WF Fliers for Area Hobby Shops and Contests?

Everyone's favorite modeling geekfest, 2017 edition. June 3-4, 2017 in Louisville, KY. http://www.wonderfest.com/

Moderator: Moderators

Wug

WF Fliers for Area Hobby Shops and Contests?

Post by Wug » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:14 am

Does anyone send Wonderfest fliers to hobby shops and model contests in the area?

A bunch of model clubs promoted their events with fliers at the recent IPMS contest in Indianapolis. I didn't see anything for Wonderfest.

Here in Lexington KY we have a Hobby Town and a couple of good gaming shops and nobody's heard of Wondefest.

Ask and I'll send you their addresses. Other people on the list will probably do the same to help spread the word.

The IPMS regionals in Dayton are coming up. You could send fliers there. Louisville IPMS has a show before Wonderfest too.

To attract a broader audience it might be worth mentioning that tanks, planes cars and gaming minis have all won gold at Wondefest.

Mike

Lt. Z0mBe

Re: WF Fliers for Area Hobby Shops and Contests?

Post by Lt. Z0mBe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:42 am

Wug wrote:Does anyone send Wonderfest fliers to hobby shops and model contests in the area?

A bunch of model clubs promoted their events with fliers at the recent IPMS contest in Indianapolis. I didn't see anything for Wonderfest.

Here in Lexington KY we have a Hobby Town and a couple of good gaming shops and nobody's heard of Wondefest.

Ask and I'll send you their addresses. Other people on the list will probably do the same to help spread the word.

The IPMS regionals in Dayton are coming up. You could send fliers there. Louisville IPMS has a show before Wonderfest too.

To attract a broader audience it might be worth mentioning that tanks, planes cars and gaming minis have all won gold at Wondefest.

Mike
Waaaay back in the 20th century, that's how I first heard of Wonderfest - at the old Hobby House on Preston Highway.

I would recommend sending flyers to two of them in Elizabethtown:

Hard Knox Gaming (has not heard of WF last time I was in there in February)
1704 N Dixie Hwy
Elizabethtown, KY 4270

Hobby Station (has not heard of WF last time I was in there in February)
200 Sycamore St, Ste 111 (not sure if this is the new address or not)
Elizabethtown, KY 42701-2419

Some Louisville area ones:

HobbyTown USA
12615 Shelbyville Rd
Louisville, KY 40243-1532

Scale Reproductions
3073 Breckenridge Ln
Louisville, KY 40220
http://www.srihobbies.com/

HobbyWorld USA
104 Vieux Carre Dr
Louisville, KY 40223-3202

I hope this helps a bit Mike. Maybe this will get some new, local blood out there.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.

travisc

Post by travisc » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:35 am

I have tried to get the really good armor guys from my club to enter Wonderfest, but they don't like to have to pay 30 dollars to go to a show that has no aftermarket resin armor stuff for them to buy.

I won a Silver at Wonderfest with my Panzer 2 German WW2 Tank 2 years ago. I had hoped that would get them to enter.

A lot of people think Wonderfest is only for Sci-fi, and I have seen comments on this forum that a few people want them to keep thinking that.

veedubb67

Post by veedubb67 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:59 am

Well - considering the website says "Now in its 28th year, WonderFest features movie special effects guests, the largest model contest in the U.S. for sci-fi, horror & comics-related subjects, model and toy dealers galore, and seminars to entertain and improve hobbyists of all ages!" I can understand why people would think it's a Sci-Fi show...

Rob
Iwata Padawan

sci-fi-bldr

Post by sci-fi-bldr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:25 pm

I LOVED THE OLD HOBBY HOUSE!!!!......... :D :D :D

WedgeCharlotte

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:33 am

We found that print flyers were costing more for us to make and distribute to our mailing list than the people they were bringing in, so we stopped making them a number of years ago. Although primarily for our returning guests, I'm sure this was how we would have mailed off information to any hobby shops.

I certainly appreciate your ideas though - word of mouth is actually our best way to "sell" the show to modelers; for our guests to enjoy a show enough to want it promoted and to keep growing is a great compliment so THANK YOU.

From a contest perspective, there is no doubt that we are a sci fi/fantasy show, and we want to keep it that way - we do get a few great non speculative models in the show from our entrants here and there but it's not our focus, and we are certainly not going to require our judges to understand WWII armor color schemes and the like. We just like to see great models on the tables!
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
http://www.wonderfest.com
Go Panthers!
http://pantherfanz.smugmug.com

WedgeCharlotte

Flyers for local hobbyshops etc

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Tue May 02, 2017 8:36 pm

We do have some nice flyers made up now - Dave Hodge, our friend Mike, and I put some up at a local scifi con in VA last weekend. Lee Staton did another great job with them.

