Who's ready for a new Challenge Build?

Use at least one plate (size, shape, quantity, etc., are builder's choice) as the basis for a “Sci-Fi thing” build. <B>Deadline: 1 Sptember 2017</B>

Moderator: Moderators

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

raser13 wrote:Yay! I'm in my new house!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: Now I just need to unpack. So this weekend will be shopping for parts for this challenge.

I've already got a pretty good idea what I'm doing for this build. Especially with a year to do it in I'm going to go all little big. And I even have a plan for the barrel clip that I have been we xtra challenged to put into the mix.

I'm going to try to mix in as many plastic utensils, glasses, plates,cups, and cake decorating stuff as I can. Really anything made to work with food.

I like these challenges, it's great for people newer to the hobby, or newly returning to the hobby ,to see that you can use almost anything in a scratch build. Or that you don't need to spend a fortune on parts or kits to make mods to your models. Heck you don't even need a kit just some plastic yard sale signs, some pens or makers, a glass or two. And you can make almost anything. Just takes looking at everyday objects in a new way.
Congrats on the house! :) And, on the successful move! Those always wipe me out - especially when I unpack my built models and survey the inevitable damge ... :( Still, now that I pack them in ziplock baggies, at least any loose parts are still there for re-attachment. :)

I'm still playing with my designs, getting them finalized. I like to play with shapes & designs on my computer - I'm still in that phase. I am thinking of making more than one build for this - at least two.

I've been haunting my local dollar store, and looking at those I pass with plans to go back to see what they may have that my local one doesn't ... :)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

Check party stores too. They have tons of different shaped plastic bowls,plates and such. And a lot of different shaped utensil handles. And so much, much more. And their usually not bad on price.

I think I'm going to be doing a station with a ship either docked, or orbiting. I might even make some support ships if I get time. Use some spoons for the saucer secions on the smaller ones maybe. We'll see how things go over the next year.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

It's not a whole lot. But here is the start of my stash for this.

https://m.imgur.com/DcNVi7v

https://m.imgur.com/PigtaiE

https://m.imgur.com/jxZ2gUx

https://m.imgur.com/WwesHKf

Like I said. Not much. But I've been window shopping while we've been doing all of this house stuff. So after pay day on Fri. it will be a mass influx of parts.

Wasn't this supposed to be added to the challenge section of the forum after we added 1-0 to the list? What gives?
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I've been looking through different serving plates. I've already identified several interesting ones to use for what I have in mind. :) I just wish I could move faster on this commission so I could get to this fun build! :D
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

I simply went out - dollar stores, I-Party, Michael's - and bought whatever looked likely.

I have plates of differing sizes and composition; two football-shaped finger bowls; 4 scoops; two oval platters;plastic champagne 'glasses'; party favours; one package of small plates;and, my piece-de-resistance, from Michael's - two sets of the 'mystery part' as used in the very first Iron Modeler. :)

I'm not done acquiring parts/greeblies, but Life has intervened, for now. :)

I also acquired a package of black jelly beans ... :D :D I is very happy!
Dimitry
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Looks like we have our forum section everyone. LETS BUILD!

I already started a thread for mine.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I'm gonna have to withdraw. I'm up to my eyeballs in alligators, getting the probate estate set up to handle my parents' passing in October and November. The paperwork was filed last week and I'm waiting on the appointment approval from the Court.

I've been spending each Saturday driving two hours round-trip to work at the house for a few hours to get closets/dressers/chests of drawers cleaned out and clothes donated. Their house is a 4 bed/2.5 bath that's 2,900 square feet and it's crammed full of stuff from 51+ years of marriage. I haven't even really made a dent in it yet.

At this point, I'm going to be lucky to even get a couple of projects done for WonderFest.

I'd love to be able to participate, but I'm scrambling to find time to even get stuff done around my own house (just moved in last August), much less my parents' house. Plus I have their cottage up north to deal with (homeowner's insurance claim for water damage) and the cottage is 4 hours' drive, one-way.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Lonewolf wrote:I'm gonna have to withdraw. I'm up to my eyeballs in alligators, getting the probate estate set up to handle my parents' passing in October and November. The paperwork was filed last week and I'm waiting on the appointment approval from the Court.

I've been spending each Saturday driving two hours round-trip to work at the house for a few hours to get closets/dressers/chests of drawers cleaned out and clothes donated. Their house is a 4 bed/2.5 bath that's 2,900 square feet and it's crammed full of stuff from 51+ years of marriage. I haven't even really made a dent in it yet.

At this point, I'm going to be lucky to even get a couple of projects done for WonderFest.

I'd love to be able to participate, but I'm scrambling to find time to even get stuff done around my own house (just moved in last August), much less my parents' house. Plus I have their cottage up north to deal with (homeowner's insurance claim for water damage) and the cottage is 4 hours' drive, one-way.
Well ... dang. :( Sorry, my friend. That's a list of some big & fierce alligators, all right.

I mostly insisted on a hard end-date, because folks seem to need dead-lines - I know I do. I wanted some actual results (models) to come from this, because I do love seeing how creative we (the 'collective-we') are and can be.

Best of luck with it all - and if I have to say, please shout if there's anything you need me to do. (I know, that's a pretty safe thing to say from this distance - but the sentiment and the offer are real. :) )
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Re: Who's ready for a new Challenge Build?

Post by Scotaidh »

Father's Day - the middle of June ... which means, there's only three & a half months left to the end of September.

This is the published record of the state of progress for the 16 registered entrants plus one late entrant, Kerick.

0. John Lester - no word
1. Blappy - work in progress
2. John O - no word
3. Robiwon - no word
4. Joseph C. Brown - no word
5. Kylwell - no word
6. Dr. Yo - no word
7. Thom - no word
8. Raser13 - completed :)
9. Lonewolf - had to withdraw because of extraordinary Life issues :shock: :( - Speaking of which, how's things, Lonewolf? Can we help?
10. Andy_USA - no word
11. Stargazer - no word
12. Johnnycrash - no word
13. Prince of Styrene - no word
14. MillenniumFalsehood - no word
15. Scotaidh - work in progress
16. Kerick - completed :)

I really hope the rest of y'all are keeping things close to your collective chests, and that September will bring forth a profusion of diverse builds, each a gem of ingenuity and imagination.
If you can't manage an actual model, then please show a sketch or drawing of what you'd intended. I know we'd all like to see them. :)
Dimitry
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

I've gotten started, but only just. In any case, it'll look something like this:

Bigger image than I thought it was... :-k
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
artic316

Post by artic316 »

:) I will do my best to complete this task. I have not touched any building materials in years , because something horrible happened. That damn life thing got in the way and threw a monkey wrench, a thingamajig and a whole lot of spindle benders into my plans to dominate the (modelling) world. I have been collecting some bits and pieces in the last few months to try and bash something together with some patience(yeah right) a whole lot of superglue and some of that color stuff too. Wish me luck . :shock: :-k
improvise adapt and overcome.We are the fellowship of modelers.
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

You got a whole month, Denis - good luck, and welcome back.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I guess I better start mine! :oops:
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
artic316

Post by artic316 »

:shock: Well I managed to slap something together although it is not my best work. I will be painting it better in a few weeks when I get back from work. I need to add a few more greebles to make it more scifi-ish. I am limited to my resources right now. This is the first scratch in years be gentle.
I created a science / deep space research vessel aka "dinner is served" :oops: Tell me what you think.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/artic31 ... sort=3&o=1
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/artic31 ... sort=3&o=2
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/artic31 ... sort=3&o=3
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/artic31 ... sort=3&o=6
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/artic31 ... sort=3&o=8
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/artic31 ... ort=3&o=16
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/artic31 ... ort=3&o=15
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/artic31 ... ort=3&o=12
improvise adapt and overcome.We are the fellowship of modelers.
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Looks pretty good, man - I like the use of the lego heads for the small tower
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Scotaidh wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:18 am Father's Day - the middle of June ... which means, there's only three & a half months left to the end of September.

This is the published record of the state of progress for the 16 registered entrants plus one late entrant, Kerick.

4. Joseph C. Brown - no word

I really hope the rest of y'all are keeping things close to your collective chests, and that September will bring forth a profusion of diverse builds, each a gem of ingenuity and imagination.
If you can't manage an actual model, then please show a sketch or drawing of what you'd intended. I know we'd all like to see them. :)
To paraphrase Blappy: "fail!"

Not strictly true - I've scrounged parts, gathered components, found the paint I wanted, have two vintage Serve-Rite party plates. And located the transparent green and blue toothbrushes whose handles are amongst the detailing. So...

Completed in time? Fail.

Done by Wonderfest 2018? Stay tuned...
________
Joe Brown
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Well, I'm on the same shore, if not quite the same boat, as a lot of folks - progress has been made, but I'm balked at what to do with the underside. Didn't finish by the deadline, but I should have it painted in another couple of weeks.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Well, I feel dumb. For some reason I had it in my mind that 30 Sept was the deadline, not 1 Sept. :oops: :oops:

So, in common with a lot of folks in this challenge, I'm not done. Painting to do, and all that. You know what happens when you rush a paint job? Fingers become salamis; "dexterity" and "accuracy", along with "straight lines" and "even pigment application" are distant dreams ... :( So, I'm not done. Poop. :P :P

However. :) I will continue my efforts and will (eventually) finish this plate-thingie. It's too much fun to not complete, you see. I would very much like to see everyone elses' plate ships, when they are complete. After all, that's what this Challenge was all about, right? To see what we could dream up and execute?

I don't know how many of you are into poetry - me, not a lot, just enough to cause trouble. I think of our challenges as a sort of sonnet in plastic. Sonnets, as I understand it, are a rather rigid format - but completing one whilst keeping the rules just shows off the poet's skill.

Well, as with sonnets, there are limitations set by our challenges - things we can do, things we aspire to do, and things we cannot do. So, by keeping within the challenge strictures, we, as the sonnet poets, demonstrate our skills and talents. Noe of this is easy.

I therefore applaud our Challenge Complete-ists. Bravo! Kudos to you, Kerick and Raser13! :) If I missed someone, abject apologies.
Dimitry