Major, MAJOR score!

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Major, MAJOR score!

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I swear, I really don't know why I'm so lucky. According to the Chinese calender, I'm a Dragon, not a Rabbit, so that's not it. Maybe my descendents will be the first to explore the Ringworld . . .

Anyhoo, I was at a model club meeting a month back and a friend told me he had some spares, sprue, and photoetch that he didn't really want, and since I scratchbuild and kitbash he thought I might use it. It was just taking up space in his workroom, so he considered getting rid of it payment enough. I figured it was probably a shoebox of odds and ends, so I thought I could probably find at least something of value.

Imagine my shock when he shows up to last Saturday's build'n'bull with a HUGE green Rubbermaid container filled to the brim with sprue! :shock:

I couldn't believe it. There had to be at least fifty or a hundred sprue in there! :shock:

I of course thanked him profusely (it was like early Christmas!).

When I got it back to my apartment I set about looking over what I got: The box. The contents. You can see I wasn't joking when I said "to the brim".

I started taking stuff out, laying it out on my bed first. Then it became quickly apparent I would have to move to the floor. That was just one pile of sprue. There were two more, including a bunch of fuselages.

That's not all. Remember the photoetch? There were about 15 frets, as well as one fret that was cut into several pieces, presumably to keep various sub-assemblies together. Check it out! There's even a whole, unadulterated fret of ship railing! That'll come in handy, I'm sure. :wink: There were a bunch of loose part in the bottom of the box, too. A good deal of them were resin and white metal. I'll be using them for sure.

I actually stopped taking out parts from the bottom of the box before I took that last pic, so that's actually not all of it.

I had begun snipping the parts from the sprues when I got them home, and I'm still not done. The clear bits I saved for last because they require special care, and I'm halfway through the photoetch, which I'm putting in a pill box like so.

I am still sort of in shock at the sheer magnitude of this gift! I've gotta karma-bomb this guy, maybe with a brand new kit of some sort. He builds jets, so I think a nice new Tamiya 1:32 F-16 or F-18 would show my appreciation. Generosity like this deserves generosity in return, after all, and the net worth of all of this exceeds the amount I'd pay for one of those kits. :D
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

You must make a burnt offering in praise to the model gods.

:D

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

That's not a Major score, that a 5 Star General score!
Winners don't use question marks!
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Hmm . . . do two majors make a general?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

I can't be too envious-I've had luck like that come my way a time or
two. ( But you could have gone on all day without mention the PE
railings-that stuff's Expensive! :D )

Congrats, man-put it to good use.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Thom
Location: Ithaca NY - ten square miles surrounded by reality!

Post by Thom »

Would this guy like to be friends with me too..? [-o<

Awesome score there, Mil.

Envy of your peers is assured. :shock:
Dictators do not make things 'great.'

My builds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114506626@N06/sets/
Ramsayman

Post by Ramsayman »

=P~