.010" sheeting and your printer - ever print on it?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

OdysseySlipways

.010" sheeting and your printer - ever print on it?

Post by OdysseySlipways »

i think i have asked a few people in the past so i thought this time i'd ask on the boards....

can you take a sheet of .010" plastic and run it through your pc's printer without any damage or issues?

i was just wondering as it would help for getting some things cut out vs trying to draw small detail parts onto the sheet by hand, then cut them out and hope they come out right.

my printer is a rear fed, straight through printer vs one of them over and under deals where the paper tray is under the shute tray where your printed papers come out. so i am not worried about that being an issue but don't know if the .010" would be an issue of any kind. i am sure i could run a sheet of .005" through as long as the printer didn't eat it by mistake (don't think it would, but who knows - i don't)

so..... has anyone ever done this? maybe on a regular basis? if so, how does your printer handle it?
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

Odyssey Slipways on Facebook

Now accepting Pay Pal, I'll be taking your money now ........... (waves hand in the air, using Jedi Mind trick)
CrazyDude

Post by CrazyDude »

Depends on the printer.

Could do it with my Alps as it had a setting for feeding thick paper.

Another problem might be ink adhesion, laser printers often tend to get hot even and that can cause warping, sticking.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Inkjet, no problems. I've even done it with a dye-sub printer.

DO NOT try it in a laser printer. You'll destroy the printer.
Abolish Alliteration
OdysseySlipways

as far as i know this is just an inkjet with smudge/water proof ink. it's a Epson WF-2540
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

Now accepting Pay Pal, I'll be taking your money now ........... (waves hand in the air, using Jedi Mind trick)
OdysseySlipways

a reply from Epson:
Dear Christopher,

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson WorkForce WF-2540.

In response to your concern please be advised that, the use of transparencies is not supported with this printer due to the type of ink that it uses. The type of ink that this printer uses will not adhere to the transparency. Below are the supported paper types of your printer:
Plain paper
EPSON Bright White Paper
Brochure & Flyer Paper Matte Double-sided
Presentation Paper Matte
Premium Presentation Paper Matte
Premium Presentation Paper Matte Double-sided
Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte
Photo Paper Glossy
Premium Photo Paper Glossy
Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy
Premium Photo Paper Semi-gloss
Photo Quality Adhesive Sheets
Iron-on Cool Peel Transfer paper
Matte Scrapbook Photo Paper (letter)
Should you require further assistance, please reply and reply to this email If you have a different support issue, submit a request via our U.S. Support Site and we will respond in a timely manner.

Thank you again for contacting Epson.

Sergio Antonio D.
i didn't say it was transparency paper but i guess it is close
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

naoto

Post by naoto »

For inkjet, the problem you'll probably see with plastic sheet is that the ink will probably not adhere to the surface and probably bead up rather than forming nice neat lines or shapes. The other problem you'll probably see is that the colours are likely to change from the intended colours (because they might not mix properly on the surface). Had that happen with some badge inserts (stuff used for ID badges where you sandwich them inside a "pouch" that you laminate) because of the plastic coating on the insert sheets.

There are transparency sheets that are made for inkjet -- the surface has been "roughened up" to a semi-matte surface, which allows the ink to settle onto the surface without beading up.

Talk to the "stick-and-tissue" model aeroplane folks and you'll probably find a few that have fed balsawood sheets through inkjet (to create something akin to "printwood" -- where the outline of parts were printed onto sheet, which then you cut out), or have fed tissue paper (used as covering on model aeroplanes of this type) by attaching it to a "carrier" sheet of normal paper. Usually in these applications you have to use the "straight-through" path.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Have you tried glossy photo paper? It's almost 0.005 in. thick, certainly thick enough for prototyping.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
OdysseySlipways

didn't think of photo paper, but that's a bit too thin for my (current) likes.

as to the surface being too smooth, i all ready thought of taking my small sanding wet/dry pad pad and going over the surface where i'll be printing on (i'll know what area as i'll be doing test runs on paper first to make sure the shape and sizes are correct).
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I've done it. I sanded the surface with 400 grit wet dry paper and made sure I washed it so it was absolutely dust free. The styrene dust is probably not good for the print head.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Wonder if spraying with dull coat first would be of benefit.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

You may be able to with inkjet but be cautious. Paper paths are not always straight and may cause damage to your inkjet. Forget about laser printers. Most use heat and pressure to fuse the toner to the paper and styrene has a low melting point. Even if it manages to print something, most plastics release fumes that can damage laser printing components. Mylar and film designed for lasers take this into account and like previously mentioned transparencies for inkjet have a special coating or roughness so that aqueous ink will adhere.

There are decal sheets for inkjet and laser out there. Have you tried that?

TazMan2000
skymods

Post by skymods »

Print on mailing labels. Then stick it to the plastic, cut it out and remove the label. Labels come in all sizes, you can even get uncut sheets, one 8 1/2 x 11 label per page if you need something big.

Dave
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There used to be, can't seem to find it now, a spray that was made for printing on non-inkjet ready materials. Helped reduce ink pooling and smearing. I'll continue my searches.
Abolish Alliteration
OdysseySlipways

that spray sounds interesting, maybe regular (non sanding) primer - after a light sanding of the plastic sheeting first

i can't see using address labels as once they stick to something i don't know of any that come off easily, some don't like coming off even if placed on packaging tape
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

What I typically do is print on paper and then apply a thin coat of white glue to the plastic (or the paper), place the paper on the plastic and let it dry. Then you can cut the plastic and soak the cut pieces in lukewarm soapy water, which will make the glue release.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters