Team Hosers! (or whatever...)

The Travelling Model Project is back! Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Johnnycrash wrote:And the package has arrived. :D

And a surprise - Dual build. I was expecting one, but got two instead. I thought the second one was a parallel build for yourself Bill??

If they are both to be part of the challenge... That poses an interesting quandary; Build the same with slight variances as an A model vs. a B model. Or, go in two completely different directions. Hmmm... :-k
Ir it's up to you to integrate them into one model. Can you create something to join them? Will they be left right? Top, bottom? Front, back?
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Whats happening?!?!!? Any pics yet? :D
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Oops! Sorry. I'll post some later tonight. Hopefully. :)
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Johnnycrash wrote:And the package has arrived. :D

And a surprise - Dual build. I was expecting one, but got two instead. I thought the second one was a parallel build for yourself
Oops forgot to mention that part...😈

As I recall you have several of these kits, so a ring ship as I mentioned earlier could be a possibility...
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Johnnycrash wrote:Oops! Sorry. I'll post some later tonight. Hopefully. :)
Hey John where are the pics? It is Sunday morning here in Adelaide...😈😈😈😈😈
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

TimeScape wrote:
Johnnycrash wrote:Oops! Sorry. I'll post some later tonight. Hopefully. :)
Hey John where are the pics? It is Sunday morning here in Adelaide...😈😈😈😈😈
It's Sunday morning her in Canada now too! :8)
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Sorry guys. Technical issues. Like technically my camera is a POS right now. So, sorry for the crappy pics. I'll try and take better ones later.

I haven't got as much done as I want yet. But I have most of the parts standing by. I decided to concentrate on just one of the two that Bill made. That way, the next guy can take it in another direction if he sees fit. Or redo what I did to the other one. :D

Image 01 -- Image 02 -- Image 03 -- Image 04
John Fleming
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

just out of curiosity, what's the nose extension for? gonna build up a motor in there or something?
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

raser13 wrote:just out of curiosity, what's the nose extension for? gonna build up a motor in there or something?
It's just to make the hull bigger. That area will be completely filled in, and smoothed to match the rest of the hull. That was just as far as I got before the pics where take.
John Fleming
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

gotcha just wondering, thanks
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

:ttiw:
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

I haven't got as much done as I want yet. Again.

You can see bits of a Airfix 1/72 Tornado being chopped (you can see where I will cut the upper fuselage) up to make a new cockpit. It will sit atop the main extended fuselage, blending into the glass of the P-38. The bottom half turned upside down, and stuck in place. Then the top half stuck on top of that. I couldn't get the parts to stay there for a pic.

The Tornado tail fin will be molded, and cast so I have two. They will be placed at the end of the booms, pointing up like normal.

May add tip-tanks to the P-38s angled wings. Still thinking on that one.

As well, a resin cast of the Trumpeter 1/144 747 wing is prepped to be attached to the bottom. It is the two top halves. One winglet snapped off. It was a clean break, so will go back on easily. I thought of making it removable. But it would take to long to get that to work right, so just gonna glue it, and blend it in.

Image 05 -- Image 06 -- Image 07 -- Image 08

I tried to clean up some of the seams. I seem to have spent all day sanding seams. UGH!! I don't want to leave a complete moon surface for Blappy to try and make look good. :D Man!! I so want, no NEED, to cover this bitch in primer. I need to see where I need to fill/sand/fill/sand...

Blap, my thoughts on colours, as of now, is gloss red with black/white pin stripes. But who knows what it will look like by the time it gets to you. :shock:

Maybe Mottom will concentrate on the second kit in this set. :?:
John Fleming
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Johnnycrash wrote:
Blap, my thoughts on colours, as of now, is gloss red with black/white pin stripes. But who knows what it will look like by the time it gets to you. :shock:

Maybe Mottom will concentrate on the second kit in this set. :?:
Oh I have colour ideas. For me modeling is ALL about the painting these days. I will do all priming, finish sanding and painting. You guys just construct and try to keep the seams clean. And build it strong! Metal pins and the like so I don't have to fix stuff that starts flying off during finish sanding.

I would rather all attention go to one model. This will come to me at the peak of Wonderfest crunch time so I will be forgoing even more sleep to get it done. One model that is the focus will be better then two models watering down effort.

I like where you are going with all of the wing elements. It should look nice and delicate! The engines on the back look good too.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Blappy wrote:Oh I have colour ideas. For me modeling is ALL about the painting these days.
And for me it been all about the design ascetics of the shape and details. I haven't been getting to the painting part lately. I need to work on that.
Metal pins and the like so I don't have to fix stuff that starts flying off during finish sanding.
I just took a break from doing that to read these messages. :D I needed time to get all the resin dust and crap off me after drilling the holes for the 747 wing attachment. I really should have shoved rods into the liquid resin. Oops!! But I think the current pin is a little too long right now.
I would rather all attention go to one model. This will come to me at the peak of Wonderfest crunch time so I will be forgoing even more sleep to get it done. One model that is the focus will be better then two models watering down effort.
The second model is pretty clean as it is. With just a few elements it would be it's own ship. That's one reason I am trying to make sure the one I am working on is as clean as possible -- Less work for you.
I like where you are going with all of the wing elements. It should look nice and delicate! The engines on the back look good too.
Thank you. Hopefully this new photo gives you an even better idea. I plan on having the 747 wing attached (very well) today, and pics tonight.

