TOS Turbo Lift grill shadow

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

nurturer

TOS Turbo Lift grill shadow

Post by nurturer »

Still working on my 3 ft. wide scratch build of the TOS Enterprise bridge. I'm at the point now where I have to figure out how to display the grill shadow that is cast onto the bulkhead and turbolift doors.

I have a grill inserted in the model that's made from brass etching, and although it isn't the actual grill shape usd in the show, it's a good representation. I just can't seem to get the shadows to cast just like the show, and when they do cast well, they hardly photograph at all.

So, my only solution is to create a decal and apply it to the wall, simulating the shadow, or hand draw each and every little grill circle with a mapping pencil to simulate the shadow. Or, maybe you guys can help me come up with an alternative.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Can you post a picture, or give a link to one? That'd make it easier to figure out how to do what you want.
tetsujin

Re: TOS Turbo Lift grill shadow

Post by tetsujin »

nurturer wrote:I have a grill inserted in the model that's made from brass etching, and although it isn't the actual grill shape usd in the show, it's a good representation. I just can't seem to get the shadows to cast just like the show, and when they do cast well, they hardly photograph at all.
Perhaps a smaller light source would help? Or moving the light source farther from the grill? If the light source is too large, or too close to the grill, the shadows will be softened and indistinct. Using a smaller light source and/or moving it farther away will give the shadows more definition.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.