Cost of 3D Printing?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Cost of 3D Printing?

Post by El Gato »

So I designed this little thing (about 6 cm x3 cm x3 cm) and asked the printer guys that my wife's firm uses for their stuff and I got a quote of $150. I didn't expect it to be cheap, but I didn't expect it to be that, either. Think of something with somewhat of a complex shape... and please indicate if you think that price is consistent with what you know.
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Lets see the shape. Is it that complicated that it NEEDS to be 3D printed?
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by El Gato »

Sort of. Think of a three dimensional "Hecho en Mexico" eagle:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... MDE1URamtA

I would have to figure out how to make a jpg out of Google SketchUp
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

Ziz

Post by Ziz »

How "3D"? You're using it for a display base? I can hook you up with a friend who does engraving if that's all you need it for. He did the master for my Work Bee display base.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by El Gato »

Thanks Ziz, but it's not a base. Its the "head" of a concept TOS-era Warbird scratchbuild idea I have. That's what's giving me pause about the cost because it's meant to go on a one-off model

nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Shapeways (haters gonna hate) offers an "image extruder" process. Basically it can take a black and white image and print it to whatever your specs are. Material choice might be limited...but worth some research.
Adam Baker

Post by Adam Baker »

Keep in mind that 3D printing goes by volume, and what you have is a pretty decent size (54 cm3), so its not going to be especially cheap.
skymods

Post by skymods »

El Gato wrote:I would have to figure out how to make a jpg out of Google SketchUp
That's simple, go to

File>>Export>>2d Graphic

It will save a jpg of your current screen.

Dave
G-man

Post by G-man »

nicholassagan wrote:Shapeways (haters gonna hate) offers an "image extruder" process. Basically it can take a black and white image and print it to whatever your specs are. Material choice might be limited...but worth some research.
Yes, I hate shapeways. But for a person doing a one off, who doesn't mind taking the time to clean the parts, and hasnt built the connections in the prototyping industry that i have allowing me to catch breaks on prices, It is a very nice alternative to getting it printed at a more high end printer who specializes in production quality parts,

That's all i have to say about that :)

George
Follow Catalyst Creations on face book!
Or
On The Web!
Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

Adam Baker wrote:Keep in mind that 3D printing goes by volume, and what you have is a pretty decent size (54 cm3), so its not going to be especially cheap.
At least at Shapeways it goes by volume of material finally needed. So a hollow variant will be MUCH cheaper than a solid one.
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. Shapeways may be the route I go. I'll have to find out if they can print at angles:

View of the part from the top:

_
/ \
----

I can split that in half and have them print both halves... :-k

El Gato

Post by El Gato »

skymods wrote:
El Gato wrote:I would have to figure out how to make a jpg out of Google SketchUp
That's simple, go to

File>>Export>>2d Graphic

It will save a jpg of your current screen.

Dave
Thanks, Dave

nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

But remember to keep it black and white and use the parallel projection view. That way any perspective effects will be negated.
skymods

Post by skymods »

nicholassagan wrote:But remember to keep it black and white and use the parallel projection view. That way any perspective effects will be negated.
True, but if the purpose of the jpg is to post here just for illustration purposes, then this doesn't matter.

Dave
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Oh, you guys still want to see it? :lol: OK, I'll post the pic here tonight

El Gato

Post by El Gato »

The idea came from looking at an RBoP and seeing the curvature of the ship as half a warbird. If I were to attach two RBoPs together by connecting the top of the nacelles it would create a TOS version of a warbird.

The question became what to do with the head. Since TOS had an art decco flavor in its ship designs, most notably on the Gray Lady herself, I went that route. Unfortunately nothing was sticking as a good design for the ship; the shapes were too complex and detailed for the minimalist design that was an RBoP. In addition, subsequent designs hinted at a bird but were not explicit about it (Valdore notwithstanding). I needed some art decco-ish bird of prey that was minimalist in design but still conveyed a bird-shape.

Thinking about it on the drive in to work one morning I was passed by a truck with an "Hecho en Mexico" sticker on the rear glass with the eagle and that's when it hit me. This is what I came up with:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j25/m ... scaled.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j25/m ... caled2.jpg

What do you guys think? The final design is not curved in the back but straight across. It would mean cutting into the curve at the front of the RBoP to make it work, but still.

What's left is designing rectangular nacelles and a "tail." Then I would have what I call a prototype warbird

Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

For the 3D part you show and the sizes you quote, $150 is not outrageous. Shopping around might get you a little discount, but not much. Or it might not.

The shape will generally be less expensive to prototype if it is hollow, so investigate shelling it out with a wall thickness of 1-2mm. That would save you some (and maybe a LOT) of money depending upon the exact process the guy is using.

HTH

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Thanks, I hadn't explored the option of hollowing it out with the vendor. It might make a difference

Michel007
Spammer - Locked

Post by Michel007 »

...Spam...
chasd25

Post by chasd25 »

Contact John Vegher at Moddler

http://www.moddler.com/

He does ALOT of small parts for us. his quality is top notch, and prices very reasonable. Tell him Charlie at Sputnik referred you.

Charlie
wenshidi

Post by wenshidi »

For CAD design (hollowing, watertighting etc) as well as actual 3D printing, I have successfully used people on fiverr.com. I would be happy to recommend individual designers and printers if you are still interested.