Advice needed on BARC Speeder scratchbuild

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Thundergod

Advice needed on BARC Speeder scratchbuild

Post by Thundergod »

I'm considering building a Star Wars BARC Speeder in 1/6 scale , but most of my (starship) scratchbuilds have been of " flat sided " ships . The material I have plenty of is 4mm styrene ( ABS) . What would be the most economical/practical way of forming the rounded sections of the build ? I have a few options , such as building "ribs" over a spine and "skinning" with thinner styrene and/or using filler .
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/t ... rofile.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/t ... 063dd2.jpg
"I'm The Lord of the Wasteland , a Modern Day Man of Steel " .
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

For the totally enclosed spaces, the rib & skinning method works really well.

For shapes that you might want to be open, like the nacelles on the sides, then using the rib & skin to make the basic shape and then using is as a master or buck to create hollow vacuform nacelle parts.

The ribs can be both transverse or longitudinal or both.

If the parts are small, then you can fill the gaps between ribs with Aves or 2-part Bondo and then file/sand back to the ribs.

A couple ways to go about this sort of thing.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

In light of the scale, and the fact that the parts that are "open" are the Star Wars variants of "Jet Engines" you should be able to still use the frame/rib & skin method. Once built, carefully cut open the intakes and insert suitable air flow shock cones. Might want to simulate turbine blades some how to really sell the nacelle as a propulsion unit. For the exhausts, similarly, cut a hole in the aft end of the pod, and apply suitable "turkey feather" details as described by your reference material.