What happened to Hobby Base Strip Styrene??

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Madhatter

What happened to Hobby Base Strip Styrene??

Post by Madhatter »

As the title asked - what's happened to it? I bought some from HLJ and now it's discontinued - does this mean that Hobby Base no longer make it or just that HLJ no longer stock it? I hope its not the first one because it's fantastic stuff as it's uber thin - much thinner than Evergreen. Unless Evergreen make some strip that's thinner than 0.14mm, I don't know who else would make it. Anyone know of an alternative?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There are a number of strip sizes from Evergreen .010, about .00448819 thicker than .14mm stuff. Even @ that thickness too much glue will dissolve it in flash. I know I've ran across .005 strip stock, paper thin stuff. Looking @ it too hard with glue will dissolve it.
Abolish Alliteration
srspicer

Post by srspicer »

You can use solvent with .005 styrene, I do it all of the time. You have to use an industrial solvent, such as Resin-bond. R.B. evaporates almost instantly, therefore, small amounts on a fine brush will not melt the thin stuff.

The trick is, to have the styrene strip in place, then make a couple of quick passes with a brush, wet with R.B. Do not have a full, dripping brush, or it will melt it, because it will not evaporate quickly from a puddle.

(Just my 2¢ of over thirty years of experience :D )

(I used to buy from Evergreen for my strip styrene, have not for about six years. It is a family run business, and their daughter made a mistake with an order of mine. When I called to point out the error, they said it was my mistake. I knew it was their mistake, because I asked them to change the company name in the same phone call. My business name still came up as the old one when I asked them to check it. They refused to admit the mistake in the order, and insisted I fax in my order from then on. I do not have a fax, so, I was damned if I were going to go to Staples to place an order with them, while I could order form Plastrcut.)

*****Order from Plastrcut, they have strip styrene I've heard :wink: **
naoto

Post by naoto »

srspicer wrote:… insisted I fax in my order from then on. I do not have a fax, so, I was damned if I were going to go to Staples to place an order with them, while I could order form Plastrcut.) …
If you happen to have a modem in your computer, you've got a FAX machine. If you've got a multi-function printer hooked up to your computer -- one with scan/copy function -- it might also have a FAX option.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人