Who collects stuff for scratch building?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Do you collect parts?

Yep, I have a big box 'o' stuff
77%
I have a few parts
19%
No, I gather parts as I need 'em
4%

Total votes: 327

Cygnus_X-1

Post by Cygnus_X-1 »

Me neither!
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Then here's something to spark the imagination. . .

<A HREF="http://www.kc6sye.com/images/ares/7_gat ... rdseye.jpg" target="_blank">Disk</A>

The part these came from didn't need to be molded, just poured resin in it then tore it off (master is lost in this process). It will be a bit trickier to ID since I used some blue-faded posts cut in a circle to cover the ugly markings in the center of the main disk.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

That's some cool ribbing on those disks, Sparky.
* Joyously Celebrating the Mysteries of Chocolate
*Artistically Whimsical
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mmmm, ribbed for h.... never mind....
Abolish Alliteration
Woody

Post by Woody »

Not sure if this has been covered but the mould trays for candy making can yeild some interesting shapes. The wedding cake section is loaded with cool styrene shapes too. I recently bought a whole bag of clear fluted columns. I also scored some bags of mini wine glasses and champaign flutes.
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Here's Ti Raven's clear ring gribbly. I meant to get a pic of it stand alone, but sitting on the engine spindle is all I got for now:

http://www.kc6sye.com/images/images_01_ ... 7_0288.jpg
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

In the course of cleaning up my work area, I stumbled across a box that Thag had brought over several years ago... loaded with that rectangular-cross-sectioned sprue that Games Workshop used. Coolness!

And an old CA glue cap that makes a potential pattern for the main engines on a Mk VII Viper. Digging through the older junk boxes can be fun!
:8)
________
Joe Brown
sotoolslinger

Post by sotoolslinger »

Can I have that?
It hung in the sky in the same way that bricks don't.
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

Everything really is either a greebly, cat toy or art supply.
Or any mix of the same! :wink:
*Artistically Whimsical
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

I have boxes and boxes of various kits, all are destined to become part of something greater. There are three multi drawer units with each drawer full of all sorts of greeblies. A 3'x2'x4' storage trunk full of damaged/junk models from years past, yard sales and Ebay lots. I walk through almost any store and see things as potential projects or material for existing projects. And yes, a single part can inspire a whole new creation. I keep almost everything because it just might be that one special part that makes the overall creation complete.
There is allways something in the dark beyond the firelight.
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

I saw a shower capable CD player at a yard sale with an interesting blue plastic base...
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Shop those ethnic food markets - Chinese, Middle Eastern, what-have-you - they usually import their stock from places with different views of packaging - and that means greeblies!

On a different tack, for all of you who are planning to enter Iron Modeler at WF this year, I suggest starting your Greeblie Harvest now. I've been digging through the local Salvation Army stores and have found some interesting items - usually for 25 - 50 cents each. :)

Don't forget those Party stores! :)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Bar

Post by Bar »

Holy moses!
This thread is now OVER THREE YEARS OLD!!!
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
darkwolf29a

Post by darkwolf29a »

Ever since reading an article about how they did modeling in the old school, I have begun to keep my eyes out for parts and pieces that I can use.

And, yes...this thread is old, and still useful, IMO. ;)
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Bar wrote:Holy moses!
This thread is now OVER THREE YEARS OLD!!!
Bar.
Had to go back and check. By my Liege's many-tentacled visage! It's true!!!
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
mrwoolery

Post by mrwoolery »

I had the coolest "found item" experience today. I work in IT, and someone requested that I change out a color toner cartridges in one of our color laser printers.

OMG!

The toner cartridge looks like an Eartforce ship from B5! Just add a few greeblies here and there, paint it up, and it'd pass as an Earthforce ship. :shock: :D
It has some of the EA styling cues already built into it...the vertical ribbing of the main body, the "hammerhead" at the front (with docking bay), side docking bays, and two "main thruster" nozzles at the rear. I can't help but wonder if the guy who orginally designed the cartridge was a B5 fan and put a little B5 nerdiness into the design. Needless to say, I'm taking home the empty cartridge and doing some bashing on it. Maybe I'll make a carrier, hospital ship, or tender out of it. BTW, it's also about the same size as the Warp Omega kit, so it'll be near to scale. :wink:
Bar

Post by Bar »

Got any pics, dude?
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
Cygnus_X-1

Post by Cygnus_X-1 »

I've thought this for a long time. (about the cartridge) But the Leonov was one of the inspirations for the Earth Force ships and it came before laser printer cartridges.

I've always stopped short of doing this because of the hazardous and messy toner that would still possibly come out of a cartridge. They do look perfect for making rotating sections on Earth Force Omegas and such though. Does anyone think it would be feasible to stabilize a cartridge enough to do this, and then have the finished model displayed in a human living area? I don't want to breath or clean up toner, basically ever, except maybe after an initial stabilization procedure wearing a mask and gloves.

I finally decided that ink jet cartridges would be ok to use on models because I figure you can drill em, drain em, and dry em, so that they would be inert.
mrwoolery

Post by mrwoolery »

Bar wrote:Got any pics, dude?
Here's one I found on the intardnet:

http://www.printergalaxy.com/images/bigimages/14402.jpg

There's lots of detail lost in this pic due to it's low resolution...and it's a wee bit distorted, making it look shorter in length...but you get the idea.
Bar

Post by Bar »

Wow! That is SWEET!
It could even be a starship from HALO!
Good find, dude!
Bar.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

It also has the look of (most of) a Sci-Fi weapon. Just add grips and trigger mod.
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

There is much modeling goodness, manifesting right there!
*Artistically Whimsical
Bar

Post by Bar »

Indeed!
What model of printer did this cartridge come out of?
Bar.
mrwoolery

Post by mrwoolery »

Bar wrote:Indeed!
What model of printer did this cartridge come out of?
Bar.
It's a Canon C4580 printer. The toner cartridge is part# GPR20

...oh, and yes I DID think it'd make a good gun, too. :D
It even has a sliding portion to it that you can "pump" like a shotgun.
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

Does it make a cool sound when you pump it? :wink:
*Artistically Whimsical
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Boy... the number of quips that brought to mind, Ti.... :twisted: :shock: :D :D :) :D :oops:
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

Silver platters, dear, silver platters... :D
*Artistically Whimsical
Scratchawan Learner

Post by Scratchawan Learner »

Have literally boxes upon boxes filled with things I've "found" at the petfood stores, at Wally World, and at other odd intervals along my way. Driving a truck affords me the odd opportunity on layover, to scout for new Scratchbashing inspirations. I've walked out of a store with a likely looking artifact, simply because I KNEW I could work it into a ship design.
I have all the small stuff in clear plastic organizer drawers.... Big stuff is in plastic tubs. Then there are all the kits I've bought for no other reason, than to bash them into details for various ships.Hasegawa's "Karl" railroad mortar comes immediately to mind. I agree with Dave, when he was talking about "seeing something for it might become" rather than what it was, in the manufacturer's packaging. This hobby requires the use of a VERY healthy imagination. Go big, or go home.[/code]
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."
Scratchawan Learner

Have literally boxes upon boxes filled with things I've "found" at the petfood stores, at Wally World, and at other odd intervals along my way. Driving a truck affords me the odd opportunity on layover, to scout for new Scratchbashing inspirations. I've walked out of a store with a likely looking artifact, simply because I KNEW I could work it into a ship design.
I have all the small stuff in clear plastic organizer drawers.... Big stuff is in plastic tubs. Then there are all the kits I've bought for no other reason, than to bash them into details for various ships.Hasegawa's "Karl" railroad mortar comes immediately to mind. I agree with Dave, when he was talking about "seeing something for it might become" rather than what it was, in the manufacturer's packaging. This hobby requires the use of a VERY healthy imagination. Go big, or go home.
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."
Scratchawan Learner

A word on Merriman's views on scratchbuilding... Dave is a very capable scratchbuilder. Dave is a very skillful scratchbuilder. However. Dave is an enormously opinionated and narrowminded scratchbuilder as well.
I've learned an enormous amount about the "art" of scratchbuilding, from David Merriman. Dave is very generous about sharing his knowledge of building this or that... from the most basic materials. For his knowledge...and his ability to communicate the said same... I admire Dave. HOWEVER. I also pity Dave Merriman, because he can't see the same things that the rest of us see. Dave lacks the artistic capacity for "imagineering" that so many on here have. I can look at a model part that is a round ring, in just such a size, and SEE that it's a Lifepod ejection port... but Dave? Nope. David Merriman suffers from a condition that I'll refer to as ALOI syndrome. Acute Lack Of Imagination. Did I also mention that David rather lacks certain social skills? I'm wondering at how Dave manages to build models with only one arm... he crippled the other one long ago, whilst patting himself on the back a tad too hard and repetitively... Love Dave, or hate Dave... the man DOES build good models. He researches his subjects in the most anal retentive fashion you could imagine, and then makes accurate patterns, and builds an accurate model of a real subject. However, I can't condone ANYone looking down their nose, at anyone else's "idea" of what a model is or isn't. I'm a kit assembler AND a scratcher. A good replica of a ship, is a good replica... whether I paid good cash for it, or whether I scratched it. Dave, if you read this forum... (and I doubt that you do) respect is not a given, to anyone. I generally tend to give my respect to everyone, the first rattle out of the box... and then let them hang themselves, or prove themselves afterwards. Dave thinks himself worthy of our respect, based on his perceived prowess as a "professional" in the model building industry. My problem is... that professionalism alone isn't enough, to garner respect. Not with me. If you want MY respect... first treat OTHERS with respect.
I can't countenence someone's behavior, when they try to enhance their own reputation, by treading upon someone else's. Shame on you Dave.