Space Marine Bolter - Pocket Edition™

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Rogviler

Space Marine Bolter - Pocket Edition™

Post by Rogviler »

Thought I'd drop this here since it's not quite a gaming miniature, but is completely built from scratch... Plus threads in this section stay around for a long time. :D

First the pics, just some cell phone teaser shots for now. I'll drag out the real camera when the paint is on it:

Mostly done.

Primer on, minus a couple areas that I crudely masked.

Part of the reason for this build was as a large-scale study model to check the proportions before doing it full size. I think it's a cool and iconic weapon, but it's also completely ludicrous. It seems like half the full-size builds look like a refrigerator with a little tiny handle attached, and the rest try too hard to make it more like a real-world gun and it loses the "look."

Being a completely ludicrous weapon, I know it's hard to compromise between scaling up the blocky miniature and making it look like something that could actually exist in real life, so I pass no judgement on those who have come before me. But I also do want to get it right because I can't stand it any other way. :)

I'm also hoping I got the scale right, in line with 12" GI Joes. I know they're a bit oversized for 1/6, but at the moment mine are buried in storage so I shot for 1/6 and am hoping I went slightly over. If it works then eventually I'd like to do a full set of Space Marine armor in 12" Joe scale. If not, then it's a cool piece for the bookshelf.

Some build details: The core is wood, which I cut using a paper model as a template. The black is ABS. All the metal is aluminum, save for some brass tubing as internal structure and pinning and brass screws. The rest is styrene and various autobody fillers. The two purple jewels (if you can make them out) are cut and polished from an Anakin's Podracer sprue. I wanted red, but all my kits with tail lights and nacelles all had them in clear. Go figure.

The design is a mashup of some of my favorite details found on various versions of the bolter, most notably including a rounded front grip, rather than the square ones common to most 1:1 builds, and the ergonomic pistol grip, rather than blocky. I also tried to make the sights a bit more realistic, like you could actually aim with them if your targeter went down.

The biggest pain was definitely the front grip. I first attempted it (twice) with thin aluminum, but the saw just wanted to chew it up with such thin strips between the cuts. Then I did it in styrene, got it prefect, and proceeded to completely melt it to goo with the heat gun when I was bending it to shape. Finally got it right- styrene with VERY careful application of heat.

Anyway, I'm still trying to decide on a paint scheme (traditionally they just get dabbed with black or silver paint on the miniature), but when I do it'll be done. Only took a couple months to make this little tiny thing. :P

-Rog
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Looks great, however, I think the screws are distracting.
A smaller sized screw might have been more appropriate.

:8)
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Aw, the first thing I get to finish in years and I get rivet counted right outta the gate... :cry:

I'm not actually sure they're supposed to be screws, but I saw screws on a couple fan interpretations and liked it. I think I matched the size pretty well personally, but everything in WH40k is chunky anyway and it looks way less stark in person. They could easily be rivets... Hard to tell one blob from another on a miniature:

http://www.paintingclinic.com/images/op ... bolter.jpg

I definitely want half-sphere slotted head screws on the real thing. Couldn't find any in a teeny tiny size though.

I think I've got some colors picked out, so stay tuned...

-Rog
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Whereas I didn't even notice the screws until I came back and looked at it a second time. Now that I have...yeah, they're a little distracting. Might
be some google eyes at the local craft store that would serve to cover 'em. Not quite hemispheric, but close enough I think.

That aside, its a neat looking build.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Eh, it's done at this point. I really don't get the chance to do much modeling, so I'm just glad to be finishing something. It was fun...anyone who doesn't like my mandible toe-in can go fly a kite. :P

I honestly think it's not going to be nearly as big of an issue once it's painted.

-Rog
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Good job, Rogviler! I was wishing it was sized for your hand - then I read the bit about it being a concept-trial. :)

I like it, screws and all. I think they add to the design. If I was gonna change them, I'd make them into hemispherical nuts. IMHO, metal constructs are supposed to be bolted/riveted/screwed together - I hate peened flanges, they always come adrift.

Stick to your guns!

;)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

As someone who has built a full sized one of these, you're right. There doesn't seem to be any way to get it to look not cartoony. I think yours looks proportionally just right.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. :8)

And...at long last it's finally done! Mainly it took me awhile to come up with a paint scheme. Even though I've never had an Imperial Fists army, I like the yellow and red together, and light colors would show off the details well, so that's where I headed.

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/9241/bolter1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img42/6426/bolter2.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/9403/bolter3.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/8219/bolter4.jpg

My idea of using aluminum for some of the panels to chip the paint worked out really well. It certainly doesn't get any more real than real. :)

Overall I'm happy with the "grunge of war" feel that was achieved.

If I left anything out, don't hesitate to ask. On to the next project...

-Rog
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Good job on it. Yes, the aluminum scratching looks very nice. And the screw heads are subdued after painting, just as you said. Can you bring it with you to CoMMiESFest? I'd like to have a look at it.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Thanks, man. I wish I could come to that, but I'm on the west slope. That's a bit of a drive for so early in the spring and I'm sure the taxes will barely be filed by then, so no money for cool stuff yet. :cry:

I'm itching to go to a convention too. Sucks living in the middle of nowhere...

-Rog
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Alas. Star Fest maybe?