Models based on book covers

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Richard Bartrop

Models based on book covers

Post by Richard Bartrop »

Detailed recreations of science fiction art from the 1970s. He calls them sculptures, but the techniques are familiar to modelers.

http://www.grantlouden.com/shipyard.htm

Maybe there's a group build or a contest in this idea? Pick a favourite SF book cover, and try to recreate it.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Beautiful work. WOW!! And all I have had time to look at is "The Star Dwellers".
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Sounds like a competition. :D

Nice work.
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

It's interested how he goes through testing the shapes versus the 2D picture taken at the same angle. I've definitely had that problem where I'm trying to make something in 3D that I only have an off-axis 2D picture of. I wouldn't have thought of doing it in paper and then taking a picture of it from the same angle. :thumbsup:

-Rog
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

All of this takes me back to when I was a tweener, and I'd take my Aurora model of a subject and hold it relative to a picture of, as some like to say, 'the prototype'. I would pose the model until I could dart my eyes between it and the picture and see where there were differences. Admittedly, most of the time, all I had was box art from the kit, but even there I could see huge changes between the model and the box art and that's even allowing for parallax.

Still, its a very useful double check for verifying the model (or in my case, the scratchbuild in question) and the references. I have used a variety of rapid prototyping methods to verify a build before committing to lengthy builds in plastic. Some are as nice as building the paper model (when available), others are cardboard profiles, and when necessary, doing some quick and dirty construction with sheet styrene. I can churn a plastic box in a few minutes. Couple more minutes, and I can cut off an edge and apply a bevel.

In short, I spend most of my 'build' time, not building. I spend it figuring out how a sub-assembly is shaped. And any trick that is useful in translating a bunch of reference pictures to model construction is welcomed.
steelrose

Post by steelrose »

Personally, I'd start with Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon The Deep, the chrome tropical fish ship (Out Of Band II).
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

I like the Welcome to Mars design by Peter Ellison. Its been years since I saw it in an art book and thought then that it deserved being built - even a kit released although I was certain that would never happen.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

steelrose wrote:Personally, I'd start with Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon The Deep, the chrome tropical fish ship (Out Of Band II).
I never cared for that painting. It doesn't match the description of the Out Of Band II from the story. I don't know if Boris never read the book, or just decided to go his own direction with the painting. Still, it might make a pretty cool model.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
eeun

Post by eeun »

Johnnycrash wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: Beautiful work. WOW!! And all I have had time to look at is "The Star Dwellers".
:shock: Likewise. Going to have to put on another pot of coffee for the rest.
That's an amazing inspiration.

(edit:) There really is just the one build article. The other projects are still ongoing (or abandoned?).
World's Tallest Jawa!