Maybe this time ... maybe?

Our 23rd On-Line Scale Modeling contest - 'Departures 2.0' - has launched!

Moderator: Moderators

southwestforests

Maybe this time ... maybe?

Post by southwestforests » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:23 am

Maybe this time the universe and my health will allow me to get one done and in a contest ... maybe?
Started a few days back. Kitbash conglomeration of Lindberg plastic space and airplane model parts, plus other beads, baubles, and random bits.
Want to light it in a few spots and that creates a bit of intimidation in that lighting plastic models is rather different from lighting model trains which are designed to come apart for access to service the mechanism. So, yeah, there is paranoia about sealing it all in behind glue, filler, paint, and decals.

:?: :arrow: thing is, not sure how to define the alternate history. Last night an idea began to start, but can it be finished logically, and finished good enough?

Anyway, am enjoying the idea, and enjoying working on the model tonight.
And with my health the way it is, we can forget having a museum quality paint job, ain't gonna happen. But I think I can still do good enough, not good enough to satisfy the memory of what I used to be able to do, but good enough. Actually, I am quite thankful to be able to still do model trains and other models even to the degree I now can.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011

onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Post by onezero » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:37 am

Good luck!
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

My friends wanted to go cow-tipping, but I've always been a firm believer that they should just be paid a living wage...

Alvis 3.1

Post by Alvis 3.1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:07 pm

My mantra in all of these contests is to have fun doing it, a couple times, they became problems, so I stopped.

Some may call it "cheating" on doing the wiring, but if you leave it open for access on one side, just don't photograph that one side. :)

I hope to see your completed concept.

Alvis 3.1
Semper Fried!

southwestforests

Post by southwestforests » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Well, gang, think might go with a different idea from the one in mind at original post.
Have a project going to fit with a published alternate timeline, which reads in part as
1949 - Working in a secret laboratory in New Jersey, Professor Jules Greenstone discovers the secret to atomic rocket propulsion. As is often the case, this discovery is accidental. ...
(skipping past more details) ...
1957 - The Westinghouse "Deep Space One" is completed and is one of the most impressive machines ever developed.
That comes from a little spaceship miniatures game titled "War Rocket - Space Battles in the Atomic Age". They also have a people game called "Retro Raygun".
Why not just go on and finish it up for game use then enter it in the contest?
Will spill that it is not a ship.
However, I am sloooooowly building some miniature ships suitable for use with the game. And have finally worked buying some in to the Social Security Disability income. Haven't yet actually played the game, and who knows, may never. Bought the little 6 inch by 9 inch rule book a couple months ago on an impulse buy in store. Only 78 pages including alternate history, rules, diagrams, photos. And this game is pretty close to the far, far, opposite end of the spectrum from Star Fleet Accounting. Oh, my bad, I meant Star Fleet Battles!

As far as the company produced miniature ships, they have some cool styling based on the golden age of science fiction and the pulp era.

One nice thing about game miniature ships is that at 4 inches and less long they are not overwhelming projects to assemble and throw some paint on.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."

southwestforests

Post by southwestforests » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Even though intent for final use is to be with the above game, the things I'm scratchbuilding and kitbashing are to my 2 personal styles, one which is more toward the fanciful end, and one more toward the Von Braun style, instead of the game producer's take on the 1930s and 40s retro style.

And this project is using some Von Braun flavor parts as a good portion of it is built with Lindberg's 1/96 scale U.S. Moon Ship.
My natural style of finish will look more like a 1950s United States timeline, therefore all I have to do is come up with my own story where we did get to space in the 1950s with that style of tech.

So, yeah, this build can work both places.
Now, all I have to do is to not over-complicate the build.

Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:37 pm

southwestforests wrote:Now, all I have to do is to not over-complicate the build.
And to STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!!!! You keep it up, and you may disqualify your entry. SHUT UP ALREADY!! :D

Rule 12 Entries are to remain anonymous until the contest ends. Your name will not be attached to your entry(ies) until winners have been announced. This is intended to ensure the playing field remains level. Do not announce on the discussion forums (ours or anyone else's) which entry is yours - until after the voting has ended. Oh, and don't bother eMailing your mom, your siblings and your only friend to vote for Entry Number XX ... it's really, really obvious when that happens and those votes get thrown out.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.

southwestforests

Post by southwestforests » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Actually, that paragraph didn't stick in my head :oops: got overpowered by the excitement of probably finally getting something done to enter.
Really wanted to enter the fighters contest from a couple years ago but it just couldn't be made to happen in time.
And, yeah, that thought just disappeared random in the aether.
Okay, enough, pushing too much, said!