Who collects stuff for scratch building?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Do you collect parts?

Yep, I have a big box 'o' stuff
77%
I have a few parts
19%
No, I gather parts as I need 'em
4%

Total votes: 327

artic316

boxes? we don't need no stinkin boxes!!!!

Post by artic316 »

8) I have quite a grebellion at home and the wife knows not to touch :twisted: Anything that peaks interest joins my greeble forces.After all I am working on a couple of SSC creations of my own using a brute bottle and a seasalt bottle. I will post some pics soon. Has anyone seen my spindle bender or my thingamabob? :? BTW keep your filthy paws off my doohicky! :twisted:
improvise adapt and overcome.We are the fellowship of modelers.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

My inkjet printer just bought the farm... :D
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

The new Deer Park Stackable water bottles have interesting tops--as do the smaller water bottles whose tops are good nozzle material.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

CHeck out the Folder's instant coffee mixes. Stretched octagon shape, looks perfect for a cargo module.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Chacal wrote:My inkjet printer just bought the farm... :D
Ahh damn...that's a shame. :snort:

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

M&Ms has a new candy bowl for Christmas. It's about 8" in diameter and comes in two colors - shiny gold and shiny red.

The inner plastic container pops out from the outer shell. One half of the outer shell has a cutout of "M & M"; the inner white container fits into this. The other half is featureless, except for a flat area near the apex.

I found it at Smart & Final, but most stores should have it.

It's the perfect shape for this thing's body.

Frank
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

How terribly tragic. If you were to send it to me, I'm sure I could find some means to honor it's remains... Why, I'd even pay postage in order to ease your suffering.... 8)
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

The Grebbly collector's moto:
<A HREF="http://www.kc6sye.com/images/images_09_ ... a_mini.jpg" target="_blank">Find it,
save it,
cast it.</A>
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

Sparky wrote:The Grebbly collector's moto:
<A HREF="http://www.kc6sye.com/images/images_09_ ... a_mini.jpg" target="_blank">Find it,
save it,
cast it.</A>
I recognize some of those parts!

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Kolschey wrote:
How terribly tragic. If you were to send it to me, I'm sure I could find some means to honor it's remains... Why, I'd even pay postage in order to ease your suffering.... 8)

So sorry, the poor thing got into a terrible accident with a screwdriver, and there just wasn't much left of it to bury... But she'll be remembered (specially when I need greeblies) fondly.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Warped Speedster

Post by Warped Speedster »

:bdh: Buuuump. One more time.
Did I just see a Ford fly by?
Bar

Post by Bar »

In four months, this thread will have been going for two years...
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

heh...
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:heh...
Whole lotta parts need collectin'

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Chacal

Post by Chacal »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:

Kenny
And they ain't gonna go about collecting themselves, so somebody's got to do it.

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Chacal wrote:
Lt. Z0mBe wrote:

Kenny
And they ain't gonna go about collecting themselves, so somebody's got to do it.
Wasn't that a line from Sanford and Son?
Fred Sanford wrote:Hey Lamont, you big dummy. They ain't gonna go about collecting themselves
:lol:

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

There's my execuse I remeber watching that show as a kid. I've been programed to pack rat all the good parts.

Oh and I have to take a picture of this bag of crap kywell sent me. Then a picture of all the parts that came out of it that need to be molded asap. Some are right here on the desk in front of the monitor (the high value ones that I could get to without dumping out the whole bag).
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Sparky wrote:There's my execuse I remeber watching that show as a kid. I've been programed to pack rat all the good parts.

Oh and I have to take a picture of this bag of crap kywell sent me. Then a picture of all the parts that came out of it that need to be molded asap. Some are right here on the desk in front of the monitor (the high value ones that I could get to without dumping out the whole bag).
Remind me to send you that Avon Hair Rocket bottle cap.....

:8)
________
Joe Brown
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

Some airfilters have nice dome shapes.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

My wife bought some ornaments at Garden Ridge the other day. God love her, she knew to save the shapes for me.

Basically, there are 20 or 30 ornaments, packaged in layers, that are stacked to form a cylinder about a foot or two tall. Each layer of ornaments sits in a clear vacuformed plastic tray, with hemispheres for each ornament in the layer.

The ornaments are of different sizes, making each tray have, four, six, eight, or more hemispheres molded into it.

I ended up with trays totalling about forty or fifty clear plastic hemispheres of vairous sizes.

God, I love my wife. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Chacal

Post by Chacal »

Christmas decorations have been taken down, and I sweet talked my way into getting some leftover big plastic christmas balls. They are a bit scuffed (from being used in a store) but the owner was not going to keep all of them in storage till next year (he doesn't know if he'll have the same color next year, so...).

Hee hee. Fuel tanks!

publiusr

Post by publiusr »

I have cut out the top to a wide, plastic paint lid. Trying to think of uses.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I took the Scotland Key chain Bar gave me at wonderfest apart, I had to get at the ball joints. Combined with the optical encoder wheel from a very old mouse and I get some sort of Tesla lightning gatalin gun. One ball gribbly short, but they got molded so no problem there.

http://www.kc6sye.com/images/images_12_ ... lingun.jpg
Last edited by Sparky on Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bar

Post by Bar »

Good call!
I like your way of thinking, Joe...
:D
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

My wife threw out a strand of the small Christmas lights this year. If the bulbs are removed, and the wires pulled out, the resulting sockets look like great little detail pieces. I figure they're great engine nozzles, vents, or something. They even have a bit of texture to them.

Just a thought.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

1138thx

scratch this!

Post by 1138thx »

I found a "see and say" and split it in two. I also added two engines, Styreen window candles. and the base is from an old skittle bowl.
the top is an old portable wall light fixture. Just needs some more greebles.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201 ... say001.jpg
Throw me the idol...I throw you the whip!
No time to argue Senor!
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Re: scratch this!

Post by Kolschey »

1138thx wrote:I found a "see and say" and split it in two. I also added two engines, Styreen window candles. and the base is from an old skittle bowl.
the top is an old portable wall light fixture. Just needs some more greebles.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201 ... say001.jpg
With a mighty roar, the alien craft appeared...Terran munitions were useless against its massive armored carapace. Massive, indomitable, It hovered...

And time stood still...

Finally, as the crowds waited below, expectantly, a mighty voice thundered forth from the strange craft above...

"The Cow says MOOOO!"

:D
1138thx

The sheep

Post by 1138thx »

The sheep says "BLAAAAAH" :D :D :D :D
Throw me the idol...I throw you the whip!
No time to argue Senor!
NIKIN

Post by NIKIN »

lol

I have loads of bits everywhere and my mum knows never to clear out my room, when the vacuum cleaner was fixed I ended up with the gear box, brush (which is an interesting twisted shape) and the old tube :)
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

My collection of bits is growing.