Micro Lathe set up for Dremels

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Chas

Micro Lathe set up for Dremels

Post by Chas »

http://vanda-layindustries.com/html/mil ... ories.html
Scroll down to bottom of page.
Anyone have one of these? Tried one? What's it like?
Barring direct experience Perhaps someone more familiar with lathes could provide some guesses on performance based on the info provided in the link?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
OdysseySlipways

Post by OdysseySlipways »

the question needing to be asked is, do you have the rest of all of that, that these additional parts work with
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

Odyssey Slipways on Facebook

Now accepting Pay Pal, I'll be taking your money now ........... (waves hand in the air, using Jedi Mind trick)
Chas

Post by Chas »

For the Lathe you need to have the MILL:
http://vanda-layindustries.com/index.html
scroll down about one third of the page.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
skymods

Post by skymods »

Do you already have the mill?
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy one of those mini-mill/lathe setups? I was just thinking that if I have to buy all of that stuff why not just buy a purpose built machine, if we're talking miniature milling/lathing.

Admittedly, I am ignorant on matters when it comes to machining, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Chas

Post by Chas »

skymods wrote:Do you already have the mill?
No, but the versatility of this set up has me intrigued enough to be thinking about it.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I got one of these mill/lathe contraptions several years ago and it actually works pretty well in the mill configuration. As a lathe, not so much, but I used it for a few things before getting a Taig lathe. The hardest part to me about using the Vandalay mill was work holding. The mill table has a limited amount of tapped holes to attach bars and clamps. A lot of the time I just used double-sided tape to hold little pieces in place while I worked on them. I would also clamp a small machinists vise onto the table. If you get this device, be sure to get yourself a good, sharp 1/8" end mill and maybe use a single-speed Dremel with a speed controller. That's what I used and it worked well.

Bottom line, my Taig lathe is a much, much better tool. I haven't touched that Vandalay rig in at least four years. I never got a Taig mill to complement the lathe-- I learned 3D modeling instead.
Chas

Post by Chas »

Thanks Joseph.
Did you get the metal or wood working Taig?