Source for inexpensive plastic or metal discs?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

sbaxter

Source for inexpensive plastic or metal discs?

Post by sbaxter »

For Mothers Day I got a 36x24 print of The Pandorica Opens, the faux Van Gogh painting first seen in the Doctor Who episode of the same name. I've bought a frame for it, but I was thinking that it would be nice to glue some discs around the frame to echo the roundels inside the TARDIS — the frame will be painted "TARDIS blue" and glazed with a thin iridescent gold. I was thinking discs about an inch to and inch and a half in diameter for the corners, with smaller ones in between (or just smaller all the way around). I'll only do one row just to keep it relatively easy.

Anyone know a source for this sort of thing? I need something that can be epoxied to the frame and which can be primed and painted. I'd prefer either flat discs or something with a slight bulge in the center and relatively unadorned otherwise. And they must be cheap. Washers are my best idea so far, but of course those have an opening, and I'd prefer to avoid sanding and filling …

It did occur to me that for something which will be painted to resemble the exterior of the TARDIS, squares would be appropriate. And I could cut those from styrene. But trying to get at least a couple dozen squares all the same size — and truly square — sounds like a nightmare.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Head to the auto parts store and get some engine block plugs
Craft store for all sorts of like things.
Abolish Alliteration
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Tiddlywinks!
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

skymods

Post by skymods »

Do you have a local plastic supply store? They might have something similar to this.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plas ... _discs/137

Dave
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

If you have styrene stock, cut them out with a compass.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

By the way ... I finally decided to do styrene squares. It was still a challenge to cut about 40 squares all the same size and figure out how to space them evenly around the frame while having a square on each corner. But I did it, and it was a big hit.

Took me three tries to find a blue spray paint that was a reasonable match for the TARDIS as it currently appears ...

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters