so that's what you call it!

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

spruegrue

so that's what you call it!

Post by spruegrue »

In school, we're doing this plasctics lesson. The instructor has us take a piece of pexyglass and scribe it with a tool and then brake it off. We heat the plastic in the oven and when it sags, we put it into a wooden jig.

scratch - making the line.building - making something out of it.
or am I wrong?
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Welcome. :)

And you are wrong. Sorry.

Scratch building referes to building something out of nothing. Starting with only the raw materials. Baking a cake from scratch, means no store bought cake mix. You have to "assemble" the eggs, flour, and such yourself.

The scribing and breaking technique is called "scribe and snap". One of the many ways to get the shape you need out of a flat sheet of plastic. And the heating and then putting over a patern is called thermal forming. In some cases, the air is sucked out from between the plastic and the jig, this is called vacuum forming (Vacforming, vacu-forming). If the plastic is blown into the mold, this is called blow-molding. Go figure.

Hope I wasn't taking down to you.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

World Wide Words wrote:[Q] From Ken Rodman: “Could you please help me with the origin of the phrase: 'start from scratch'?”

[A] To start from scratch is to begin from the beginning, to set out on some action or process without any prior preparation, knowledge or advantage.

Scratch has been known since the middle of the eighteenth century as a sporting term for a line scratched on the ground that acted as a boundary line or starting point. The first example in the Oxford English Dictionary actually relates to cricket and indicated the crease, the line drawn in front of the stumps where the batsman stands. But the term is much better known from boxing, or rather from bare-knuckle fighting, in reference to the line drawn across the ring to which the boxers are brought to begin their bout. This gave rise to expressions like to be up to scratch, to meet the required standard in something.

Your phrase appeared a century later, by which time scratch had also came to mean the starting line for a race. Competitors who began from this line had the least favourable handicap and so were given no advantage. To start from scratch meant you had been allowed no odds in your favour. It has been generalised from that.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
spruegrue

Post by spruegrue »

Johnnycrash wrote:Welcome. :)

And you are wrong. Sorry.

Scratch building referes to building something out of nothing. Starting with only the raw materials. Baking a cake from scratch, means no store bought cake mix. You have to "assemble" the eggs, flour, and such yourself.

The scribing and breaking technique is called "scribe and snap". One of the many ways to get the shape you need out of a flat sheet of plastic. And the heating and then putting over a patern is called thermal forming. In some cases, the air is sucked out from between the plastic and the jig, this is called vacuum forming (Vacforming, vacu-forming). If the plastic is blown into the mold, this is called blow-molding. Go figure.

Hope I wasn't taking down to you.
not at all. getting my edumication :D
smile. it makes people wonder what you've been up to

ed
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hi, Sprugrue! Welcome to the madness.

Check on the main site for a bunch of 'how to' articles: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/techmain.htm

and: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/site.htm

MODEL ON!
Last edited by en'til Zog on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warped Speedster

Post by Warped Speedster »

OK, now I really don't know what "Scratch Building" means. But I know it when I see it. At least I thought I did, I think... :?
Did I just see a Ford fly by?
Scratchawan Learner

Post by Scratchawan Learner »

Scratching: What one does to relieve one's itch.... some of which is publicly acceptable...and much of which is not.

Scratch
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."
naoto

Post by naoto »

Scratchawan Learner wrote:Scratching: What one does to relieve one's itch.... some of which is publicly acceptable...and much of which is not.

Scratch
So in a nutshell, scratch building is what you end up doing if you're really itching to build something but no kit (nor something close to it for kitbash) is available.

BTW, would a hip-hop modeler do a fair amount of scratching?

http://www.porkscratchingworld.com/
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I don't have much to add, but wanted to say "Welcome!"

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Bumpity bump...

Boy, isn't anyone scratching out there? I know it isn't tick or flea season, but... :oops:
Scratchawan Learner

Post by Scratchawan Learner »

Naoto, you KILL me! ROFL Hip hop modeler... scratching... OH GOD that was hilarious! I suppose we could write a fan letter to DJ Jazzy Jeff (Geoffrey Townes) and ask him if he models? and if he models... does he scratch? That might prove interesting! I'm not a HUGE hip hop fan... but I always did think that DJ Jazzy Jeff, and the Fresh Prince, were pretty cool.
You could always understand what they were saying, they didn't use a lot of really foul language, and the beats and the poetry were dead on time...and even deader on target.

Scratch
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."
kitty

Post by kitty »

I dont't think deader is a word :
There is no deader than dead or deadest for taht matter.
dead is dead, there are no gradations of dead.
Oh he is dead , but just a little, it will pass in a minute :)

or : the corps on our left side is deader than the one on the right, but only by 10% :)
Democracy may be only a few steps removed from anarchy,
But at least it's not as loud.
You broke your little ships. See you around Ahab. :spock:
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Miracle Max wrote:"He's only Mostly dead... There's a big difference between mostly dead and all the way dead.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK