Who collects stuff for scratch building?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Do you collect parts?

Yep, I have a big box 'o' stuff
77%
I have a few parts
19%
No, I gather parts as I need 'em
4%

Total votes: 327

Go Flight

Who collects stuff for scratch building?

Post by Go Flight »

Ok, this question was asked in another thread and I thought it should be in its own. Who collects stuff for scratchbuilding? What are you hoarding? Or do you pick up stuff as the need arises? Lets hear.

I used to be one that gather parts as I needed them. Often a PITA as I could never find exactly what I needed. But now I have a small parts of parts and "stuff."
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

I save old kit sprues and unused parts, and builtups that I'm tired of looking at (or will just never get finished) get recycled into the parts box. Interesting plastic shapes get saved, too. The clear plastic containers for Testors airbursh heads are favorites. I'll probably make resin copies.

One of the best source of kits that I bought was a series of Science Fiction kits put out by a Czech company called Andromeda. John Lester has a builtup of one of the kits. The kits were actually leftover sprues from a 1/150 scale kit of a Soviet Tarantul missile launching ship that had been cleverly kitted to make spaceships. I bought them just for the wealth of parts - I wish I'd bought more.

Frank
Bar

Post by Bar »

I tend to buy small cheap tank and artillery kits when i'm in model stores specifically for scratching, although i have a lot of kits lying around waiting to be made, and they're all fodder for a good scratchbuild if the parts look right.
I even keep old sprue, in case it ever becomes the "right part" for something.
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I've developed the tendancy to look at almost everything I come across in terms of 'what might this be/become'. I covered a lot of the list on the other thread, but what I didn't cover was - Why.

I don't collect just odd junk. It has to have an interesting shape. Or be small. I'm working on one professional project where I need 1/12th scale water tanks of a certain shape. For the water surface, I will probably use clear blue fake credit cards one company keeps sending me. Free, easy to store, neat.

I have lots of fine wire in many colors, mainly 'cause I build microelectronical gadgets using 'wire wrap'. A friend keeps trying to give me chunks of odd telephone cable, which I don't really want. The difference? The wire on the spools is a known quantity, uniform, ready to go, with no surprises. The chunks of odd wire... aren't. Maybe if I need handfulls of odd wire just for 'stuffing' a volume with 'spaghetti' but otherwise no.

I just pickled up a bunch of watch gears at a 'scrapbooking' store. And some watch crystals. Why? The gears stack to make intersting shapes - like the gears in a 1/24 car transmission or bits inside a Nautilus. The watch crystals have beome some windows in another project - bevelled glass ones.

I don't really collect 'junk'. But I do look for interesting shapes. Like bits of old lamps from the town dump - 'lathed' shapes in CGI terms. Some will go into models. Some into the 1:1 lawn scupltures I sometimes make.

Criteria? Does it look cool? Does it fire my imagination? Is it storable, and not perishable? Is it clean, or cleanable? Can it be glued, cut, stapled, screwed, or pop riveted?

And, is it cool?

(And yes, I'm a batchelor.)

MODEL ON!
woozle

Post by woozle »

vacuformed plastic packaging from almost anything, and the caps off shaving lotion cans are my favorites.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Bar

Post by Bar »

I bought this two-piece ornament in an art store recently.
I didn't know why, i just did.
I had an idea yesterday for an entry in the star wars competition, and was looking for a cockpit. I started some roughing out with blu-tack to get an idea and Here it is.
Trust me, if i can get this thing looking as good in 3d as it looks on my sketch pad, Everone will love it. This is just the stepping-stone idea, not the final design. There will be an entire ship around this. Hopefully i'll get some done tonight.
It pays to keep your eyes open.
Bar.
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Measuring cups.

No, really! :D

I found some sets of hemispherical ones at a discount store in nice sizes for $2, and some cylindrical ones for $1. Nice solid plastic, ABS or Styrene.

They'll go well with the batch of various plastic wine glasses and cups (think "Commando Cody" ship). :twisted:
Woody

Post by Woody »

I don't have a big box of parts but many boxes and several cabinets full. That's not including my scronged 1/8th inch styrene and plexiglass from work. :P
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
Dave

Post by Dave »

I collect huge piles of stuff! My latest craze is to buy cheap (ish) kits off ebay, just for the purpose of breaking them down into my parts box. Tanks, planes, ships you name it.

if I'm building something particular, then I will try to track down the correct parts/kit bits that I'm going to need - this is when it gets expensive...
CB2001

Post by CB2001 »

I've collected a few soda bottle caps, some plastic centers from rolls of register tapes and I have a few parts (including the trees that hold them)from models that I didn't need the parts for.
Andrew C.

Post by Andrew C. »

I stock up and buy a few cheap kits every month for gutting.
Last edited by Andrew C. on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Waste not want not.

I have parts in my 'treasure chest' older than my 25 year-old son. All unused parts always get dumped in there - no matter how useless they may appear to be.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
woozle

Post by woozle »

seam-filler wrote:Waste not want not.

I have parts in my 'treasure chest' older than my 25 year-old son. All unused parts always get dumped in there - no matter how useless they may appear to be.
I had boxes and boxes of stuff, that the ex wife helped me think I had outgrown.. my 2nd wife understands not to touch the new boxes and kits.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Bar

Post by Bar »

I have mountains of stuff for kitbashing.

And almost all of my model tools are in a mechanics toolcase.

This means i can take my hobby wherever i go(And i'm fortunate to have a job where i have the luxury of modelmaking while i'm there :D ).

The problem comes when sometimes, I have a project on the bench where i don't think i'm at the stage i need greeblies yet(And so I don't take my greeblie box).

I did this today and so i was left with an almost inexhaustable supply of styene(sheets and shapes), but no greeblies(And a real need for the greeblie detail to be done right away).
I'm afraid i had to improvise(i have very little patience when i'm "in the modelling zone"):
1. 2. 3.(Click images to enlarge)
How did i do?
I wonder if i shouldn't have waited. :(
Bar.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Woozle wrote:
seam-filler wrote:Waste not want not.

I had boxes and boxes of stuff, that the ex wife helped me think I had outgrown.. my 2nd wife understands not to touch the new boxes and kits.
The 2nd is usually so much better than the 1st... Maybe 'cause we look for someone WITHOUT whatever miffed us 'bout the 1st.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

w33bar, that looks COOL! Greeblies are just ONE way to go. Your model is just fine the way it is.
Bar

Post by Bar »

I don't know...................
I'll see if there's room for some tank axles :D
Bar.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

I myself divide my hoard in two "genres": "Big stuff" and "Small stuff".

Big stuff: things that may become "important" parts, like engine nozzles, tanks, hulls, main guns etc. Usually bottles, caps, parts of printers, christmas ornaments, PVC pipe fixtures...

Small stuff: (separated in baggies according to size, material and shape) greeblies. The divisions I keep are: size – from itty bitty (~1-3mm) to largish (several cm); material – plastic, steel, aluminum, brass etc.; shape – long cylindrical, short cylindrical, disc-shaped (really short cylindrical), squarish, weird...

All in all, I must have thousands of parts (of course, most are the "Small" variety, specially "itty bitty" ones.

Some samples of "Small stuff" here and here
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Now that looks like the contents of my greeblie box!!
Warped Speedster

Post by Warped Speedster »

I guess I'm at the point where I don't know where all my greeblies are anymore. I try to keep them in little clear boxes and then keep those inside organizer drawers. Now I've got parts drawers >behind< parts drawers. :roll: It doesn't do too much good to label them because most are miscellaneous parts. I do have a few parts boxes marked as "priority one" though, and always sitting out on the bench.

I probably get most of my stuff from the same places other modelers get theirs.

Mostly lotsa model railroad stuff.

Car parts.

Some aircraft and armor.

Surprizingly, not too much from Scifi kits.

Lotsa stuff from drugstores and kitchen supply stores.

Lotsa stuff from craft stores and thrift stores.

Some watch parts.

All kinds of candy containers. (Gotta eat a lotta candy though)

Almost any plastic container is usefull.

