Who's ready for a new Challenge Build?

Use at least one plate (size, shape, quantity, etc., are builder's choice) as the basis for a “Sci-Fi thing” build. <B>Deadline: 1 Sptember 2017</B>

Moderator: Moderators

Scotaidh

Who's ready for a new Challenge Build?

Post by Scotaidh »

It has occurred to me that it's been a while since we last had a build challenge here.

What say you - who's up for it?
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I still gotta finish my Hover tank! :oops:
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
John O

Post by John O »

I want to be focused enough for a challenge build. THAT would be the challenge for me. :shock:

John O.
"This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather."
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

What kind of model did you have in mind?
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Blappy wrote:I still gotta finish my Hover tank! :oops:
Same here. I re-rediscovered the turret that I need right before Wonderfest.
________
Joe Brown
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Anyways... I have sidetracked your thread!

What did you have in mind?
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Where the hell are my pants!
Abolish Alliteration
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Well, here's what I was thinking.

''Plates-In-Space'' Challenge

1) Use at least one plate (size, shape, quantity, etc., are builder's choice) as the basis for a “Sci-Fi thing” build. It would be nice if the plate was evident in the build.

2) Entrants will have one calendar year from 1 September, 2016 to complete the build – but you can bring it to WF2017 for extra appreciation.

3) I would like, if they are willing, for the Beautiful Ladies of StarShipModeler to judge the results. BLoSSM includes any ladies associated with SSM, be they modelers, models, spouses, significant others, daughters, and all other manner of women associated with our peculiar madness.

4) Because of Rule 3, entrants must post pictures of their builds by 1 September, 2017, so BloSSM can render their verdicts.

5) Each judge may dispense as many votes as there are entrants.

6) The term “Sci-Fi Thing” includes any generally accepted combination of science and fiction, from Star Base to hover-skates.

7) Entrants may use anything they wish in the build, so long as they include at least one plate. Putty, found items, kit-bits, whole kits, sealing-wax – whatever you wish is OK, with the exception of animal products

So - is this a rubbish idea, or do you like it? :)
Last edited by Scotaidh on Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitry
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Damn and blast. I've have plates. Also, a clock.

I'm in.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

We actually bought some styrene plates for wafflefest.
Abolish Alliteration
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I do have a number of styrene plates in varying sized from the dollar store for creations such as this....
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Thom
Location: Ithaca NY - ten square miles surrounded by reality!

Post by Thom »

A year? I can probably do that in a year. :|

Also, I must say that I love the BloSSM moniker. :thumbsup:
Dictators do not make things 'great.'

My builds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114506626@N06/sets/
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

Wow! I've been gone from modeling an this site for like 6-10 months an I come back just in time for this! I'm in! I just bought a house that I'll be moving Into in abouva month so I'll be packing/looking at all my parts. So I could plan this out nicely. Andsinc my bench will be getting cleared and reset at the new place I can dedicate it to just this.

So pm me if this takes flight. I really need to get building again to destress for a while. It's been a crazy year.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Before anything else is decided, we should hear from the members of BLoSSM, as to whether or not they are willing to undertake the daunting task of judging.

Including me, that makes six entrants, so far. Raiser13, if you want in - you're in. I like to keep things simple, so as of 1 September of this year, I will start my Plate-in-Space build whether anyone else does or not, and with or without judges, although without the judges it really wouldn't be much of a contest. :)

I would like to state that although I have thought about this long enough to think it would be fun, I have in no way started even the thought process for this. other than deciding a possible source for suitable platters (Dollar Store, in case anyone wondered).

Also, I feel I must post -

Rule 8) Entrants should post a picture of their chosen plate(s) before they post any pictures of their build. ''In Progress'' photos will always be appreciated but are not required.

