Team Hosers! (or whatever...)

The Travelling Model Project is back! Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Blappy

Team Hosers! (or whatever...)

Post by Blappy »

OK fellow Canadians... This one's for us! :beer:
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

We need someone to take the lead on this boys. I do not have the time to.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

1. Timescape in Ottawa sends it to Johnnycrash in Ontario
2. Johnnycrash in Ontario sends it to Mottom
3. Mottom sends it to NX-17000
4. NX-17000 sends it to Blap
5. Blap finishes the model and arranges for the model to show up at WF.

This is the list that was proposed. Works for me.

So Bill, what kit will we start with?? :D
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

Sounds good.

I can't wait to get started.

Once we decide on what the starter kit is I will start going thru the parts box for ideas.
Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Or, re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere and die in a fiery crash.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

I have a couple of weeks off starting this weekend. I'll take stock and make a proposal (or maybe just an executive decision :D ) and get back to you guys.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

I have couple weeks off as well and can't wait to get started.

I'm going to start going thru my parts box soon.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

OK, here's what I have (please note that I am not posting pictures with a news paper as I do not get one delivered and I do not want to drive a half hour into town and then back to get one...you will just have to take my word for it...:) )

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been pawing through my parts boxes trying to find an idea on which to start the Travelling Model 2015. I came across the bulk of an old Monogram P-38 Lightning I'd thrown in the box years ago when I got a Hasegawa kit. I had always wanted to take this and modify it into a space fighter or something. Unfortunately, I could not find enough of the parts in which to make a useful conversion.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae15 ... CN1915.jpg

Luckily one of the LHS's had one...

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae15 ... CN1917.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae15 ... CN1918.jpg

...although I will probably use the already started kit :)

I had John (MMI) cast a bunch of bits and bobs that I had found to be used for greeblies...not all of these will go with the model, but some will :) :

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae15 ... CN1919.jpg

...and maybe some parts off this old X-Wing:

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae15 ... CN1920.jpg

...and of course other bits from the parts bins:

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae15 ... CN1921.jpg

So Team Hosers, any objections or suggestions? If not I will proceed to start later today, nlt tomorrow.

With regards to schedule, I will be headed out of town on business 25 Jan; thus, my intention is to send it off to John by 23 Jan.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I'm not too comfortable with the X-Wing in the mix but the rest looks great.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

And another comment...

DO NO PRIME ANYTHING! It will just need to be scraped off to make parts stick. I'll deal with final clean up and finishing when it gets to me. :D
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

Space Fighter, I likes.

I just started a Ma.k phase so I will have to fight the Falke urges.
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

I'm already liking the looks of this. Can't wait to see what I'm gonna get to work with when it makes it here.
Ramsayman

Post by Ramsayman »

Cool! Too bad I can't be part of this - I think it would be fun.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Hey guys,

Sorry I have been rather silent since my post on 1 Jan. While I had good intentions of geting going on this last weekend, I forgot I had some year-end model club business to take care of which basically swamped me under. About all I got done was to glue a couple of cockpit pieces together to get a feel of how they will fit, I have not accomplished much. Fortunately I have a dedicated model day on Sat since it is the IPMS monthly Build Day at CASM. I hope to get a good start.

Blap, don't worry about the X-Wing, other than a couple of smaller parts, it was not really fitting into the image I have in my head.
M3

Post by M3 »

Looks like a great start!
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with others when we're not being cool.
- Cameron Crowe, "Almost Famous"
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Blappy

Post by Blappy »

:-k
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

As an enemy spy, I have to say 'Good on ya eh', Have a loonie, and it's all aboot the hockey... Interesting start. As a mechahead though, I need to ask, where did those nozzles come from? They'd make some nice verniers thrusters for customized mobile suits. :8)
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." -Jayne Cobb
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Since I'm the last guy in line it will be interesting to see how this ends up before I get it for finishing.

I do think it needs some seriously vertical element to it though. It's too flat right now.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Gundamhead wrote:As an enemy spy, I have to say 'Good on ya eh', Have a loonie, and it's all aboot the hockey... Interesting start. As a mechahead though, I need to ask, where did those nozzles come from? They'd make some nice verniers thrusters for customized mobile suits. :8)
From time to time, I have John (MMI) cast a bunch of bits and bobs that I have found to be used for greeblies. The nozzles are the back ends of the lancet cartridge I use for checking my blood sugars. I also have a few of the front end pieces as well, these may make some interesting intakes or rocket pod fronts...
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Blappy wrote:Since I'm the last guy in line it will be interesting to see how this ends up before I get it for finishing.

I do think it needs some seriously vertical element to it though. It's too flat right now.
Possible, but I will leave that to the next in line...
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

TimeScape wrote:
Blappy wrote:Since I'm the last guy in line it will be interesting to see how this ends up before I get it for finishing.

No worries. I'm just throwing it out there since I won't get to do too much building.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

Blappy wrote:
TimeScape wrote:

No worries. I'm just throwing it out there since I won't get to do too much building.
You can do what you want when you have it. It's just gotta be done by the timeline, so build away. That's part of the challenge.
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." -Jayne Cobb
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Hey Blappy,

I have been duplicating (ish) in parallel the build with the P-38 I had in my parts bin, although I am missing two critical pieces to complete properly: the port gun bay cover and the stbd nacelle face. I have been using it as a test bed for the other kit. Main difference between the two is that I added the second cockpit. I had planned to include it when I shipped it off to John hoping someone down the line would have the extra bits.

Last night I got to thinking of the vertical and came up with an interesting idea but would require a third P-38. The idea would be to join them to each other by attaching a wing stub of each to a larger weapons pod or engine (although I like the weapons pod idea better). Thus, a "Ring Fighter" :D Just an idea...

Hey John,

Can you PM me (or call tonight) with your address, mainly to confirm I have the correct one. I will be bundling the entire thing up, along with the CA you asked for in the next day or two.

Bill
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I know John has an abundant parts stash... He'll do us proud!
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Blappy wrote:I know John has an abundant parts stash... He'll do us proud!
If by abundant parts stash you mean a large pile of crap?? Yup. Got that covered. :D along with the floor, the hallway, the spare room, under the bed...

You want vertical?? I can go vertical. :twisted: Was thinking the same thing Blap. I like what Bill is doing so far, but a vertical element, I think, will enhance it.
John Fleming
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

The problem with the donor kit is there is very little vertical with the P-38, even the vertical stabilizer/rudder are not very tall...

BTW forgot to mention what POS the kit is. Not designed for the gear bays or the gun bay to be closed up. Thus, thin mating surfaces and large gaps to fill. Gap filling CA has been my friend...

Also, most of the raised detail has been eliminated...
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Last edited by TimeScape on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

All I'm seeing are messages saying the image has been deleted or moved. :?
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Lonewolf wrote:All I'm seeing are messages saying the image has been deleted or moved. :?
Links fixed.

John, package taken to post office yesterday. It will not be shipped out until Monday. You should have it by the end of the week.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

And the package has arrived. :D

And a surprise - Dual build. I was expecting one, but got two instead. I thought the second one was a parallel build for yourself Bill??

If they are both to be part of the challenge... That poses an interesting quandary; Build the same with slight variances as an A model vs. a B model. Or, go in two completely different directions. Hmmm... :-k
John Fleming