If you would be willing to put some up in your local hobbyshop, PM me here with your address and I will see if Dave is willing to part with some.

PS You are going to want to bring lots of money for WF show shirts this year, and you'll want to get them ASAP Friday night.
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
Go Panthers!

WedgeCharlotte

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 pm

I should add that these are card mailers - NOT the mailers we used to send out every year to prior attendees. They are full color though.
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
Go Panthers!

Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso » Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 pm

travisc wrote:I have tried to get the really good armor guys from my club to enter Wonderfest, but they don't like to have to pay 30 dollars to go to a show that has no aftermarket resin armor stuff for them to buy.

I won a Silver at Wonderfest with my Panzer 2 German WW2 Tank 2 years ago. I had hoped that would get them to enter.

A lot of people think Wonderfest is only for Sci-fi, and I have seen comments on this forum that a few people want them to keep thinking that.
Well, seeing as though there are roughly 6-8 model shows in my area a year, and roughly six to eight total Sci-fi kits on the tables, I am perfectly happy WonderFest is the way it is. Tell your IPMS friends to go, and see how it feels when the shoe is on the other foot. :twisted:
I got a sweater for Christmas last year. hope I get a screamer this year...

sci-fi-bldr

Post by sci-fi-bldr » Wed May 03, 2017 10:49 am

^^^ what he said ^^^.... :D

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf » Wed May 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Gotta agree. WonderFest is the premiere show for genres that are pretty much ignored by IMPS. There are tons of shows for armor builders to enter their models in contests. There is only one WonderFest. There's a reason that this is the 25th year!
Surrounded by unbuilt models. What the heck do I work on next??

WedgeCharlotte

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Thu May 04, 2017 2:32 pm

28th year even!
June 4-5, 2016 – Crowne Plaza
Gigi Edgley, Kirk Thatcher, William Malone, Nick Tate, Robert Welch, Mark Schultz, Michael J. Ryan, Rick Catizone, Adam Johnson, Wm. Stout, Mark Maddox, New Voyages cast

May 30-31, 2015 – Crowne Plaza
Greg Nicotero, Victoria Price, Sara Karloff, Marta Kristen, Jamie Anderson, Eric Chu, Ken Palkow, Mark Cantrell, Frank Dietz, Wm. Stout, Mark Maddox, New Voyages cast, Andy Pearson

May 31-June 1, 2014 – Crowne Plaza
Joe Alves, Phil Tippett, Carol Bauman, Rick Sternbach, John Goodwin, Andy Yanchus, Dennis Prince, Eric Chu, John Eaves, Ken Palkow, Larry Underwood, Belle Dee, Wm. Stout

May 18-19, 2013 – Crowne Plaza
Lee Meriwether, Brinke Stevens, Sara Karloff, Lee Stringer, John Tyler Christopher, John Goodwin, Mark Maddox, Ken Palkow

May 26-27, 2012 – Crowne Plaza
Joanna Cassidy, Bill Moseley, Julie Adams, Eric Chu, Giorgio Tsoukalos, John Eaves, Belle Dee, Bob & Kathy Burns

May 14-15, 2011 – Crowne Plaza
Lorne Peterson, Pat McClung, Martine Beswick, Caroline Munro, Belle Dee & Jay Leisten

May 15-16, 2010 – Crowne Plaza
Harry Knowles, Claudia Christian, Linnea Quigley, James Karen, Lou Ferrigno, Ray Meyers & Staffan Linder

May 16-17, 2009 – Crowne Plaza
Veronica & Angela Cartwright, Tom Woodruff Jr, Steve Wang, Pat McClung, Ken Kelly & Steve Johnson

July 19-20, 2008 – South Wing, Ky Fair & Expo Center
Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, Linda Harrison, Dirk Benedict, Bob & Kathy Burns

May 26-27, 2007 – Executive West
Denise Crosby, Robert Picardo, Lori Nelson, Gary Gianni, David Schow & John Zacherle

May 27-28, 2006 – Executive West
Yvonne Craig, Donnie Dunagan, Kerry Gamill, Robin Curtis, Chris Walas, John Eaves, Bob Burns

May 28-29, 2005 – Executive West
Erin Gray, David Hedison, Mark Goddard, Andrew Probert, Frank Cho, Joe DeVito & John Goodwin

May 15-16, 2004 – Executive West
Ben Chapman, Julie Adams, Ricou Browning, Marta Kristen, Bob May, David Fisher & Roy P. Webber

