Who collects stuff for scratch building?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Do you collect parts?

Yep, I have a big box 'o' stuff
77%
I have a few parts
19%
No, I gather parts as I need 'em
4%

Total votes: 327

Species5618

Post by Species5618 »

The question should be " Who doesn't collect stuff for scratch building?" It's starting to become my other hobby.
"Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." — John Wayne
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Hey, why not? Most of my greebly stock will be left in my will, 'cause I ain't gonna use them all, but every now and then you come across something that begs to be make into somethin' purrty.

You never know. One of them greeblies might just get you out of a slump and into a frenzy of scratchbashing (that's when you modify your own things to fit in something new).
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Ti Raven

Re: scratch this!

Post by Ti Raven »

1138thx wrote:I found a "see and say" and split it in two. I also added two engines, Styreen window candles. and the base is from an old skittle bowl.
the top is an old portable wall light fixture. Just needs some more greebles.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201 ... say001.jpg
That, Sir, is truly inspiring. I brought home 40 or so Zip Fizz tubes, most with their hinged lids still on. White, pink & yellow. Nice tubes.
* Joyously Celebrating the Mysteries of Chocolate
*Artistically Whimsical
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

Kylwell, I'll bring a few over, they seem to be usefull.
*Artistically Whimsical
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Pardon my ignorance, but perchance what might be a "zip fizz tube"?

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Chacal wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but perchance what might be a "zip fizz tube"?
Hear, hear! I too, wish to be alleviated of my ignorance. :D

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Do I have to find everything
Abolish Alliteration
1138thx

parts

Post by 1138thx »

Hey I just came back from a local molder (Plastic injection) and got a whole bunch nozzles and greeblies and stuff.

So if any of you guys want cool stuff see if you can get to a plastic molder. half the test shots they regrind or trash and you can get a small garbage can full for free. Just a suggestion.

P.S. ask for abs or styrene. It glues best. I post some shots later.
Throw me the idol...I throw you the whip!
No time to argue Senor!
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

Wow.. he really CAN find everything!
*Artistically Whimsical
Ti Raven

Re: parts

Post by Ti Raven »

1138thx wrote:Hey I just came back from a local molder (Plastic injection) and got a whole bunch nozzles and greeblies and stuff.

So if any of you guys want cool stuff see if you can get to a plastic molder. half the test shots they regrind or trash and you can get a small garbage can full for free. Just a suggestion.

P.S. ask for abs or styrene. It glues best. I post some shots later.

Pics? Soon? Industrial sites are fab! Mike brought home some metal shavings some years ago. Long spirals, fat curlies, neat stuff! We have a few on display as art objects. :wink:
Is Collectivitis a spiffer name than Packrat-itis? :D
*Artistically Whimsical
Chacal

Post by Chacal »

Dunno. Collectivitis sound like a Borg-borne venereal disease, packrat-itis sounds vaguely kidney-diseasey.

Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

So, instead of "Prepare to be assimilated" we will hear...."Prepare, you will be assembled" :twisted:
*Artistically Whimsical
sprue one

many boxes of parts and stuff

Post by sprue one »

The poll top option should read, "Yep, I have many big and small boxes 'o' stuffola"

Good poll and topic thread, it's the real truth.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

<A HREF="http://www.kc6sye.com/images/images_09_ ... u_2006.jpg" target="_blank">Help help, Sparky won't cast me!</A>

I can't believe it but that SMT compotent tape cast (black plastic strip at the bottom):
http://www.kc6sye.com/images/images_09_ ... oMMiES.jpg

It's to close to the edge so it doesn't alwyas come out, but when it isn't short shot or over filled, the resin casting is thin and flexiable. Look slike a future weapon's belt feed. whet would take square packs? a fusion plasma gun maybe.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
sprue one

parts parts and pieces

Post by sprue one »

Haha, alright! Those pictures remind me that I'm not alone in being nuts.
nice collection, Sparky.

speaking of this, anyone looking for these parts and shapes for scratch building?

plastic Structure thing

plastic Box thing

plastic Shape thing

plastic Scoop thing

not small pieces as you can see from the cutting mat 1 inch squares.
Last edited by sprue one on Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bar

Post by Bar »

You are only supposed to include links to the images, not post inline pics.
It's as a courtesy for the people on dial-up.
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
sprue one

Post by sprue one »

ok, fixed the links. Sorry.

Thanks for the heads up on that.
Bar

Post by Bar »

It's not a hanging offence(The first time...).
Bar.
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

Over at Dollar General--there are some round, clear lighters that would make nice warp nacelles.

Sci-fi smoker...I'm looking at you.
Chacal

Post by Chacal »

It's not really about "scavenging and salvaging" shapes, but just the other day I stumbled upon a place that sells all sorts of styrofoam goods, and they have styrofoam spheres (hollow, made in two hemispheres that "lock" together) in sizes up to 900mm. No, not 90mm (just under 4"), 900mm (a YARD!!!) in diameter!!! You can fit a child inside it! (With ventilation holes of course :roll: ).

That's a Death Star waiting to be built!

Bar

Post by Bar »

What kind of cash are we looking at for the sizes?
Bar.
Chacal

Post by Chacal »

For the 900mm, the clerk quoted me R$ 140,00, which gives about US$ 65,00. Other sizes are much cheaper: 600mm goes for about US$ 30,00.

Oh, they even have giant Easter Eggs (800mm top to bottom).

Bar

Post by Bar »

And do they sell the 600mm ones in boxes?
Bar.
Chacal

Post by Chacal »

Oh, no. Just a flimsy plastic bag. You buy, YOU worry about taking it home undamaged (typical Brazilian way).

Bar

Post by Bar »

I was thinking more along thie lines of how i'd get it from Rio to Scotland without it breaking...
Chacal

Post by Chacal »

The mailing costs alone would quadruple the price of the thing (wild guess).

Bar

Post by Bar »

I wouldn't think it's that heavy, it's just a matter of finding a box the correct size, and packing it well.
Thanks for the info anyway. Does the store have a website?
Bar.
Chacal

Post by Chacal »

Yo, Bar. Sorry for the delay in answering about the styrofoam ball store. No, they don't have a site (and don't deliver via parcel, just a guy in a van going around town).

However, I dawned on me what such big balls are for: to be the base for those "disco" balls, the ones with gazillions of tiny mirrors glued to them (it does make sense, after all, you want the lightest base available, because it'll HANG FROM THE CEILING OVER PEOPLE'S HEADS).

So, if you find a place near you that makes those, there you have it: big styrofoam balls.

Bar

Post by Bar »

It's ok.

On a different subject, do you guys realise that since this thread started, there have been 408676 posts made on the boards?
Quite a long running thread...
Bar.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

But only 145 votes (so far) in the poll that heads the thread. :-s
________
Joe Brown