Team Nor'Easter

The Travelling Model Project is back! Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Prince of Styrene II

Post by Prince of Styrene II »

Okay, so here's the pics I have of the Bacqatcha as of packing it up. Scotaidh started out with, IMO, such a great shape, it was hard for me to figure out how to add onto it without totally changing it. To me, when holding it, it still has that heavy underwater attack sub kind of feel. I added a few greeblies plus some "articulated canons". I also replaced the ping pong ball "reactor" with a more solid sphere that was a yo-yo. A couple TIE fighter pieces as well as a few other things were added along the join. The fun part I added is the little vehicle to the underside for kind of a mini-sub.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... image3.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... image5.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... image4.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... image7.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... image6.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... image1.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... image2.jpg
"Hold the weapons Daddy, I'm going to go get my monkeys." My daughter, The Duchess of Styrene
==========================
"No, you're not eating cereal for supper!"
"But, Mommy, it's Star Trek & it's only for a limited time!"
"I like what you did with your A-hull."
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Great job, Andy! I especially like the wee "go-sub" you put in that bay ... :-)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I'll keep an eye out for it. Should I work on it, and then send it to Gundamhead? Or should I fire it back out the door to Gundamhead and then be the final hands-on before it heads to the CoMMiES for display at WonderFest?

I've got a decent airbrush station set up, with a Paasche H for base coating and an Iwata Revolution for detail painting, connected to a SmartJet compressor. If y'all want me to finish her off, I'm more than willing to do that.

Let me know! The box should be here tomorrow when I get home from work.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Lonewolf wrote:I'll keep an eye out for it. Should I work on it, and then send it to Gundamhead? Or should I fire it back out the door to Gundamhead and then be the final hands-on before it heads to the CoMMiES for display at WonderFest?

I've got a decent airbrush station set up, with a Paasche H for base coating and an Iwata Revolution for detail painting, connected to a SmartJet compressor. If y'all want me to finish her off, I'm more than willing to do that.

Let me know! The box should be here tomorrow when I get home from work.
I'd say that's between you and Gundamhead ... he should have the Lake Effect any day now, providing he sent his address to Ignatz. I don't know how he'll feel about working on two at once; maybe he could combine them somehow? :-)
Dimitry
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

Ignatz, check your PM box.
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." -Jayne Cobb
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

For the record, I sent my address to Ignatz via PM.

I do not mind having it after Lonewolf works on it.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

A box has arrived from MA, and it looks like the Bacqatcha is here!

I'll get the box opened tomorrow night. Lots going on tonight.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Gundamhead wrote:Ignatz, check your PM box.
He can't - he told me (on the phone) that he was unable to use the pm system - it wouldn't select for him, or something. You need to call him. Leave a message and your phone number - when he calls me it's been about 8pm or so.

PM me for his number if you need it.
Dimitry
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Model is here, safe and sound. I'll get some work done on it this weekend.

How long do I get to have it before I ship it off to Gundamhead for the "final"?

Also, will it be coming back here for shipping to Colorado, or should I make arrangements for Gundamhead to ship it to the CoMMiES (ie: act as the go-between for shipping and delivery points)?

Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

Lonewolf wrote:Model is here, safe and sound. I'll get some work done on it this weekend.

How long do I get to have it before I ship it off to Gundamhead for the "final"?

Also, will it be coming back here for shipping to Colorado, or should I make arrangements for Gundamhead to ship it to the CoMMiES (ie: act as the go-between for shipping and delivery points)?
I'd say take a week at least. I won't need long. After I have my nefarious ways with it, depending on time we'll see where it needs to go. For now though, just have a blast! :8)
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

Some pics before and after would be nice though...
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Will do. I haven't had time to do anything with it yet, other than to look and see that a couple small bits had come off of the top.

I spent Saturday out-of-town at the in-laws' with visiting family (my wife's uncle is here from Ireland for a week, and it was the only time we could see him). I was gone most of Sunday afternoon seeing "The Phantom of the Opera" with my wife and eldest daughter. Then I spent last night getting our living room & hobby rooms put back together after having Comcast TV and Internet service installed on Sunday morning.

I might get some time to pull it out and start figuring things out tonight. I still have to put some kits away so I can get to my workbench.

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Pulled the kit out, made a couple of repairs to parts that had fallen off (one very noticeable on the top), and started going through my parts to figure out what to add. I'm planning on going through the box contents this afternoon to see what else I might want to add.

Gundamhead, are you gonna be the "final" on this one, or did we agree to ship it Round Robin again to everyone for a final week each before it heads out the door? I can't remember, so I guess I'm having a "Bald Moment" (can't have Blonde Moments - my youngest daughter is blonde!).

Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

I just received the kit from Ignatz this past weekend. Very cool and thanks Ignatz. I have been busy the past couple days though, sorry guys. I'll have a few pics up as it looked as it showed up here. I got a day to work on it, and I will have a few hours to fart around with it tomorrow. Who needs a crack at this beast next? Please PM me your address and I will get it out to you.

As for model number 2, Lonewolf, I'll be fast and send it off again if everybody is up for it again. Or I can I spend a little time and give it some paint and detail. Team decision. I'd just like a crack one way or the other. :D :8) I PM'ed you my address.
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

Pictures as the model arrived to me from Ignatz.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19951055@ ... 697140188/

Pics to be taken in a day or two before I send it off to the next guy.
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

is that a mr. fusion part of the delorian time machine in that cut out just to the side of the cockpit? if so you aught a small flux capacitor in it just as an easter egg.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

We had started off planning to go around twice, but it was pointed out that we would not have time for that, so we changed it to
Once and Done.

