Team Hosers! (or whatever...)

The Travelling Model Project is back! Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Johnnycrash wrote:
Blappy wrote:I'm just semi-panicking early to be sure I can get it done. :8)
The panicking or the model??
Yes.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

NX-17000 wrote:
Blappy wrote:OK so how long is NX-17000 going to have it and how much time will I have? I'm going into full on Wonderfest crunch time now. That means I need to have it for as long as possible. I'll have to be stealing 30 minutes here and there to mask and paint these.

I'm just semi-panicking early to be sure I can get it done. :8)
How do you want to work it? My exams end the 23rd, so I'd like to have it a few days afterwards to get some real time on it. I doubt it will take much more than a week to get to you.
That works for me. I'll get it done mo matter what.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

NX-17000

Did post office contact you saying package is ready for pick-up?

I was notified it is at Cole Harbour Post Office, tracking number 0102671000188592
Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Or, re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere and die in a fiery crash.
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

Yep, Models have arrived. Picked them up this afternoon. Pics of my thoughts to follow as soon as I find the camera, or decide to use the cheap one in the phone.
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

So, has anyone here ever pulled the manoeuvre where you play with parts for a few days, sketch down some ideas and decide to photograph everything during the build process? Few days later you go to right to work, start cutting, glueing, etc and then realise halfway through when your hands are covered in putty, glue and paint that you:
a) Intended to take photos of the build-up throughout the process, which you've just done
b) Intended to use a phone camera with a touchscreen - but your hands are a disaster.

That basically sums up my modeling tonight. My usual rule is that I don't touch my phone after I've worked on models, especially where I just bought a new one, and I don't want to ruin it right away. So, I've decided to let my work set, and take some shots of it in the morning.
To give you an idea of my progress (Since thus far I've done a great job of hiding my work away) So far I've added some engines & cockpit detail to the smaller craft, and I've added a set of fins to the larger one. Again, pics to follow tomorrow morning.

Blappy, can you PM me your mailing info? I was planning on sending this out tomorrow night, although given the direction I'm going, I'm thinking I'll probably send it first thing Thursday.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

PM sent.

Oh God Putty.... I see way too much sanding in my future. :D

Time to break out the 60 grit and Duplicolor Filler Primer to speed things along! It won't be perfect bit it will be done!
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

my camera has a super glue fingerprint on the screen from where i tapped it with my thumb one time i was taking a pic. i fogged the lens of my last one with super glue fumes while i was taking in progress pics. so i kind of do pictures at stopping points now. after every things cured and cleaned up. plus i think as modelers we can see what you did and figure out how you did most of the time as long as we have a before and after.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

Blappy wrote:Oh God Putty.... I see way too much sanding in my future. :D
Fear not, I havent made a putty mess on the traveling models! I've got the travelling models, Mobius's Colonial One and a Starcrafts Steamrunner all on the bench atm. Lets me work on something while I let parts dry. The putty work was from my work with the steamrunner. Photos to come in a moment or two.
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

So, here's what I've been doing.

I decided to work a bit more with the smaller one since it had a larger cockpit, and I figured I might be able to do more there.

First thing I wanted to do was cover up the large hole in the back of the cockpit. I fiddled aroun with the idea of using some sheet styrene, but every time I tried I couldnt get it to look right and I kept knocking it into the cavity. I ended up using the landing gear from a Mk VII Viper. It forms the base of the back cockpit. Next up, I gave it a coat of Grey (Aggressor grey if I remember correctly) and then I went to work trying to add some piping to the cockpit. Initially I had just planned to add a little bit on the side, but when I started trying to do it, I wasnt happy with the results, where the rod I was using (~1.5mm dia) was bending too easily. So, I switched over to ~2mm dia rod and I decided to try putting it all the way through. It also covered the edges of the landing gear, which saved me from trying to make it fit better. Next I took some pieces from an old car model, and used them to cover the back of the cockpit and to put a brace across the rods. I made the headrest out of a piece of sprue.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10779762 ... pKilouqgJg

The other part of the smaller ship I worked with was the engines. The last few days I was toying with the idea of using some sort of cylindrical engines on the back since that looked like what it was intended for. Then I stumbled across this stuff here:

This is what was used for the other engines, and it looks like it was cast in two sets of three. Since two were used in one set, I had four left over. I ended up cutting one in half, and using 1 1/2 for each engine.

In the end, I think it worked out pretty well. The only catch is that because of how I left it to dry, one of them shifted overnight. The photo's in the album. I'm going to come back to it tonight and try to fix it up.

Other than that, the only thing I've done is glued a pair of fins onto the larger ship. I'm also thinking that one may be slightly crooked here - More fun for me tonight.

Here's the link to the album if you want to see the rest of the photos. I've also got a pair of 1/72 pilots I'm working with, where I'd like to try and give the ships pilots.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

When is this shipping to me? I want to look out for it.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

Shoot! I meant to send you the info right after I delivered it. Tracking # will make it's way to you in a moment
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

A large box arrived today. Everything appeared to survive in tact.

I might make a few minor changes then get to finishing the big one. The smaller one needs a lot more work so I will see if I can do it too.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I've come up with an idea for the second model. :8)
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

Blappy wrote:A large box arrived today. Everything appeared to survive in tact.

I might make a few minor changes then get to finishing the big one. The smaller one needs a lot more work so I will see if I can do it too.
\

Now that's fast. I didnt think you'd have it until midweek. Can't wait to see what you do, I only wish I had had the time to put more work into it.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

OK so there is movement afoot to postpone these until 2016. I can finish the civilian version but the Military will be very hard. I was going to slam it into a base half buried in sand and rusted out as a vignette of 60 year old wreck. Weathered, rusted, abandoned.

So if everyone wants a second crack at it I can send it on in June after I do some work on it.

The other one with the big wing will get done and to WF though.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

Blappy

Did you see the decals I threw in for a paint scheme inspiration? I was thinking maybe bare metal with red pin stripping from the decal sheet for “Big Wing”. :wink:

NX-17000

Yes, I was going for the round engine parts on the small one. The engine housings just were not working out for me, started to get to wide (kind of big hipped). The two part putty I had seems to be beyond its usable date and I started to get really rushed trying to get it fixed.

I like what you did with the engines, helps to tie the two ships together in looking like they came from the same manufacture.

Was there a rattle in the little one when you got it? I lost some bits inside as well and could not get them out.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

A piece of plastic fell out of the little one finally. So no more rattle.

I'm not thinking a bare metal finish will fly on this. The model is now a hodge podge of at least four different putty types including the thin two part finishing bondo I am using in an attempt to make it smooth. Photos later.

I did see the decals but envision a blue and white racing paint scheme. ;)
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I have only had a chance to do some bondo work to smooth out the model before primer then paint. I am about six weeks behind on regular work here. Fingers crossed that I can actually pull this off. If I do it will be a case of "Finished is better than perfect.". Not that the perfect model even exists. ;)
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

Mottom wrote: Did you see the decals I threw in for a paint scheme inspiration? I was thinking maybe bare metal with red pin stripping from the decal sheet for “Big Wing”. :wink:
I'm gonna guess he never got the decals, mostly because I don't remember putting them in the box... I don't remember taking them out of the box either though.
Blappy wrote: I have only had a chance to do some bondo work to smooth out the model before primer then paint. I am about six weeks behind on regular work here. Fingers crossed that I can actually pull this off. If I do it will be a case of "Finished is better than perfect.". Not that the perfect model even exists.
Do what you've gotta do. All else fails, we send them around again and show em off in 2016.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

NX-17000 wrote:
Mottom wrote: Did you see the decals I threw in for a paint scheme inspiration? I was thinking maybe bare metal with red pin stripping from the decal sheet for “Big Wing”. :wink:
I'm gonna guess he never got the decals, mostly because I don't remember putting them in the box... I don't remember taking them out of the box either though.
Blappy wrote: I have only had a chance to do some bondo work to smooth out the model before primer then paint. I am about six weeks behind on regular work here. Fingers crossed that I can actually pull this off. If I do it will be a case of "Finished is better than perfect.". Not that the perfect model even exists.
Do what you've gotta do. All else fails, we send them around again and show em off in 2016.
Yes I got the Decals. :)

I will try to get some time into it this week. I still have eight days before I leave! I have done far more in less time my friends. ;)
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

:paranoid:
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Yeah so Wonderfest has come and gone. I was casting right into the 11th hour as usual.

Sorry I was not able to pull this off for the group but work just had to have priority of course.

Here is what I would like to do...

The model with the big wing is just about finished. I can't see sending it around again as the design is done and refined. It really just needs several hours of cleaning up as you would expect from a kit bash then painting. I would love to finish this and we can call it done. I'm really stoked to paint this one! I can transport it to WF next year too.

The other model can go back to the start of the list and everyone can have two months with it and eventually it will come back to me for final paint. Unless someone else wants to paint this one.....
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

Don't worry about it. There's always next year. If we do go back around with 2 months per person, can I be moved further up the list? I have an Engineering Coop coming up next winter, and there's no guarantee I'll even be in the province when my turn would come around.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Sounds like a plan Blap. Finishing is my weak area. :(

Send Kit#2 to NX-17000, and he can have it for June/July/August, and I'll take it for August/September/October. By then we'll know if I send it to Timescape or Mottom. But I think having you have it for finishing is the best plan for now.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

Johnnycrash wrote: Finishing is my weak area. :(
that's what she said. :oops: o.k. got my inner 10 year old out of my system for the day.sorry
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Johnnycrash wrote:Sounds like a plan Blap. Finishing is my weak area. :(

Send Kit#2 to NX-17000, and he can have it for June/July/August, and I'll take it for August/September/October. By then we'll know if I send it to Timescape or Mottom. But I think having you have it for finishing is the best plan for now.
I am OK with that. I foresee myself with little model time between now and CAPCON :( (I am the Treasurer, Sponsorship Coord & Vendor Coord. Can you say one-man show? Its not true but does seem like it from time to time! :D )

Hey Blappy, just had a thought (stand back everyone). Maybe we could get one of these finished and up to Ottawa for CAPCON (26 Sep). Unfortunately, it could not be entered into the contest as more than one modeler had a hand in it, but we could put it on display with photos and notes etc. Its too bad that our new category Group Build is applicable to dioramas only... :roll:
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

TimeScape wrote:
Hey Blappy, just had a thought (stand back everyone). Maybe we could get one of these finished and up to Ottawa for CAPCON (26 Sep). Unfortunately, it could not be entered into the contest as more than one modeler had a hand in it, but we could put it on display with photos and notes etc. Its too bad that our new category Group Build is applicable to dioramas only... :roll:
I would love to get down to CAPCON but I'm not sure it's in the cards. I can probably get this done by then. I know a few local guys that usually Attend like Kerry Traynor so I could send it with them.
TimeScape wrote:Its too bad that our new category Group Build is applicable to dioramas only... :roll:
That's a silly rule. It should apply to anything.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
raser13

Post by raser13 »

so where do your models stand? where are they at?(who has them) and what are your plans with them now that you have a year to work on them?
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

OK I have the models. I am going to finish the one and send the other on.

Whoever I am sending the once to please let me know and I will get in the mail this week.

I have been out of town a lot on business and bit of a holiday but I'm back here full time now.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

I'm willing to start the rotation off.

I have some time off work soon to work on it.