PS. Raiser13, congrats on the house! :) It's a great feeling to know you finally own the place where-in you dwell, and that you can paint/alter how you wish. :)
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Once we hear from BLoSSM, I'll ask a moderator to move this thread to the Contests bloc - but really, until they issue a decision, we don't quite have a contest yet.
Dimitry
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

I'm in then! YAY!
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I'm in. We just moved into our new house a week ago, and I don't even have a workbench set up yet, but I'm game. I enjoyed being part of the Traveling Model Project, so . . . what the heck! New house . . . new challenge! :D
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Andy_USA

Post by Andy_USA »

Add one more, sounds like an interesting idea for a scratch/kitbash idea. Only problem I might have is my wife might enter to, and BEAT me!, that would be embarrassing :oops:
Please pray for America, she is still sick !!! :(
Stay Safe, Mask Up
Andy_USA :rifles:
raser13

Post by raser13 »

I wouldn't complain. I'd do back flips down the street if my wife wanted to start model building. :D speaking of the traveling models. I know it's a sore nerve, what ever happened with those?
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

raser13 wrote:I wouldn't complain. I'd do back flips down the street if my wife wanted to start model building. :D speaking of the traveling models. I know it's a sore nerve, what ever happened with those?
You yo go check the forum section for those you'll see where the Canadian one is at. I have one almost finished and the other is going back to Johnnycrash.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

I will give it a go....

wife Jen Trillian here would prob like to judge. How would that work with me in ??

Just to be clear you mean standard ceramic dinner plate... Or plastic picnic one :D
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

stargazer wrote:...standard ceramic dinner plate... Or plastic picnic one :D
Yes. As long as it's a plate, you can play.

Scotaidh wrote:... – whatever you wish is OK, with the exception of animal products[/color]
So, no leather, feathers, natural glues...
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Johnnycrash wrote:
stargazer wrote:...standard ceramic dinner plate... Or plastic picnic one :D
Yes. As long as it's a plate, you can play.

Scotaidh wrote:... – whatever you wish is OK, with the exception of animal products[/color]
So, no leather, feathers, natural glues...
Stargazer, welcome! :) I am planning to use plastic plates from a thrift store - on my way home I bought several different sizes. Whatever I don't use in the build will become parts trays or even used to serve finger-foods to guests. :) I wouldn't use ceramic or china - too heavy and fragile for my taste. Unless, of course, you've got glue for that and really want to, in which case, as you will. :)

Johnnycrash, you got it. Call it a whim. :)

We're now up to an even dozen happy would-be entrants, but I still have not heard from BLoSSM, so it may all be moot ...

Kywell, Sue is a member in good standing, (as are Ti Raven, TheTami, ThePrincessOfStyrene, and, of course, the Lady Boss herself, LindaSmile, as are many others whom I cannot recall just now). I don't suppose you could ask her directly for us? :)

Ian, that goes for Jenn, as well, of course. :)

If she wants to enter the contest too, that's fine.

Ahem -

Rule 9) Members of BLoSSM may be entrants as well as judges, without endangering their status as Judge. Who they vote for is a matter for their own consciences, and no-one else, ever.
Dimitry
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I'd love to participate in this. :) I have a few ideas that I've been wanting to model anyway that would use a plate as a basis for a big round... thingie.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Great game on.

Jen would not do a model.. She just enjoys seeing finished ones.

Is there a ladies section in starship eg ... "but I still have not heard from BLoSSM," and " Rule 9) Members of BLoSSM"

that Jen should join ?
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

stargazer wrote:Great game on.

Jen would not do a model.. She just enjoys seeing finished ones.

Is there a ladies section in starship eg ... "but I still have not heard from BLoSSM," and " Rule 9) Members of BLoSSM"

that Jen should join ?

The whole ''BLoSSM'' thing is my little joke, Ian. We have over here a thing known as GLOW - Glorious Ladies Of Wrestling - a women's professional wrestling league.

BLoSSM - Beautiful Ladies of StarShipModeler - was my feeble attempt at a humerous reference to all the lovely women in our modeling lives; the ladies that put up with us and tolerate our particular form of GBR (that's Galloping Brain Rot, for you non-British).

Thus, in the sense that I meant it, Jen is alread'y a member in good standing (for as long as she wishes to be - we don't coerce anyone here), courtesy of your participation here at SSM.

