Traveling Model II

The Travelling Model Project is back! Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Works for me.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

Sorry I missed this. Sounds very interesting.

Is it to late to get in?
Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Or, re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere and die in a fiery crash.
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Not at all. I wasn't going to seriously try to start this thing until next month, anyway.

Want to play? Welcome!
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

I'm just outside st. Louis ,mo if that changes anything. But looks good to me.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

sounds good to me. only thing is i would need to find someone who is going to WF so i could ship it to them when its finished.
:cry: sadly WF is not in the for see-able future for me
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I will admit I am a little gun shy after last time... It was my team who had our entry destroyed by an と お思 team member. And after I donated all of those nice Enterprise-D smoothie parts. :x

That being said I'll give it another go! I'm in Southern Ontario so can go after Johnnycrash and before Lonewolf. :8)

Whats the donor kit going to be?
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

I'm in, if you guys will take me. In Halifax, Nova Scotia. Based on the existing setup, I'd probably fit between Gundamhead & Timescape.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Well, with Blap and NX-17000, we have 4 Canucks. How many do we need for a team?? 4?? 5?? 6?? We are almost ready to have an all Canadian team. That would be cool.

Come on you guys. I KNOW we have more than just 4.

RogueWolf, you're out. :D Unless you are first. Shipping to "The Rock" is more costly then shipping to the USA. Yikes!
John Fleming
M3

Post by M3 »

We almost have enough team members for 3 separate projects- with an average of four participants each. (Move one of the Canadian contingent over to the first step in the Northeast group, and there's 4 exactly in each.)

Start the process on January 1. Each participant has 1 month to work, document, and ship. Second person gets it by Feb. 1, third by March 1, fourth by April 1. 4-person rounds end on May 1- less than 1 month before WF. (I've also chosen as end players folks who I am fairly certain will already be coming to WF.)

Northeast US:
1. Scotaidh in RI starts the model, and sends it to Gundamhead in Maine
2. Gundamhead in ME sends it to Lonewolf in Michigan
3. Lonewolf in Michigan finishes the model and arranges for the model to show up at WF.

Central/Southwest US:
1. Kalhen in Arizona starts the model, and sends it to MilleniumFalsehood in Kansas
2. MilleniumFalsehood in Kansas sends it to Raser13 in Missouri
3. Raser13 in Missouri sends it to M3 in Kansas
4. M3 in Kansas finishes the model and arranges for the model to show up at WF.

Canada:
1. Timescape in Ottawa sends it to Johnnycrash in Ontario
2. Johnnycrash in Ontario sends it to Mottom
3. Mottom sends it to NX-17000
4. NX-17000 sends it to Blap
5. Blap finishes the model and arranges for the model to show up at WF.

Feedback?
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with others when we're not being cool.
- Cameron Crowe, "Almost Famous"
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Sounds good to me.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Blappy wrote:I will admit I am a little gun shy after last time... It was my team who had our entry destroyed by an と お思 team member. And after I donated all of those nice Enterprise-D smoothie parts. :x

That being said I'll give it another go! I'm in Southern Ontario so can go after Johnnycrash and before Lonewolf. :8)

Whats the donor kit going to be?
Yes I remember receivng it and thinking of all the pretty colours of plastic... :D
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

M3 wrote:We almost have enough team members for 3 separate projects- with an average of four participants each. (Move one of the Canadian contingent over to the first step in the Northeast group, and there's 4 exactly in each.)

Start the process on January 1. Each participant has 1 month to work, document, and ship. Second person gets it by Feb. 1, third by March 1, fourth by April 1. 4-person rounds end on May 1- less than 1 month before WF. (I've also chosen as end players folks who I am fairly certain will already be coming to WF.)

Canada:

Feedback?
I'm in for that. Finishing is my favourite part part of the model process these days. I will also be attending WF so I can bring it with me.

I'm sure we can get the Starshipmodeler Czar (AKA OneZero) to set us up a dedicated forum if we grovel properly. :shock:

I suspect each team will come up with their base donor kit?
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

We may need to rearrange the order for the WF entry. I'm not going to be at WF 2015, as my wife and I are taking our kids to Florida next October.

My eldest daughter turns 16 next year in November, and family friends have offered to share their condo in the Orlando area so we don't have to pay for hotel. They have an extra week to use in 2015, so they said they'd love to spend time with us in the Sunshine State for a week.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

works for me!
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

M3 wrote:We almost have enough team members for 3 separate projects- with an average of four participants each. (Move one of the Canadian contingent over to the first step in the Northeast group, and there's 4 exactly in each.)

Northeast US:
1. Scotaidh in RI starts the model, and sends it to Gundamhead in Maine
2. Gundamhead in ME sends it to Lonewolf in Michigan
3. Lonewolf in Michigan finishes the model and arranges for the model to show up at WF.

Central/Southwest US:
1. Kalhen in Arizona starts the model, and sends it to MilleniumFalsehood in Kansas
2. MilleniumFalsehood in Kansas sends it to Raser13 in Missouri
3. Raser13 in Missouri sends it to M3 in Kansas
4. M3 in Kansas finishes the model and arranges for the model to show up at WF.