June 7-8, 2003 – Executive West
Ray Harryhausen, Caroline Munro, Greg Nicotero, John Eaves, Wm. Stout, Mark Schultz, Frank Dietz & Mark Berry

May 25-26, 2002 – Executive West
Joe Dante, Kevin McCarthy, Ann Robinson, Rick Sternbach, Vincent Di Fate, Carol Bauman, Tom Weaver & Frank Dietz

June 2-3, 2001 – Executive West
George Romero, Anne Francis, John Eaves, Tom Savini, Sara Karloff, Bernie Wrightson, Greg Nicotero, Carol Bauman & Frank Dietz

June 10-11, 2000 – Executive West
Greg Nicotero, Dave Krentz, Michael Kaluta, Randy Bowen, Joe Jusko, Carol Bauman, Frank Dietz, Mark Schultz & Wm. Stout

June 5-6, 1999 – Executive West
Dennis Skotak, D. C. Fontana, Bernie Wrightson, Joe Viskocil, Chris Walas, Bob Burns, Carol Bauman & Randy Bowen

May 8-10, 1998 – Executive West
Joe Viskocil, Steve Wang, Mark Schultz, Wm. Stout & Bob Burns

Apr. 5-6, 1997 – Executive West
William Stout, Chris Walas, Bob Burns & Tom Wibben

Apr. 13-14, 1996 – Executive West
Ray Harryhausen, Chris Walas & Bob Burns

Apr. 8-9, 1995 – Holiday Inn
Ed “Big Daddyâ€￾ Roth, Dave Cockrum, Bob Burns & Tom Wibben

Mar. 5-6, 1994 – Holiday Inn
Jim Danforth, Chris Walas & Bob Burns

Apr. 24-25, 1993 – Holiday Inn
Chris Walas & Bob Burns

May 9, 1992 – Holiday Inn
Tom Wibben

Mar. 16, 1991 – Ramada Inn
First Guest: Tom Wibben

Aug. 4, 1990 – Ramada Inn
No guests
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
Go Panthers!

veedubb67

Post by veedubb67 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Stu Pidasso wrote: Well, seeing as though there are roughly 6-8 model shows in my area a year, and roughly six to eight total Sci-fi kits on the tables, I am perfectly happy WonderFest is the way it is. Tell your IPMS friends to go, and see how it feels when the shoe is on the other foot. :twisted:
A few years back I took a hardcore IPMS armor guy to WonderFest and he said 'I've seen more talent at this show than all the IPMS shows I've been to'. The next year he entered one of FichtenFoo's Fish Subs and won 'Best Sci-Fi Model'!!!

Now Matt Q is one of us!

Rob
Iwata Padawan

Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso » Thu May 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Woohoo! Another convert! And I cast that fishing sub as well, so double bonus :D
I got a sweater for Christmas last year. hope I get a screamer this year...

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf » Thu May 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Ah . . . . I guess I misunderstood. I read on the WonderFest website that a gathering sponsored by the Scale Figure Modelers Society that began in 1990 morphed into the Louisville Plastic Kit & Toy Show and then became WonderFest in 1992.
WonderFest.com wrote:The first two shows were put on at a tiny Ramada Inn. Our second show was much larger than the first—very crowded—and we realized this could be a growing thing. While planning show number three we decided to move to a larger convention facility across town at a Holiday Inn. We were inspired by the Japanese Wonder Festivals and wanted to do an Americanized “takeâ€￾ on it. So for our third show we moved to the Holiday Inn, became WonderFest, and even had our first t-shirt.

In 1996, we moved hotels again. We’d outgrown the Holiday Inn and moved to the Executive West (now renamed Crowne Plaza), which was much, much larger. We were afraid we couldn’t fill it the first year, so we tried booking a guest who could be a major attractor: Ray Harryhausen. It worked! We were packed from the get-go, the facilities were great, and Ray was a wonderful guest. But the size of the show was starting to strain the club, so there was a downside to this growth.
So, based on that, this is WonderFest's 25th year.

WedgeCharlotte

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Thu May 04, 2017 8:14 pm

I think that the guys who have been there from the start feel that that little model show put on by the club was the first WF. Also, the 2014 show was marketed as the 25th anniversary show. But you have just as valid a point.
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
Go Panthers!

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf » Thu May 04, 2017 9:31 pm

Hey, it's all good! I've enjoyed every year I've attended (except 2007, when my wife ended up in the hospital with gall stones, but that's another story) and I'm looking forward to attending for many more years to come! :8)