The Tornado VertFin will be cut down a bit so that it sits off the back of the boom, and fits down between the engine nozzles.

Image 09
John Fleming
raser13

Post by raser13 »

dang johnny, just a few molds in the back groud of that last pic?! :shock:
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

raser13 wrote:dang johnny, just a few molds in the back groud of that last pic?! :shock:
I have hundreds and hundreds (or more, never counted) 'round here. Those are just the ones I made Thursday. :D
John Fleming
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

So, I didn't get the 747 wing attached. :(

But, I did get the new cockpit set, and fared in pretty well to the old cockpit. The tip-tanks are installed, pins on the 747 wing in place, as well as the belly of the beast drilled, filled with apoxie, and the pins pushed in (and removed) to make the mounting for the 747 wing. Oh, and the LEGO you see in the background is the mold for the Tornado tail fin. Rubber poured, castings tomorrow.

Image 10
John Fleming
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

That's really starting to take shape! I wasn't sold on the tip tanks but they give it a real 1950's feel. The age of the bare metal jets! :8)

I really like what you have done with the cockpit set up. I had no idea where you were going with it. Most excellent!
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Thanks Blap. :D I never considered all metal. Nice!!

OK, here she is with the 747 wing attached, and now on a display stand (no choice now).

Image 11 -- Image 12 -- Image 13 -- Image 14 -- Image 15 -- Image 16 -- Image 17

Really sorry about the blurry images. This camera I think is on it's last legs. I just can't seem to get it to focus right. AARRGGHH!!! :(
John Fleming
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Beauty, eh!
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
raser13

Post by raser13 »

how on earth would you ever land that thing?!
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

raser13 wrote:how on earth would you ever land that thing?!
On a giant Zeppelin carrier with custom made docking apparatus of course! Geesh... :wink: :D
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Blappy wrote:On a giant Zeppelin carrier with custom made docking apparatus of course! Geesh... :wink: :D
Really?? Thought it would have been obvious. Oh well.

Air Landing One -- Air Landing Two
John Fleming
raser13

Post by raser13 »

um they're launching from those rigs. :oops: they do land on the aircraft carrier part though.
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

Or it's the obvious one way trip.
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." -Jayne Cobb
M3

Post by M3 »

The bottom "wing" is actually for hydroplane landings. At rest, she sits on those wingtip "floats".
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with others when we're not being cool.
- Cameron Crowe, "Almost Famous"
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

John

When you said "I can go vertical" you weren't kidding. I found some wings in the parts bin and set them aside, but nothing even close to that. I did find lots of weapons to try out. Guess I will look at them and have them ready for my turn.
Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Or, re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere and die in a fiery crash.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

raser13 wrote:um they're launching from those rigs. :oops: they do land on the aircraft carrier part though.
Ah, yes. I meant to post an image of the trapeze system they used for the X-85 and some F-84s. Talk about hooking up!! :shock:
Gundamhead wrote:Or it's the obvious one way trip.
Trips are never one way, it's just that you don't always end up back where you started. :D
M3 wrote:The bottom "wing" is actually for hydroplane landings. At rest, she sits on those wingtip "floats".
Bingo!! We have a weenier!!! So often, you mention Sci-Fi, and everyone jumps straight to outer space with aliens. Ugh!! :roll: Hell!! That's a good premise for the next SSM contest: Sci-Fi, but NOT Outer Space (but orbital is OK).
Mottom wrote:When you said "I can go vertical" you weren't kidding. I found some wings in the parts bin and set them aside, but nothing even close to that. I did find lots of weapons to try out. Guess I will look at them and have them ready for my turn.
Up up and away!! :P I don't see this as military, it's a civilian craft. Now, it could be ex-military, or a craft that could be drafted for military service (like a Cessna and the like). So, I don't see it with weapons. But hey, that's out of my hands. Of course... There is a second kit in the box. THAT could be the War!! What's it good for?? Absolutely nothing!! Huh!! Say it again version. Just saying.

I didn't get anything more done on Sunday, or today. This cold is really kicking my as, uh... butt. Yeah, that's it. I have had a massive headache the last two days. I may just have to leave it as is. Hope to get it out in the next day or so though.

I like what I have done so far. Looking at maybe doing it again, but in 1/32. This one is 1/72, so 2.25x bigger. Now, I need to find a 1/32 Tornado GR.1, 3/64 P-38M, and a 1/64 747 wing. Hmm...
John Fleming
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Johnnycrash wrote:
Mottom wrote:When you said "I can go vertical" you weren't kidding. I found some wings in the parts bin and set them aside, but nothing even close to that. I did find lots of weapons to try out. Guess I will look at them and have them ready for my turn.
Up up and away!! :P I don't see this as military, it's a civilian craft. Now, it could be ex-military, or a craft that could be drafted for military service (like a Cessna and the like). So, I don't see it with weapons. But hey, that's out of my hands. Of course... There is a second kit in the box. THAT could be the War!! What's it good for?? Absolutely nothing!! Huh!! Say it again version. Just saying.
I agree on no weapons. I picture this as some kind of a racer. But the second one could most definitely be military with lots of boom boom kill kill on it.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

Sounds good, one civvi, one mil. One flashy paint job and one dull.

I really like the way the first one is looking and was worried there wouldn’t be much left to do.

That will give me the chance to hack and mash the other one some, that’s my favourite part.
Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Or, re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere and die in a fiery crash.