By this standard, so is my lady wife, Lori, and all the other long-suffering ladies in our collective lives ... In fact, Lori may be ''in'' a bit deeper than some, because she once helped me paint a model - SMS Hengboku - picked the colour and applied it, only letting me see it when she was done.

As to Jen building a model for this challenge - well, I don't know what she likes to do for fun. (A woman at work to whom I mentioned this challenge idea said that if it were her, she'd load up her plate with food - which led me off into a brief visualization of a flat-plate cargo platform with a fried egg for the crew compartment, two bangers for engines, and, in between, the cargo - bearing a strange resemblance to a heap baked beans, two slices of toast, hash browns, and some folded rashers of bacon ... And the toy industry here has all those food products available in plastic replicas for childrens' play kitchen set-ups ...) I do know that if she wanted to give it a go she'd be more than welcome. :)

Perhaps an RNLI space-going development? "Space shall not have them" kind of thing? I can't imagine what that might look like. :)

My point was (supposed to be) that she's equally welcome as Judge and/or Executor. ;)
Dimitry
raser13

Post by raser13 »

I think I'm going to add an extra challenge to myself. I'm going to try to see how many plastic wares I can utilize. Knifes, spoons, forks, glasses, ect. I can fit into this thing. Hopefully I can sneak a lot in. Might hit up the wedding cake section, see how many parts I can use there too.

We aught to come up with a really hard to use utensil or part. The have a kudos for being able to integrate it into your model. Maybe announce it halfway through the comp to make things interesting. Whatcha think? Kind of a challenge within a challenge.
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

raser13 wrote:I think I'm going to add an extra challenge to myself. I'm going to try to see how many plastic wares I can utilize. Knifes, spoons, forks, glasses, ect. I can fit into this thing. Hopefully I can sneak a lot in. Might hit up the wedding cake section, see how many parts I can use there too.

We aught to come up with a really hard to use utensil or part. The have a kudos for being able to integrate it into your model. Maybe announce it halfway through the comp to make things interesting. Whatcha think? Kind of a challenge within a challenge.
I like the sound of that, Raser, but so far this Challenge is stalled waiting for the ladies to respond. I know there's time still, but I was hoping for at least one nibble by now.

I may have to go to Plan B, which would be to make all the entrants their own judges, with the same number of points to award - but I wanted some new eyes with different ways of seeing things, of evaluating and weighing our results. That is why I asked BLoSSM to help us out.

As to the Challenge-within-the-Challenge, that would be tough. We all see things differently, so what's impossible to me is a piece of cake to you, and vice versa. But, if you want that level of difficulty, here it is - incorporate a bulldog clip (those black flat-metal clips with the silver folding handles) into your build. :)
Dimitry
raser13

Post by raser13 »

Ooooooo, I like it! That's good dificult piece to add. Challenge excepted. You might see if one zero could give you a list opp f female members. Then you could pm the directly and ask for volunteers.

My wife said she would if you need judges. She not a member yet as she doesn't model. And, well, she doesn't model. :oops: but she can still judge on "aesthetics and coolness". And you don't have to worry about favoritism. My wife would judge mine harder just to be evil. :evil: So that would be up to you guys.
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

raser13 wrote:Ooooooo, I like it! That's good dificult piece to add. Challenge excepted. You might see if one zero could give you a list opp f female members. Then you could pm the directly and ask for volunteers.

My wife said she would if you need judges. She not a member yet as she doesn't model. And, well, she doesn't model. :oops: but she can still judge on "aesthetics and coolness". And you don't have to worry about favoritism. My wife would judge mine harder just to be evil. :evil: So that would be up to you guys.
Raser, (and everyone else) - what you said of your lady wife - ''she can still judge on "aesthetics and coolness". '' - is exactly that for which I was looking. Someone who may have never built a model in their life, but is still willing to make a judgement based on how it appeals to her.

Please, would all you who have said you'd like in ask your better halves if they'd please consent to judge? That way they can use your log-in - as TheTami sometimes does with TheJimi's - to announce their decisions. :)
Dimitry