Source for small photoetched stars?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

davehal9000

Source for small photoetched stars?

Post by davehal9000 »

Looking for some tiny photoetched stars for a project. Need a couple of sized but they're about 1/4" tall. Any suggestions?
Warned you we did, but listen you did not! Now screwed we all will be!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon????

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette
Andrew Gorman

Re: Source for small photoetched stars?

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Check out craft punches for scrapbookers. Conductors punches might be too small, but worth a look. paper that size usually looks just fine, or you could use very thin styrene.
http://www.dickblick.com/items/58923-1004/
Directly above the center of the Earth.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Or go to a party supply place (Party City is our local chain).

I assume you want five pointed ones. They have star-shaped confetti in several sizes, from near-pinhead to almost half an inch. They're punched out of plastic so they should glue down pretty well. They're usually either rightly colored or transparent/opalescent/metallic, but a coat of primer should take care of that.

Kev
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

I have had good luck laminating sheet styrene into rods with a particular cross section. For a star, you'll also need to sand your build up to get the star's sharp corners, but should not be too hard. Then cut thin slices to get the pieces you want. Getting them all the same thickness requires either cutting extras, and discarding the pieces that are too thick or too thin, OR, lightly superglue-zing a bunch of stars to some scrap sheet, sanding them en-masse, then putting a knife point under the piece to break the bond. Again, make extras because some will fail somewhere in the process.
Please see my Facebook Page showcasing my work.
https://www.facebook.com/ajmadisonmodels/#
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

Problem is I need a thin cut-out star, like used on a MiG. Am using a Cameo Silhouette to cut them but as thin as they are I haven't gotten one cut yet that I didn't cut through. Have to laminate two or three to get the thickness I need.

I have some of the confetti stars and that may be the solution I need. They glue up with liquid cement. Will glue some thin strip stock around the outside edge to get the raided portion I need.

The smaller star I need, same project, I was able to find some parts for making jewelry at a chain craft shop. They are silver metal with a plastic "crystal" star inside. Thought they were one piece but the star pries apart, releasing the crystal and giving me two metal stars with the thin outline I need. Some finangling and it'll do the trick.

I'm sure someone out there has a photo-etch set, just haven't found them. I really need to take the plunge and start making my own photoetch parts!
Warned you we did, but listen you did not! Now screwed we all will be!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon????

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette
Styrofoam_Guy

Post by Styrofoam_Guy »

If you have a silhouette why not cut self adhesive vinyl and stack to desired thickness?

I do not understand what you mean when you said "Am using a Cameo Silhouette to cut them but as thin as they are I haven't gotten one cut yet that I didn't cut through."