Traveling Model II

The Travelling Model Project is back! Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Scotaidh

Traveling Model II

Post by Scotaidh »

Who would like to do a Traveling Model again? We haven't done this since 2007 - I think it's time. :-) Who's with me?

Speaking as a member of the Grabthar's Hammer team, I had a blast, and it was great to finally see our finished product at WF.

It was good to see the other completed entries, too.

To refresh your memories a bit, here they are - the three completed builds:

Grabthar's Hammer

Tsunami

Black Cat
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

Sniff *sniff*, I was such a proud Poppa of that whole experiment! I didn't think anybody remembered. I'm down to try again. :8) :8)
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." -Jayne Cobb
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

sing me up i am game
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

For those that didn't know, the idea was this:
You start with any model and build it into what you wanted. Your vision. Any scale, color, doohickey or whatever. You had a week on it, then passed it to the next team member. He could do anything he wanted to it, change the paint, change the scale, but he had to use at least half of it for his vision. The next guy, the next, and so on. The only rules were, no hard feelings, and no total destruction. It was just creativity on somebody's previous idea and work.

As an example I start with a X-wing in 1/48 and build up what I envision for a week. My time is up and I send it to Scotaidh. He envisions a 1/2500 Federation dreadnaught and ditches the wings and starts building the x-wings cockpit and deck into a hangar bay. His week is up and he passes it (and the extra parts) he removed to the next guy. That guy envisions using the fuselage as a non scale 4 legged walker. His week is up and and he sends it on to the next guy who rips the legs off and uses them as struts for a cargo pod he added to it and adds a 1/72 scale cockpit. And on and on. All these guys who cwent before him, need to have some slightly thick skin to see the work they did ultimately altered from what they had envisioned. It was fun and I was a little surprised folk in general sorta ended up adding something more to the original design instead of redoing it majorly...
M3

Post by M3 »

I'm usually in for something like this, but I'd like some guarantee that it won't disappear like my last two entries. :(
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with others when we're not being cool.
- Cameron Crowe, "Almost Famous"
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

M3 wrote:I'm usually in for something like this, but I'd like some guarantee that it won't disappear like my last two entries. :(
We had one guy last time, kill one completely. Burned it if I remember. It's an act of trust and faith in the team members.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Pardon my ignorance, but just how does one 'pass' it on to the next guy????
Normal?? What is normal??
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

irishtrek wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but just how does one 'pass' it on to the next guy????
USPS.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
M3

Post by M3 »

With tracking.

Started another round, sent it off without tracking, it never got there. :x
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with others when we're not being cool.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Gundamhead wrote:
M3 wrote:I'm usually in for something like this, but I'd like some guarantee that it won't disappear like my last two entries. :(
We had one guy last time, kill one completely. Burned it if I remember. It's an act of trust and faith in the team members.
I was part of the "model killer" group. I was not impressed over his actions. :evil:

However, I beleive I am going to need another round of therapy, so I am in for Part Deux! :D
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

TimeScape wrote:However, I beleive I am going to need another round of therapy, so I am in for Part Deux! :D
Count me in too. What the hell. Put me on Bill's team (Timescape), we are both Canuckians.

BTW Bill, just got your email (got auto junked - oops!). Reply soonish.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

i'm in!! :D i've got boxes of parts just screaming at me to be used! my wife would love some of it to go away and never come back! plus i think i'm going to need a clear the head quick build soon and this sounds great.

how do you get the addy of the next person to send it to? is there an ordered list of names and we just pm them? or is there someone overseeing this that has a master list of names and addys and they just pm it to you as you get the model?
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

That's seven of us so far - just about one group's worth. Any more?

I have to say, it was tremendous fun. I was fairly new to SSM at the time, and very much in awe of those whose work I saw in the galleries. Meeting them here, building something with them, and finally seeing them in person at WF was huge for me.

Oh, I'm still in awe of their work, but now I know who they are - instead of just screen-names, they are friends. :-)

IIRC, the teams were set up by geographic region, to try to keep postage costs under control. The Tsunami was from the European group, I think - I don't know who built the Black Cat. The Hammer was the Eastern US build.

Team lists were circulated, and the lists were ordered by location - that is, you posted off the model to whomever was closest, after the one who sent it to you. There were some adjustments to this, naturally.

That way I knew, broadly, when the Hammer was coming to me, and I could get ready for it. The week of building was intense, and it was with a curious mix of relief and reluctance that I sent it on ... I pm'd the guy to whom I sent the Hammer so he'd know to expect it.

