Re:Purging and Deletion of Topics/Threads

Just what it implies.
Zubie

Re:Purging and Deletion of Topics/Threads

Post by Zubie »

onezero wrote: (re:http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... 3#p1106443)
Topics that do not have a reply in a set amount of time (14 days in the most active forums, 30 days in others) will be deleted...(The only exceptions are the Construction, Finishing and Lighting forums - topics there do not get automatically deleted, but may be trimmed if the administrators decide they are redundant or otherwise not useful)
How does one request permanence?

I ask because while it is logical we don't keep stuff forever (Sturgeon's Law definitely applies to discussion groups) there are some threads that try to collect links from everybody: a kind of "found it on the internet" for a particular topic area. The nature of those threads make it hard to blogify (being that they may have many authors). Now there are some permanent threads along those lines like the Buran-Dynasoar ref thread, but there are others that really survive on personal sponsorship in a sense, meaning some kind soul makes it a point to post something every couple of weeks or so to keep it alive (like publiusr). The card modeling area had a "40k goodness" thread for quite some time (years?) with lots and lots of posts and many download links (which is the stash source for card modelers), but I just noticed it is gone now. Admittedly you can go to papermodelers.com and find a similar thread there, but still. As far as I know the "books, Books, BOOKS" thread is fair game for deletion if it doesn't get replied to which would be a shame for anybody looking for a good read.

Full disclosure: I've recently started a general SF art thread on the Virtual Designs and other Art area and have been trying to post something every couple of weeks or so (at least once a month). I'd also like to start a thread for podcasts and audio streams. I don't mind being the "sponsor", but I'm too scatter brained to be sure I'll reply before it goes away.

So the permanence question is; do we pm the request of a moderator? do it publicly? is there a flag? Is this the same as a sticky? anything but turning a thread into a poll which for some things is nonsensical (and some of those polls could probably go away too).

Kind regards...Z
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Re: Re:Purging and Deletion of Topics/Threads

Post by onezero »

Ask me nicely and catch me on a good day.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.
naoto

Post by naoto »

Wound an appropriate ...(shatnerian pause)... tribute expedite the process? :wink:
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

[extreme_deference]
[meekness=mild]
[smile=full]
[gratitude=on value=high]

Could deletion be set to "last time seen" as opposed to last time replied to?
Many thanks
Z
(It is Friday - TGIF)

[/extreme_deference]
[/meekness]
[/smile]
[/gratitude]
...dang kids! get off my lawn!
onezero
Site Admin

Post by onezero »

I actually don't know. I'll have to look.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.
rayra

Post by rayra »

very disappointing. Went to a lot of trouble building a topic on my Falcon build, lighting, painting techniques - TWICE, after photobucket pulled their extortion stunt - just to find out now that it's been erased / pruned. I cannot fathom why those genre forums are being so ruthlessly erased. So many people's work, techniques just erased. what the hell?
Especially in these days of cheap storage and bandwidth it doesnt make any sense at all. Surely some stronger squirrels can be arranged? An unlimited storage / unlimited bandwidth website costs all of ~$135/yr

I admin a discussion forum that right now sits at 653820 Posts in 94519 Topics and our SQL database is running just fine. Just don't see a reason why all that modelmaking history and reference was just thrown away?
Signature Intentionally Left Blank
Tracy White

Post by Tracy White »

Hey Rayra - how often do you personally handle the backups on that message board? How big is the database backup and how long does it take to run the backup and then copy it down to your home system? How about the upload and restore when you test that?

There are actually some good reasons for keeping things nice and clean. I'm not saying I haven't missed some threads that have auto-pruned, but I doubt the settings were put where they are out of malicious intent or lack of caring.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
onezero
Site Admin

Post by onezero »

Take a look at the construction and lighting sub-forums. Those do not get pruned. Notice anything? Besides how the same questions and topics keep coming up? Maybe because it's too much of a pain to search for the answer in 10 years of posts?
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

I have used my notification to the Books,books, books thread for about 10 years as a means to access the forum. It was the only link I have had since I haven't received notifications when I posted on other threads for years.

Now I see that it is gone and all the forum sites only have one page when before there were two or more on some.

Have all the old treads been purged so there is just one page per forum?
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!