

Two separate questions, so here's the answers.

For making resin molds and pouring castings - there's various places you can go. I've always bought from "Smooth-On" - specifically these days I get their "Mold-Max" mold rubber and "Smooth-Cast" resin.

For making parts... There's all kinds of things you might need, or could get. Bondo, styrene plate, and Aves would be a good start, probably.

If you're casting parts for yourself, then it's reasonably easy to learn how to do it and do all the casting. If you're thinking of producing a bunch of copies to sell, you might be better off having someone else do the casting for you.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

These guys are just down the road from you. Well, sorta. :)

http://www.fibertek.ca/

They have all you need, and a friendly staff. Ask for Dave. :) Hope this helps.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Here's some projects on the main site that were done by making a master and then casting copies of parts:

Jack Wendt's Scratchbuilt Excalibur:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/projects/jw_resin.htm

Dave Windham's Scratchbuilt Agamemnon
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/b5/td_omega.htm

Hopefully that'll help answer some technique questions you may have!
________
Joe Brown
erospawn

Hey..

Post by erospawn »

Im new here.. but, I've working on a build of the Enterprise E for casting later.. in regards to what can be used... I used balsa wood, plasticard or styrene plastic.. and for the smaller details, I found that polymer clay works pretty well.. You can make the details very easily, then bake it in the oven .. it can be sanded and painted no problem...

As far as how to do it... I've watched several video's but havn't done it yet..I've planned to go and try Latex.. but may have to end up using Smooth-on to make the initial mold.. the next trick.. I want to use fiberglass when making the actual model..