Hacker alert

Just what it implies.
Andy_USA

Hacker alert

Post by Andy_USA »

I hate to mention this to everyone but there's been a rash of hacked accounts in Twitter and PayPal. https://xkcd.com/936/ please change your passwords AND if you haven't already, activate a 2 Factor Authentication IF you have the ability to do so.
Please pray for America, she is still sick !!! :(
Stay Safe, Mask Up
Andy_USA :rifles:
Tracy White

Re: Hacker alert

Post by Tracy White »

A lot of accounts get hacked when users receive emails that request the user log in for some reason. If you receive a "your account was locked" or "please update your account" from any vendor, it is far, far safer to *not* click on the emailed links and simply open a browser window and type in the address or use a bookmark. Otherwise, you are likely hitting a server that looks just like Paypal, twitter, etc., but is designed soley to harvest your user name and password so that hackers can log in to your account and do things with it. I had a client at work recently have an email account compromised this way and the hacker set up mail forwarding so they could monitor what was being sent and send out emails - one was an attempted million-dollar wire transfer heist.

Side note - I wish Microsoft's Office365 spam and malware filters were better :P
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
naoto

Post by naoto »

Tracy White wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:17 pm Side note - I wish Microsoft's Office365 spam and malware filters were better :P
The simple way to assure you don't get any spam in your Inbox is have the filter to tag *everythying* as spam. :wink:
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Arronax
Location: Orlando FL (originally from England but I expect my accent gave me away, didn't it)

Post by Arronax »

Don't know if it does any good but if you get a spoof e-mail from PayPal, forward it, without opening, to Spoof@Paypal.com.
Jim

---------------------
Something, something, something, donkey balls
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

Don't you have to open the email to bring up the forwarding capability.
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
Wug

Post by Wug »

xkcd is the comic for computer security.

https://xkcd.com/327/
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Andy_USA wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:53 pm I hate to mention this to everyone but there's been a rash of hacked accounts in Twitter and PayPal.
Where did you hear this? Can you cite a corroborating news article or a reputable tech news site that's not xkcd?
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Colin

Post by Colin »

Arronax wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:33 pm Don't know if it does any good but if you get a spoof e-mail from PayPal, forward it, without opening, to Spoof@Paypal.com.
If you live in the UK, you should also forward the email to the National Fraud Investigation Bureau:

NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk
Scale Modellers do it with precision
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Every major company usually has a special email address you can forward the phishing spam to- I sent one this morning pretending to be from Amazon.

There are many tells to help determine if a message is legit or not. I use GMail and if I hover the mouse over the sender it will show the originating address, no matter what the main listing shows. Legit ones also typically use your real name as listed with them and do not provide a link, they tell you to log into your account and deal with the matter there. Poor spelling or weird phrasing is a dead giveaway- Amazon or PayPal is not going to send you a message in broken English.
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
TooOld4This

Post by TooOld4This »

Wug wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:17 pm xkcd is the comic for computer security.

https://xkcd.com/327/
yeeees.....

I almost smiled...once...
battlestar62

Post by battlestar62 »

Thank you.