Problem with brass to brass joint

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Heavy Melder

Problem with brass to brass joint

Post by Heavy Melder »

Howdy.

Have a problem I've been beating my brain over, and have a couple of solutions in mind, I thought I'd bounce it off the forum and see what else might come up.

I'm (RE)building the Fantastic Plastic 1/350 botany bay and am at the part on the aft end of the ship, where the solar panels/collector/thingiemabobbers come off the engine section. I'm using 1/16" brass rod for the out rigger bits. The problem is that I have to join it together at 90 degree angle to another piece of brass 1/16" rod to support the panels. Naturally I want a good solid joint, or as solid as I can get.

My ideas for a solution:
A) Epoxy. I would of course file out the end of piece of brass to fit the round of the other piece of brass to get the best possible fit, but it's still a butt joint. This is the easiest method I have in mind.
Problem: I'm not sure epoxy would be all that strong a joint with these materials and the nature of the joint. Am I being over worried about that?

B) Solder the joint. Same as above, file it to a best possible fit.
Problem: Don't have anything to solder with so I would have to get someone else to do the work. I'm assuming this joint would be stronger then the epoxy joint, but I'm not sure by how much if at all.

C) Drill a 1/32" hole in the end of the outrigger portion of the 1/16" rod and a hole in the brass portion supporting the panels and use a 1/32" piece of the rod to pin them together. This increases the surface area of the joint quite a bit and would be a very strong joint.
Problem: Not too sure I could pull this off with my present equipment, plus drilling the end of the 1/16" rod would be very hard to do, not to mention I'm not sure a 1/32" bit would up to the task, but I could be wrong about that.

Anyway, I could be over thinking this whole thing, but I thought I'd see if anybody out there had any insights or thoughts on what I came up with so far.

Thanks for your time whoever you may be.
Aaron 'HARLOCK' Propper
"I don't understand any of this! But when we get in the giant robots, WE MUST FIGHT!"

"This is how Adirmal Okita fights."
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Solder would be my first choice since that's what it does best, attach metals together. I thought about brazing or a silver solder but the melting points of both are so high you'd probably warp the rods first.

You're on the right track with filing the joint to get it to fit as tight as possible.

Ken
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

File & solder, it's your best & strongest bet. If you don't have a soldering iron, get one or buy a butane torch and experiment.
Abolish Alliteration
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Kylwell wrote:File & solder, it's your best & strongest bet. If you don't have a soldering iron, get one or buy a butane torch and experiment.
With plenty of flux.
Heavy Melder

Post by Heavy Melder »

Kylwell wrote:File & solder, it's your best & strongest bet. If you don't have a soldering iron, get one or buy a butane torch and experiment.
hrmmm.....mini butane torch? hadn't thought of that....
Aaron 'HARLOCK' Propper
"I don't understand any of this! But when we get in the giant robots, WE MUST FIGHT!"

"This is how Adirmal Okita fights."
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

56% silver solder if you can work it...
Strongest joint you can get. If you can flow it properly, there
will be very little filing or grinding to clean up the joint.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... 78.2629346

:8)
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
asdqwe
Spammer - Locked

Post by asdqwe »

:spam:
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

You might not even need a mini butane torch: an ol' cigarette lighter oughta do it.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.