I never throw away a vitamin bottle, especially if it's the hard plastic kind. And their caps are handy to mix paint in, or to temporarily set parts in.

It's too bad that a lot of items that used to be made of a hard plastic are now made of a "rubbery" type of plastic. (Like the new Easter eggs, yuck) The new plastic is pretty useless for scratchbuilding as far as I'm concerned. So all the good hard plastic stuff that I bought in the past is a lot more precious to me now. :)
Did I just see a Ford fly by?
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

This was already in another thread, but every Easter, you can get various sizes of paraboloids and hemispheres in the form of plastic Easter eggs. Tomorrow I start my first scratchbuild. It will be of a near-future space probe, and the project was inspired by the Easter egg paraboloid.
"Everyone has their illusions, far be it from me to take away yours." - Mok, in the film "Rock 'n Rule"
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

I've got the box a Canon printer came in just chock full of old parts. All leftovers from kits where there were spare parts, extra weapons, etc. I also save all the wee photoetch bits from detail sets, and he resin extras, too.

In addition, I have gotten a couple of things just for detailing. The refinery piping sets for HO trains are a great source of nifty detail stuff. I also got an injected detail set for some train car that has some cool-looking detail-y bits.

Kev
(Now to find ways to use them...)
General Mayhem

Post by General Mayhem »

Some think I am the Fred Sanford of model making world...

:wink:
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

General Mayhem wrote:Some think I am the Fred Sanford of model making world...
A grouchy old black guy who builds models?? I don't get it??

:)

If you want bash-fodder, buy the built junk lots on ebay. A quick way of getting some good stuff. And there is always that little gem in the middle of it all.

And they are usually cheap, becuase it's "junk". Sure it is. :wink:
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
General Mayhem

Post by General Mayhem »

johnnycrash wrote:
General Mayhem wrote:Some think I am the Fred Sanford of model making world...
A grouchy old black guy who builds models?? I don't get it??

:)

If you want bash-fodder, buy the built junk lots on ebay. A quick way of getting some good stuff. And there is always that little gem in the middle of it all.

And they are usually cheap, becuase it's "junk". Sure it is. :wink:

Oh Elizabeth, I'm comin to join ya honey...right after I rip apart this broken printer for parts!!!

:wink:
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

General Mayhem wrote:Oh Elizabeth, I'm comin to join ya honey...right after I rip apart this broken printer for parts!!! :wink:

Damn!! Didn't see that coming!! :D :D

Just watched an ep yesterday!!

But it is a good analogy. A box full of "junk" that others see as just that, junk. Or worse, garbage. :shock:

Have you ever had a part inspire a built?? As compared to finding parts to match your build??
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

I have three rubbermaid containers.....no make that 4 full of parts etc. The first three are sorted by model car parts (first 2) and aircraft parts. The third is just odds and ends that I've picked up over the last few years. Just a few weeks ago, I took apart an old watch. Talk about getting "geared" up....
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
General Mayhem

Post by General Mayhem »

LOL

Well I am currently building a prop star wars type blaster I thought up from a piece of pvc pipe. Not quite the same as a stormtrooper blaster, but similar.

Once I finish that, I will go back to the other plethora of 1/2 finished projects I have...
Bomech1

collecting parts for scratch build

Post by Bomech1 »

I am always on the look out for stuff. discount stores, garage sales, stuff on the street, anything. my freinds think i'm lost. they show me a kit and laugh when i turn the box art upside down and look at it for what they dodn't know. look at things in the mirror also - it gives a whole new view of what your looking at.

Peace above all.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I have a rubbermaid box and a set of large drawers chock full of parts, styrene scraps and sheets, unfinished models, etc., etc., etc.,...

I am currently trying to expand my collection so I can build the twon most greeblie-infested Star Wars models: the Star Destroyer and the Millennium Falcon. I could use the various "Guts on the outside" kits to do the sidewalls of both models, but I have this thing about doing it myself and watching the ship evolve rather than just happen. My middle name is "Don Quixote" :wink:

I now know that being a packrat is a sure-fire symptom of the Acute Advanced Modeller's Syndrom! :D
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!