The last guy built a stand and painted the model, after his modifications were complete.

The important things were;
A - do your modification, and
B - send it on, with any parts you removed packed in the box with the model (in case someone down the line wanted them).

Greeblies were also added to the box, just in case. I urge caution with that, though - the box could get very heavy very fast, with consequent rise in costs. :-)

Nothing says you have to just passively wait for the model to arrive, either. I took advantage of the time I had, waiting for the Hammer to get to me, to build a complete add-on module. :-)
Dimitry
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Oh, what the heck. Count me in!

Anybody close to Michigan?
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I'd love to get in on this again. :) I loved the first two, and it would be cool to be a part of it again now that my skills have improved to more impressive levels.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

i'm in missouri, usa
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

TimeScape wrote:
Gundamhead wrote:
I was part of the "model killer" group. I was not impressed over his actions. :evil:
Why would you even do something like that? :shock:

Did he forget his medication or something?
Salamander
M3

Post by M3 »

Okay, I'm in- but this time, I'd prefer to be closer to the end of the line...

I'm in Kansas, so a Midwest group would be good.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

I'm happy to work with Matt . . . as long as the model doesn't end up becoming a huge robot with machine-gun breasts. :shock:
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

Lonewolf wrote:I'm happy to work with Matt . . . as long as the model doesn't end up becoming a huge robot with machine-gun breasts. :shock:
Sorry, it's possible. :P
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Yeah, I know. We're the ones that built the Gyno-Bot at Iron Modeler this year. :D

M3

Post by M3 »

Lonewolf wrote:I'm happy to work with Matt . . . as long as the model doesn't end up becoming a huge robot with machine-gun breasts. :shock:
Been there, done that. I'm trying to avoid working blue for awhile- don't want to be typecast. :wink:
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Well . . . . how about hollow-cast, or roto-cast? :P

But be assured, we won't re-cast!

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Here's the count so far:

Scotaidh - Rhode Island
Gundamhead - Maine
Johnnycrash - Ontario
Timescape - Ottawa
Raser13 - Missouri
Lonewolf - Michigan
MilleniumFalsehood - Kansas
M3 - Kansas
Kalhen - Arizona

Any more?
Dimitry
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Johnnycrash wrote:
TimeScape wrote:However, I beleive I am going to need another round of therapy, so I am in for Part Deux! :D
Count me in too. What the hell. Put me on Bill's team (Timescape), we are both Canuckians.

BTW Bill, just got your email (got auto junked - oops!). Reply soonish.
Been meaning to call. Was going to do it last night but by the time I got home all I wanted to do was crash. I was one of the lucky ones who got released from lockdown before 6pm...

Maybe call tonight.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
raser13

Post by raser13 »

Lonewolf wrote:as long as the model doesn't end up becoming a huge robot with machine-gun breasts. :shock:

machine gun jubblies? how did i miss those baby?

http://www.nextmovie.com/wp-content/upl ... Powers.jpg

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2012 ... _chest.jpg
M3

Post by M3 »

Vanessa Kensington wrote:Perhaps next time you could try foreplay!
Jedi Dade

Post by Jedi Dade »

I had a great time with the last one - I was in Grabthar's hammer as well...

I remember taking a ship made out of a mostly Star trek ships and a toy and adding apache helicopter parts and SW greeblies all over the thing... tons o fun...

unfortunately I'm working too much these days to get my own projects done - let alone take on one that has time limits ;)

But I encourage anyone thinking about it to go... its FUN. and if you're part of a tragedy - well we found out early who not to trust...

Jedi Dade
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

okay i am in
location (arizona)

would like to be towards the end or the finisher
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

If we don't have any more respondants, then I think we are all one team. Do we have a volunteer to start us off? I was thinking that one possible order would be:

Scotaidh in RI sends it to Gundamhead in Maine
Gundamhead in ME sends it to Timescape in Ottawa
Timescape in Ottawa sends it to Johnnycrash in Ontario
Johnnycrash in Ontario sends it to Lonewolf in Michigan
Lonewolf in Michigan sends it to M3 in Kansas
M3 in Kansas sends it to MilleniumFalsehood in Kansas
MilleniumFalsehood in Kansas sends it to Raser13 in Missouri
Raser13 in Missouri sends it to Kalhen in Arizona
Kalhen finishes the model and arranges for the model to show up at WF.

The above is just an example. Obviously, there is room for change and negotiation. Anyone could start it off - we just need to try to minimize postage, because the Grabthar's Hammer was quite large, by the second half of her build cycle.
Dimitry