Canada:

Feedback?
Just a couple of things ...
1) Kalhen said he'd like to be last, not first ...
2) Like Lonewolf, I won't be able to attend WF in the near future, so unless Gundamhead can go, the NE build won't be there ... unless we post it to some kind soul to take for us? Maybe we could ask M3 to haul ours along with his?
3) I am still in the process of deciding what the donor model will be - and there are some issues with that, too. Large or small? Model kit or found item? Lots to consider ... but not for too long. :-)

Thoughts?
Feedback?
Dimitry
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Scotaidh wrote: Just a couple of things ...
2) Like Lonewolf, I won't be able to attend WF in the near future, so unless Gundamhead can go, the NE build won't be there ... unless we post it to some kind soul to take for us? Maybe we could ask M3 to haul ours along with his?
3) I am still in the process of deciding what the donor model will be - and there are some issues with that, too. Large or small? Model kit or found item? Lots to consider ... but not for too long. :-)

Thoughts?
Feedback?
2) You could always send it to the hotel in someones name and they pick it up.

3) Something common and cheap like the 1K TOS-E? I have a bagged one I can donate for my team.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Scotaidh wrote: Large or small? Model kit or found item?
Genre or era?? Something like "Trek", or "1970s". So, ANY Star Trek kit can be used, large or small. Or ANY kit from the 1970s (or first issued in the '70s), or representing a subject/theme from the 1970s.

As for a found object... Why not make that part of it as well. So, both a kit AND found object. Make the object vague as well. Something like "container", "lid", or "packaging".

This opens up the starting point for each team to just about everything possible.
John Fleming
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

found items ohhh...I have a box full of stuff that may suit... :twisted:

Speaking of which, John, I have a bunch of odds and ends that I will send to you for casting.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Found items?? Oohhh...I have a boxes full of stuff that may suit too... :twisted:

Speaking of which, Bill, I have a bunch of odds and ends that I will send to you that I cast.
John Fleming
raser13

Post by raser13 »

i have 8 m.r.e. cases full of found objects and they all scream at me to be used every time i open the box they're in. not to mention my beautiful and understanding wife.

http://s1.up.picr.de/4652897.jpg
http://s1.up.picr.de/4655501.jpg
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Well - to me ''Found'' objects are the stuff of scratchbuilding, so I collect and stash them ... medication bottles, shampoo, hair gel, stuff I have no idea what it is but it's in a cool-shaped bottle/container, cheap toys - that kind of thing. I even have ally-collectors - friends, store-cashiers, family who keep their eyes out and save stuff for me. :-)

One reason I so love Iron Modeler is the clean-up at the end. I generally come away with a huge box of greeblies. :-)
Dimitry
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

My wife is a nurse and often come home with throw away stuff like caps for medical bits etc that have unique shapes for greeblies. Problem with those is the plastic is difficult to work with, hence I send them off to be cast.

Some may end up on the CSS CANUK (or whatever we decide to build...)
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

A thought occurred to me today. (Shush! No, it didn't hurt. :P )

Since the NE team has only three members, what do you think of us sending the model around twice?
Dimitry
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Sounds like a plan. :8)
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Anyone else interested?

I know it's a busy time of year for everyone - chasing turkeys and interesting gifts for next month - so what if we kicked this off in January?

If we start now, we might could do it before the holiday rush, but, as they say in Scotland, ''Ah hae me doots.'' Mission creep, and all that.

What say you all?

I know there are more SSM'ers in the NE than just Gundamhead and myself ... I once found 7 of us.

Where are you guys?
you guys .... you guys ...

I intend, though, to start gathering the greeblies now - setting up the Shoebox of Strange Things, etc. - and making sub-assemblies. The way I see it, the sub-assemblies might not work with what arrives in the box, but they might, or possibly only need to be modified a bit. Worst case, they'll go for another build. :)
Dimitry
Prince of Styrene II

Post by Prince of Styrene II »

Hey all! Yea, long time, huh?? Life has been madcap the last two years with many changes & I've had to take time for myself, my daughter & all the new things that a new life has brought me. Sorry for going MIA.

So Scotaidh alerted me to the thread & I'd love to be counted in again! I'm still in MA, so I'll be a part of team North East.
"Hold the weapons Daddy, I'm going to go get my monkeys." My daughter, The Duchess of Styrene
==========================
"No, you're not eating cereal for supper!"
"But, Mommy, it's Star Trek & it's only for a limited time!"
==========================
"I like what you did with your A-hull."
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Glad you made it, Prince! :)

What does everyone want?

Start now, and brave the holidays?

or wait until the hoopla is over?
Dimitry
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

as for me i would like to wait.

also i do not mind being first (actually have an idea already for what to start with) so that would not be a problem.
raser13

Post by raser13 »

I'm open to which ever. I've already got most of my shopping done. I usually start in July and try to be done by mid Nov.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I'm fine waiting until after the holidays.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere