Forum Upgrade Coming

Just what it implies.
onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Forum Upgrade Coming

Post by onezero » Wed May 10, 2017 2:08 pm

We are going to attempt to upgrade these Forums all the way to the latest and greatest version over the weekend of 13-14 May. We will be down for several hours, hopefully just on Saturday night.

Further bulletins as events warrant.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

My friends wanted to go cow-tipping, but I've always been a firm believer that they should just be paid a living wage...

Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker » Wed May 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Best of luck- just do not get the robots mad (they have an odd sense of humor when irritated...)
'Standing ankle deep in the Sea of Dreams...'

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/

John P

Post by John P » Wed May 10, 2017 2:37 pm

I won't get to see it until Tuesday, when I get back from visiting Mom. Try to have it working perfectly by then, willya?
;)

DaveVan

Post by DaveVan » Wed May 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Photos in post part of this??? Or am I dreaming I saw a post about that here??? Thanks...good luck......Have not run an outage in 15 years.....and don't miss it!!
30,000 miles on Amtrak in words and pics...
http://www.currtail.com

Feikki

Post by Feikki » Wed May 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Great news! Could also change the config that deletes the inactive threads? This place would be treasure trove if it had all the info from the past years. It might also increase the wip threads as all your hard work writing reports and sharing pics wouldn't disappear after short hiatus with your eternal project.

Rogviler

Post by Rogviler » Wed May 10, 2017 4:06 pm

^ Yes, I know I would post more constructive stuff. It would feel less like a place where cranky old farts come just to complain about movies and TV shows. :P

-Rog
You can now buy gluten-free apples and non-GMO water. We are truly living in the future!

naoto

Post by naoto » Wed May 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Rogviler wrote:^ Yes, I know I would post more constructive stuff. It would feel less like a place where cranky old farts come just to complain about movies and TV shows. :P

-Rog
"You kids get off my lawn!"
Naoto Kimura
木村直人

Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo » Wed May 10, 2017 5:57 pm

From what I remember you saying a while back, this should make a lot of folks happy. Good luck to 'em, and you - hope all goes smoothly.
The Dragon never sleeps. But he does like a spot of tea, now and then.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Wed May 10, 2017 7:18 pm

Does it taste like chicken? (I just had to ask)

onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Post by onezero » Wed May 10, 2017 9:22 pm

Feikki wrote:Great news! Could also change the config that deletes the inactive threads? This place would be treasure trove if it had all the info from the past years. It might also increase the wip threads as all your hard work writing reports and sharing pics wouldn't disappear after short hiatus with your eternal project.
Actually, I could change that now.

But look at "Lighting" and "Scratchbuilding" forums and see how often the same old questions come up because no one reads the archive (just as no one goes to the second page of a google search).

OK, "on the bench" is probably worthy of eternal archive, but other forums? Really not.

Look inside your heart - you know it to be true.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

My friends wanted to go cow-tipping, but I've always been a firm believer that they should just be paid a living wage...

PACinT

Post by PACinT » Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 pm

If you do allow pics in a post, pls consider a maximum limit.

Browsing from my phone(speed no limit) but on other forae you get 20-30 images often with only an angle difference of 2-3 degrees. After that the whole post gets quoted and requoted causing extra and unneeded scrolling past multiple copies of same images.

A few sample pics followed by a link to the album.

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Wed May 10, 2017 11:36 pm

onezero wrote:Actually, I could change that now.

But look at "Lighting" and "Scratchbuilding" forums and see how often the same old questions come up because no one reads the archive (just as no one goes to the second page of a google search).

OK, "on the bench" is probably worthy of eternal archive, but other forums? Really not.

Look inside your heart - you know it to be true.
Please, at least lengthen the limit. As it is, just a month or so is too short. It would be nice to have the ability to go back at least a year. We're only dealing in kilobytes because it's not like any images are stored on this forum, and it is the 21st century after all.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
We're gonna stab your daughter at the mall. Ah aaah aaah! We're gonna stab your wife, your son. Oooooh!

Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso » Thu May 11, 2017 1:01 am

I think now may be a good time (if you like this site and suggest "improvements") to make a donation to the cause? When was the last time any of us did that?
I got a sweater for Christmas last year. hope I get a screamer this year...

rayra

Post by rayra » Thu May 11, 2017 1:54 am

dont forget or neglect to do a full site backup before you begin the upgrade.

and it's a terrible shame that older topics are being pruned on a site like this. It would indeed be a valuable resource to search farther back.
You can always re-set a prune or archiving feature if things somehow get unwieldy. But with just text in the forums it really should not be an issue. Especially not these days.
You can get an unlimited hosting plan for as little as $140/yr, if disc space / bandwidth constraints have been an issue on the site side.
Signature Intentionally Left Blank

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Thu May 11, 2017 3:18 am

Fantastic.

I would sooner post stuff here than on Bookface or whatever its called.

It would be great to post pictures.

Is there anyway though, that doing a quote would only quore the text and leave the picture in the original post... so you don't get long thread of mostly the same picture.

John P

Post by John P » Thu May 11, 2017 6:45 am

If images in signatures are going to be allowed, I think we all need to limit ourselves on that. I've been on model forums (I think FineScale does it), where some sigs are compilations of logos for all their favorite organizations, pictures of their favorite models, their wives and dogs, plus five lines of favorite movie quotes. So each post has a photo collage under it that covers half a screen. Let's NOT do that here, 'kay?

Arronax
Location: Orlando FL (originally from England but I expect my accent gave me away, didn't it)

Post by Arronax » Thu May 11, 2017 8:46 am

John P wrote:If images in signatures are going to be allowed, I think we all need to limit ourselves on that. I've been on model forums (I think FineScale does it), where some sigs are compilations of logos for all their favorite organizations, pictures of their favorite models, their wives and dogs, plus five lines of favorite movie quotes. So each post has a photo collage under it that covers half a screen. Let's NOT do that here, 'kay?
What he said. Ditto.
Jim

---------------------
Something, something, something, donkey balls

The Arbiter
Location: Lynchburg VA, USA, Earth, Sol System - Sector 001, Grid 165, Milky Way Galaxy, Species 5618

Post by The Arbiter » Thu May 11, 2017 11:47 am

John P wrote:If images in signatures are going to be allowed, I think we all need to limit ourselves on that. I've been on model forums (I think FineScale does it), where some sigs are compilations of logos for all their favorite organizations, pictures of their favorite models, their wives and dogs, plus five lines of favorite movie quotes. So each post has a photo collage under it that covers half a screen. Let's NOT do that here, 'kay?
Sounds like you have been hanging out on some of the Mustang forum. Man, good info, nice rides, but the sigs constitute an article in and of themselves.
"Is this a beer I see before me, the bottle toward my hand? Come, let me drink thee. I have thee not, and yet I taste thee still... art thou not, tasty vision, sensible, to taste-buds as to sight?" - Shakesbeer

zysurge

Post by zysurge » Thu May 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Some forum softwares allow you to disable displaying of other people's signatures. I usually do that when I can, because i have no interest in seeing that stuff.

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe » Thu May 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Forgive me if I am asking a dumb question but will the archived threads in the Finishing and Construction forums be lost? Specifically I am asking about stuff like the Aves thread and the airbrushing threads. There's a lot of good stuff in there that gets referenced. Full disclosure: I am a little biased since I've contributed a lot to them.

Whatever happens, Boss, fair winds and smooth seas to you.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.

Saturn

Post by Saturn » Thu May 11, 2017 12:49 pm

Hoping we can embed YT videos and hoping there will be image size and dimension limits. Someone always tries to link a +3000 px image without resizing/recompressing- and you're stuck horizontally scrolling a window to read text.

I'm okay with sig images if there's a size/dimension limit. Like a small web banner, 500x60px. Anything larger than that is obnoxious.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."

TheHawk

Post by TheHawk » Thu May 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Prayer to God & his computer

Bless again this day the mysterious computer
which awaits your power and my human effort.
Grant wisdom, knowledge and a clear memory to my mind
as I sit before this new creature of your infinite power.
Bless my heart with endless patience whenever needed.
Guide my hands that I may be your faithful servant in every key I press.
Enable my limited efforts to bring glory to your Name
and blessings to your people everywhere.
Delete me not from your Kingdom
and save me from all fear and from all error of sin and ignorance.

I whisper this prayer, mindful of the needs of all with whom and for whom I work,
through the power of your Word and the life-giving energy of your Spirit.

Amen

OR you may like:

Prayer to the Computer God
This is to be used when trying to get on the internet, or when for some reason your computer just won't work.
What to do:

1. Cross your middle and pointer finger on both hands
2. Close your Eyes
3. Keep your face pointed to the screen or the sky (whatever feels comfortable)
4. Now say these words:
Oh minghty Bill Gates
Please let my computer work
If you do I will be forever Thankful
And promise to forever buy
Microsoft products
If you want to you may leave an offering to him, but there's really no point because he's got more money than we have, and whatever we can offer is probably chump change to him.

But prayer should be a bullet point on your upgrade check list. :D :8)

Andy_USA

Post by Andy_USA » Thu May 11, 2017 10:56 pm

As an author or some of them I would love to see the long term builds somehow kept. I got stuck on my skylab build and lost it even with it as a sticky. I have the issues resolved and was going to restart it after the Enterprise refit is finish. I am almost finished with assembly and about to start painting. I guess the last thing I will have to do is tell folks how to copy the thread to a word document for future use because it will 'POOF" after a month. Shame to last I looked it was up to 1834 views, not many replies I have been told they are looking and learning.
I guess the only answer to repetition would put a search option in certain areas so people could find things easier, just a thought.
Too many Captains....Not enough Engineers.
Founder Anti-Aztec Starship League :)

Finished Work for Kicks and Grins: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/l ... odelphotos
My Build Area http://s68.photobucket.com/user/law0941 ... bby%20Room

Pray For Our Country,She is in Trouble.
Andy_USA

rayra

Post by rayra » Fri May 12, 2017 1:34 am

yes it's really disheartening to see all that work flushed. Especially for something silly like 'redundancy'. What's worse, having multiple old topics on same subjects, or having to answer the same questions over and over and over, because the answers got pruned.
Keep the topics, add an effective search function so people find and USE the old topics, instead of creating a new duplicate.

SMF's forum software does these things. So does phpBB
Signature Intentionally Left Blank

Zubie

Post by Zubie » Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 am

While I agree there are threads that I don't miss, there are definitely others that do. I recall writing a rather long post on the modeling ST threads on my own research into the color the Smithsonian reported for the TOS-E. Later, I was browsing through the "finishing" and found a sticky post on paint equivalents and posted an update with regards to the URLs referenced (out of date) and figure I'd add the ones from the STmodeling post only to find they were gone. Fortunately I had quoted it in a paper modeling forum that I could retrieve and used that to source the post on finishing. I don't know how many people will look at it, but I would like to think that it can help modelers find paint references that are more useful than being "like" this or that often locally sourced paint ref.

I might not post regularly on modeling basics but I do browse through it periodically and find good stuff.
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo)

Tracy White

Post by Tracy White » Fri May 12, 2017 8:56 am

As an IT guy who has done many an upgrade, good luck and may the "doing stuff, please wait" messages be short in time and number!
Tracy White
Researcher@Large

SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

TheHawk wrote: Oh mighty Bill Gates
Microsoft products
Heretic! Blasphemer! There is but one computer, Apple, and Steve Jobs is its Prophet!
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark

naoto

Post by naoto » Fri May 12, 2017 1:45 pm

SpaceRanger1 wrote:
TheHawk wrote: Oh mighty Bill Gates
Microsoft products
Heretic! Blasphemer! There is but one computer, Apple, and Steve Jobs is its Prophet!
Resistance is Futile
http://cheezburger.com/6793711616
Naoto Kimura
木村直人

Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun » Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 pm

I've done it a couple times in my lab with a copy of the database, and it went relatively smoothly. Didn't lose any data either. Hopefully the boards won't be off for too long.
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

b5ranger99

Post by b5ranger99 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:45 pm

John et ali,

Best of luck.

Just beware of Windows updates if that is the operating system.

I am now into hour two of applying updates to my development server and spent 8 hours a couple weeks ago applying updates to the server at the church I attend.

Both units are set to download and apply updates during "quiet" periods, not yet clear why they were not applied.
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."

Dukhat, Babylon 5