Balsa wood for a master

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Lonnie Sweet

Balsa wood for a master

Post by Lonnie Sweet »

I'm working on a part for a super secret 1/24 conversion. Normally I would use kit parts and styrene, but the size prohibits this. I want to use a balsa wood cut to shape and plate with styrene. When I cast it will the styrene stay in place? Alternately, I was gonna use a huge glob of sculpey to form it, but I'm not sure.

Which would work better, or are there any alternate ideas?

The piece will be about 2X4" and about 2" thick.
"There is no charge for awesomeness"
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

You could make your pattern out of Balsa, and then vacuform a styrene shell over it. Leave the Balsa inside for strength, and glue away!
3d-builder

Post by 3d-builder »

Balsa loves to stick to styrene and vise versa....try to pull the styene away if you can....... and you will pull the wood with it.So casting with this combo will be fine!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

My few experiences using balsa as a master taught me the need for finer grained wood like bass or Jelutong. It's fine if you're going to lay a heavy layer of Aves or some such over it just don't press too hard.
Abolish Alliteration
3d-builder

Post by 3d-builder »

I agree balsa needs to be protected with a covering of some sort, I think he said he was going to laminate it with plastic so he should be fine.

Regards,
Michael
chiver

Post by chiver »

what about coating it with paint and a gloss seal?
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

I have had wonderful results by coating balsa with resin. Just apply thin resin over the wood and it'll wick it up. Wait, reapply. Wait repeat for as long as you need (basically when the resin does not penetrate anymore). Sand. Reapply resin. Sand with finer grit. Prime. Once it is done, it is just like a resin piece, but lighter.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

I've soaked balsa in Super Glue, then cleaned up wherever needed. Normally though I just use either a spray primer or brush-on Mr Surfacer to seal it, sand as needed and make a mold
Warned you we did, but listen you did not! Now screwed we all will be!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon????

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

This is almost a completely different line of discussion, but I would echo the need to vac-form the styrene over a balsa master. For those that know me, I love skinning sheet plastic frameworks. I tried once to skin a carved balsa wood shape (nay, fuselage) and it didn't go well. I own a small vac-former, so I would go that route if I was to try starting with a carved balsa master again.