However! ;)

If someone decides that they have the perfect thing to do with either of the models and really want second go, I say fine, so long as the model makes it to Wonderfest.

I mean, if we miss out on having our collective efforts judged by our peers, then what's the point?

I must say this: Ignatz, I really like what you did with the Lake Effect. :)
Dimitry
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

I've got my CT scan for kidney stones tomorrow afternoon, so I'm planning on having some "decompression time" tomorrow night. I've got some parts already pulled out and sitting on the workbench.

Gotta go through what's in the box and see what else I want to add. The overall design is very streamlined, and I don't want to add too much that's gonna mess that up. I'm keeping "hydrodynamically sleek" in mind as I select parts to use.

Prince of Styrene II

Post by Prince of Styrene II »

I'm loving it so far!!!
"Hold the weapons Daddy, I'm going to go get my monkeys." My daughter, The Duchess of Styrene
"No, you're not eating cereal for supper!"
"But, Mommy, it's Star Trek & it's only for a limited time!"
"I like what you did with your A-hull."
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

anything new?
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Parts selected, placement locations determined, might get some construction done tonight. Lithotripsy tomorrow afternoon, so I won't be at the workbench again until Thursday night or sometime Friday.

Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

As an update for the Lake Effect, it's had some structural additions. We have been showing the house, so the bench time was beaten back. I hope to have it the mail in a day or two to the next willing *sucker. I figured to Lonewolf, but if he's still gonna be busy still anybody else want a shot first?

*I mean participant. :P
JAYCOCK ALFRED

Post by JAYCOCK ALFRED »

I notice you folks are using an antique CRT monitor part as a dome like structure on your build. Do you know what kind of plastic it is? or the recycling number? How is it reacting to adhesives, putty and or paints?

(I have hoarded a number of items from computers to use on ships and right now I'm wondering how much of it is really going to be usable.)
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

JAYCOCK ALFRED wrote:I notice you folks are using an antique CRT monitor part as a dome like structure on your build. Do you know what kind of plastic it is? or the recycling number? How is it reacting to adhesives, putty and or paints?

(I have hoarded a number of items from computers to use on ships and right now I'm wondering how much of it is really going to be usable.)
Easy with that word ''antique'',young-feller-me-lad ... I watched those come into being and then fade away, their brief day done and gone ... ;)

To answer your question, I have used Testors Model Glue, Zap-a-gap, Goop, and other glues on this type of plastic, and it takes to it as if to the manor born ... so to speak. Tilt-swivels, and even bits from the monitor casing are all very model-glue & -paint friendly.
Dimitry
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

I'm working on the Bacqatcha and got some stuff attached last night. Revised wing engine nozzles, some aft pods on the rear spine, and some detail bits.

I'm staying home from work tomorrow (post-op) so I'll have time to get more done. I'm not supposed to drive for 24 hours, and I just took two Norco 10-325 mg pain killers to help me get to sleep tonight.

JAYCOCK ALFRED

Post by JAYCOCK ALFRED »

Scotaidh wrote:
JAYCOCK ALFRED wrote:I notice you folks are using an antique CRT monitor part as a dome like structure on your build. Do you know what kind of plastic it is? or the recycling number? How is it reacting to adhesives, putty and or paints?

Easy with that word ''antique'',young-feller-me-lad ... I watched those come into being and then fade away, their brief day done and gone ... ;)

To answer your question, I have used Testors Model Glue, Zap-a-gap, Goop, and other glues on this type of plastic, and it takes to it as if to the manor born ... so to speak. Tilt-swivels, and even bits from the monitor casing are all very model-glue & -paint friendly.
Thanks for the good news!
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Work is continuing. I had planned a build session yesterday, but I ended up in the ER in the afternoon and the OR late last night due to complications with my kidney stones. After an overnight stay in the hospital after surgery to put in a stent, I'm home.

I'd picked out more pieces-parts to use, and then the ungodly pain hit, ruining all my plans for yesterday. I'm shooting for tomorrow to get the work done. I've got some photos taken, but I'll take more tomorrow or Sunday after I finish up. I hope to have the model on the way to Gundamhead by Wednesday. My wife' grandmother (age 96) died today, and the funeral is on Tuesday.

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

I've finished up my part of the work on the Bacqatcha and I'm going to get her boxed and ready to ship to Gundamhead tomorrow night.

With other teams discussing not sending their entries to WonderFest this year, what do we want to do? I'm gonna ship this on Thursday morning via Priority Mail, so Gundamhead should have it by the first part of next week. Week and a half in his hands, then it'll have to be out the door to Colorado for transport to WonderFest.

Or, in the alternative, if Gundamhead finishes off the Lake Effect (skipping me working on it) and I finish off the Bacqatcha (skipping him), we can get both done and shipped out for display within the next week or so.

What do y'all think?

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Lonewolf wrote:I've finished up my part of the work on the Bacqatcha and I'm going to get her boxed and ready to ship to Gundamhead tomorrow night.

With other teams discussing not sending their entries to WonderFest this year, what do we want to do? I'm gonna ship this on Thursday morning via Priority Mail, so Gundamhead should have it by the first part of next week. Week and a half in his hands, then it'll have to be out the door to Colorado for transport to WonderFest.

Or, in the alternative, if Gundamhead finishes off the Lake Effect (skipping me working on it) and I finish off the Bacqatcha (skipping him), we can get both done and shipped out for display within the next week or so.

What do y'all think?
I think Gundamhead already sent the Lake Effect to you ...

I think we should go with majority ... if they want to delay for another whole year, then why not? We could all get a real crack at each model, then. :)
Dimitry