First time attendee suggestions?

Everyone's favorite modeling geekfest, 2017 edition. June 3-4, 2017 in Louisville, KY. http://www.wonderfest.com/

Moderator: Moderators

slookabill

First time attendee suggestions?

Post by slookabill » Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 pm

This is my first year going to Wonderfest. As I moved to Louisville last year, and got back into model making right around this time last year, I'm really excited for this show. Any suggestions for a first time attendee of what to see or experience?

Arronax
Location: Orlando FL (originally from England but I expect my accent gave me away, didn't it)

Re: First time attendee suggestions?

Post by Arronax » Tue May 23, 2017 7:24 am

When you get there, grab a program and decide which events/demos you plan to attend. Leave time for the dealers room but don't spend all day there.

Bring money. Something will grab your attention and whisper "buy me."

Stay or return in the evenings. There are many gatherings after hours. Inquire as to where they are during the day from the people you meet.

Write you name and board name CLEARLY on your WF badge so we know who you are. If you see a familiar name on a badge, introduce yourself and tell them it's your first WF.
Jim

---------------------
Something, something, something, donkey balls

zysurge

Post by zysurge » Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 am

Agree with the above. Wonderfest is just as much about the people as the models. Make time to talk to people - you'll get a lot more out of the experience.

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 am

I went through the events schedules posted on the Wonderfest website and made a little one-page matrix/schedule of what and where. If you'd like a copy (it's a pdf), send me a private message with your email address.

veedubb67

Post by veedubb67 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:50 am

Take a deep breath before you walk into the Dealers Rooms. You will be overwhelmed. I normally walk around the rooms at least once before deciding on what to buy.

Don't be disheartened when you look at the quality of models in the Contest Room. This show is the cream of the crop when it comes to Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror models. If you get a chance, talk to the builder and pick their brain on tips and techniques. I always learn something at this show.

Most of all, have a good time!

Rob
Iwata Padawan

WedgeCharlotte

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Wed May 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Welcome to the show!

check out the Friday night meet and greet and Iwata party room. Meet up with some Starship Modeler people, see some new products, also the WF merchandise table is up and running, and the shirts this year are exceptionally cool, so you if you like them you can get some in your size before they sell out.

During the day there are guest presentations and demos going on so some planning ahead of time is really helpful. Since it's your first visit you may want to tackle the dealers room a section at a time. And yeah I'd make a round before getting into buying mode, you never know what is going to hit you as a must have.

Seriously, this is a show where introverts get to be extroverts for a weekend. Don't be afraid of talking and meeting people in real life; so many lifelong friendships are started here once people get to talking.

There are a few suite parties going on at night that will welcome you, and usually have cool modeling stuff going on. And beer if you are into that. Additionally we have movies and live programming Saturday night.

I hope you have a great time -
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
http://www.wonderfest.com
Go Panthers!
http://pantherfanz.smugmug.com

rlobinske

Post by rlobinske » Wed May 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Comfortable shoes.
Long sleeve shirt or light jacket. With the large crowds, the AC is cranked and can get chilly.
A couple reusable grocery bags to carry your purchases.
Make sure you know how to use the zoom on your camera to get good shots of models without having to leave over the edge of the table.
Relax.

onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Post by onezero » Mon May 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Make sure to stop by the Starship Modeler tables (main room, back left - there's a big sign). Introduce yourself so I can shake your hand and say "welcome aboard!".

It can be overwhelming - especially these days. Take a break when you need to. If you're local, get a two day pass. There's just as much going on on Sunday as there is on Saturday!
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

Pizza alone will not fill the emptiness in your soul.

You'll also need beer.

slookabill

Post by slookabill » Mon May 29, 2017 10:58 pm

Anyone know if there's a map of the rooms that things are happening in? Or the Dealers rooms of who's where? I plan to try and make it to the Friday Night Welcome Party, and then be there both days around 10a.

Also, if any one with Wonderfest or dealers needs someone to assist on Friday(or the other days on the weekend), I should be up and awake by 1pm on Friday to be able to come and help out.

Arronax
Location: Orlando FL (originally from England but I expect my accent gave me away, didn't it)

Post by Arronax » Tue May 30, 2017 6:50 am

Flyers with maps are available where you get your ticket. The Crowne Plaza is not a huge hotel and all the rooms (model contest, dealers, make'n'take, etc.) are along the only same (and only) passage with presentation rooms upstairs. Easy to get around.

Check the WF website. They usually post the flyer before the show but it's not there yet.
Jim

---------------------

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell » Tue May 30, 2017 10:15 am

And don't forget to hydrate and eat. Even if it's the mystery meat from the caterers it's better than tanking your blood sugar.
Abolish Alliteration

Arronax

Post by Arronax » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:55 am

slookabill wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:58 pm
Anyone know if there's a map of the rooms that things are happening in? Or the Dealers rooms of who's where?
Printable flyer on line now. https://wonderfest.com/upcoming-show/weekend-schedule/
Jim

---------------------