Contest Models for WF 2017

Everyone's favorite modeling geekfest, 2016 edition. June 4-5 in Louisville, KY.
http://www.wonderfest.com/

Moderators: Blappy, WedgeCharlotte, Moderators

WedgeCharlotte

Contest Models for WF 2017

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:03 am

At the awards ceremony Sunday, we announced that next year will be John Davis' last as contest chairman. He wants to shoot for having 800 models on the table next year! That's a LOT - this year we had a little over 600, not our record but right up there, so that's a lot to ask.

I hope you all embrace the spirit of the challenge and bring MORE!!!! models next year to show off - don't worry our judges can handle it LOL
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
http://www.wonderfest.com
Go Panthers!
http://pantherfanz.smugmug.com

Blappy

Post by Blappy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:06 am

It's also the 40th anniversary of Star Wars being released in 1977. So build Star Wars models too!
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere

PixelMagic

Post by PixelMagic » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:04 am

Blappy wrote:It's also the 40th anniversary of Star Wars being released in 1977. So build Star Wars models too!
This year was the 50th of Star Trek and there weren't a ton of Trek models. I guess Star Wars is just more popular, and Bandai are doing an awesome job of giving us great new kits. If Bandai got the Trek license, I would be over the moon.

Lt. Z0mBe

Re: Contest Models for WF 2017

Post by Lt. Z0mBe » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:23 am

WedgeCharlotte wrote:At the awards ceremony Sunday, we announced that next year will be John Davis' last as contest chairman. He wants to shoot for having 800 models on the table next year! That's a LOT - this year we had a little over 600, not our record but right up there, so that's a lot to ask.

I hope you all embrace the spirit of the challenge and bring MORE!!!! models next year to show off - don't worry our judges can handle it LOL
Just a thought but one thing to consider might be allowing entrants to judge. If for no other reason than to give John a heck of a sendoff.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:35 pm

I've got two build ideas that I've wanted to build just for myself as one-offs, and I've never entered the contest. Time to see if I have the stuff to win a gold. :wink: I'm planning to start them in the next 2 weeks while I have the motivation and before I let work take up all of my time.
Delbert Wells
~~~~~~~~~
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, ModelAddix, NorthTrek Creations, and more!
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Get off yer duff and get to work! You've already had almost 24 hours to rest and relax! :P
Surrounded by unbuilt models. What the heck do I work on next??

Blappy

Post by Blappy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:43 am

WedgeCharlotte wrote:At the awards ceremony Sunday, we announced that next year will be John Davis' last as contest chairman. He wants to shoot for having 800 models on the table next year! That's a LOT - this year we had a little over 600, not our record but right up there, so that's a lot to ask.

I have a question!

Will you guys be counting the judges models too? I plan to finish several in process kits from "The shelf of shame" again this year. It would be a shame to do all of that work and not be counted.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere

Neb

Post by Neb » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:03 pm

PixelMagic wrote:
Blappy wrote:It's also the 40th anniversary of Star Wars being released in 1977. So build Star Wars models too!
This year was the 50th of Star Trek and there weren't a ton of Trek models. I guess Star Wars is just more popular, and Bandai are doing an awesome job of giving us great new kits. If Bandai got the Trek license, I would be over the moon.
As a side note, this year had the least amount of Star Wars models we've seen in recent memory. :shock:

I know for a fact there are tons of Trek and Star Wars resin kits out there--- it's time to break them out of their mothballs, build them, and get them to WF:2017!

You guys bring 'em---- I'll get the judges! :D :wink:
George Seletas
Wonderfest crew
www.wonderfest.com

Neb

Post by Neb » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Blappy wrote:

I have a question!

Will you guys be counting the judges models too? I plan to finish several in process kits from "The shelf of shame" again this year. It would be a shame to do all of that work and not be counted.
I'm all about putting pieces on the table to give the public something to see---- whether they're judged or displayed.

Bring 'em Dave! :D
George Seletas
Wonderfest crew
www.wonderfest.com

Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:56 pm

Hell, just Scott and Alfred could account for 60% of that 800....

:P
I got a sweater for Christmas last year. hope I get a screamer this year...

Neb

Post by Neb » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:38 am

Stu Pidasso wrote:Hell, just Scott and Alfred could account for 60% of that 800....

:P
:D
George Seletas
Wonderfest crew
www.wonderfest.com

Blappy

Post by Blappy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:30 am

Neb wrote:
Blappy wrote:

I have a question!

I'm all about putting pieces on the table to give the public something to see---- whether they're judged or displayed.

Bring 'em Dave! :D
I will bring them no matter what. I just think (hope) we should count them as part of "The 800" ;)
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere

Neb

Post by Neb » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:17 am

I agree. Judges get to contribute too!

Especially if it's new work. :D
George Seletas
Wonderfest crew
www.wonderfest.com

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:52 am

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:
Just a thought but one thing to consider might be allowing entrants to judge.
I can't believe it'd be a good idea to put the inmates in charge of the asylum ;)

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Rocketeer wrote:
Lt. Z0mBe wrote:
Just a thought but one thing to consider might be allowing entrants to judge.
I can't believe it'd be a good idea to put the inmates in charge of the asylum ;)
You just wouldn't be able to judge your own table is all. I guess it's conceivable judges could conspire amongst themselves in a "you give mine a gold, I'll do yours too" scheme. But I think it would be unlikely.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.