Remember those of us who cannot attend...

Everyone's favorite modeling geekfest, 2016 edition. June 4-5 in Louisville, KY.
http://www.wonderfest.com/

Moderators: Blappy, WedgeCharlotte, Moderators

onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Post by onezero » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:18 pm

naoto wrote:.

* The only reason why I picked up the Imai kit was my memories of the Macross, Mospeada and Orguss model kits from Imai -- which at the time of their release were pretty good (the VF-1 kit from Imai was THE kit to get -- until the Hasegawa kit came around). In retrospect, I should've remembered that the Space 1999 issues were somewhat older, and thus more likely to be like the Thunderbird and UFO kits (which were much more toy-like). It wasn't until *after* I made the purchase and looked inside the box did I realize what I'd bought. And yes, I *did* open the box while I was still at the hobby shop -- we all did get a pretty good chuckle however.
You probably didn't pay what I paid on eBay for that kit ..... and I had the same reaction.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

My friends wanted to go cow-tipping, but I've always been a firm believer that they should just be paid a living wage...

Brad

Post by Brad » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:32 pm

Well, the news about Moebius getting the 2001 license is great! I look forward to seeing what they what they produce.

And, although the Batman resin kit is bound to cost a pretty penny, I'd like to get one...

Brad

Post by Brad » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:35 pm

Arronax wrote:
Gaetan wrote:Did Moebius announce someting new ??? what did he talk about during 2 hours???
Since no one seems to be answering this . . .

All kits look great. The Batman v Superman prepaints were glorious....

Hope this helps.

Jim, what scale were these?

Thanks!

Gouf

Post by Gouf » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:59 pm

All my pics from the show:

http://kitbash.net/wf2016/
-Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy, but socially dead!

My finished kits can be seen here: http://kitbash.net

Yoda Jammies

Post by Yoda Jammies » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:17 am

Gouf, you take the best pics my friend. Thank you.
MTFBWY
Jammies

naoto

Post by naoto » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:41 am

onezero wrote:
naoto wrote:.

* The only reason why I picked up the Imai kit was my memories of the Macross, Mospeada and Orguss model kits from Imai -- which at the time of their release were pretty good (the VF-1 kit from Imai was THE kit to get -- until the Hasegawa kit came around). In retrospect, I should've remembered that the Space 1999 issues were somewhat older, and thus more likely to be like the Thunderbird and UFO kits (which were much more toy-like). It wasn't until *after* I made the purchase and looked inside the box did I realize what I'd bought. And yes, I *did* open the box while I was still at the hobby shop -- we all did get a pretty good chuckle however.
You probably didn't pay what I paid on eBay for that kit ..... and I had the same reaction.
(shrug) As I previously stated in that post, the price I paid for the Imai Space 1999 kit was about double that of the retail price of the MPC kit when it was reissued. The spacing of the wheel openings in the passenger pod and flashed-over slots on the floor would suggest to me that there was an option for a pullback motor might've been considered at some point. I also had the luck of ending up with the red/white runner combo (cringe).

of course I suppose I an take comfort that the Imai Space 1999 Eagle isn't as bad as some other kits that had been released.
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown/493 ... models.htm

Space Convoy kits
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown/493 ... convoy.htm
straight out of the box they're apt to disappoint:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/gekidan226/arch ... 4.html?p=2
amazing what some work and a good paint job can do:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/gekidan226/arch ... 78744.html

Speaking of Space Convoy kits... A twisted idea is to start with normal Star Wars figures and modify & repaint them into "idealized" versions of Space Convoy figures?
https://twitter.com/funbolt/status/5996 ... 97/photo/1
Last edited by naoto on Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人

Tchail

Post by Tchail » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:05 am

Just spotted over at the CultTVMan site that Round 2 is planning a set of all seven Enterprises in 1/2500 scale, with the NX-01 being a new tool.

:D

Should be out by the end of the year.
Last edited by Tchail on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

jgoldader

Post by jgoldader » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:40 am

Gouf wrote:All my pics from the show:

Thank you! Great work on display, nicely documented.

robiwon

Post by robiwon » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:50 am

How do you make a site like that? That's awesome. Always love your coverage. Thanks for taking two shots of my model! :D

May I borrow them (the two of my ship) and credit you if I share them elseware?
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"

lakespeed

Post by lakespeed » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:12 am

Tchail wrote:Disappointing, but not unsurprising.

I wish Round 2 would announce some new Cadet Series kits...

:cry:
Haven't read this thread fully so I apologize in advance if this was already answered but they are releasing an Enterprise set which will include the NX-01.

Wish they would have just done it separately because I have tons of the Enterprises already but there you go.
Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.
:(

robiwon

Post by robiwon » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:26 am

I'm glad they are redoing the clear ED. I missed it the first time around.

Arronax
Location: Orlando FL (originally from England but I expect my accent gave me away, didn't it)

Post by Arronax » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:55 am

jheilman wrote:
Lt. Z0mBe wrote:Question for the 1999 experts: what is the Hawk interceptor/fighter? I know nothing about it or the series but it looks so cool - almost like an early B5 craft.

Kenny
The Hawk is an earth space fighter. In a season 1 episode, Wargames, an attack on Moonbase Alpha by Hawks was an illusion placed in the Alphan's mind by an alien civilization as a test. They were only seen in that episode, but the ship is very cool and has a strong following.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Games ... e:_1999%29
It was also released as a model kit by MPC/Airfix but has long been unavailable and much desired by Space:1999 modelers. There are also resin kits still out there.
Jim

---------------------
Something, something, something, donkey balls

WedgeCharlotte

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:59 am

Following up on the Raptor comment/question - I got to talk to Dave Metzner about it - he said that the Raptor will be released as a kit by itself, with a "weapons pack" set you get separately if you want to do an attack Raptor version. Sounds like a great way to do it.

I hope you all had a great time this year - I have one question for all of you - due to the large numbers of awards this year we asked Dave to get through the list fast and he did a great job - do you think it was too fast, was it great since we got it done quick (about an hour), any feedback on that or anything else would be great. Please send me a message here if you have any lengthy comments or questions and thank you all for coming to the show!
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
http://www.wonderfest.com
Go Panthers!
http://pantherfanz.smugmug.com

jaws62666

Post by jaws62666 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:23 am

What about the Kirk and Spock figures from Moebius? No pics or release dates on them?

John P

Post by John P » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:28 am

If Moebius releases a Discovery, should I buy it right away, or wait a year until they release a "corrected and improved" version? :?

And I hope they fix the horribly inaccurate wings on the Orion.

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:17 am

I believe the president of Moebius told me that they will tweak the detail of the Clipper to improve its accuracy. The man who worked on the model for Moebius was there too. I forget his name, but he does 2001 prop replicas and such.

So anyhoo, here is video 1 of my coverage. I took nearly 3 hours to upload all this from my hotel wifi overnight. Enjoy.

Oh yeah, and the locals seem to call their city "Lua-ville" for some reason. Something must be done to stop this. Any suggestions?
:D
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
We're gonna stab your daughter at the mall. Ah aaah aaah! We're gonna stab your wife, your son. Oooooh!

travisc

Post by travisc » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:04 am

it's LouVille no "a"

rossjr

Post by rossjr » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:05 am

jheilman wrote:
Lt. Z0mBe wrote:Question for the 1999 experts: what is the Hawk interceptor/fighter? I know nothing about it or the series but it looks so cool - almost like an early B5 craft.

Kenny
The Hawk is an earth space fighter. In a season 1 episode, Wargames, an attack on Moonbase Alpha by Hawks was an illusion placed in the Alphan's mind by an alien civilization as a test. They were only seen in that episode, but the ship is very cool and has a strong following.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Games ... e:_1999%29
They actually had a kit there at the show. It was the original boxing and they wanted $65 for it. I saw it at Early Bird time but after a few laps around the room it was gone....

jgoldader

Post by jgoldader » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:41 am

Arronax wrote:
(The Space:1999 Hawk) was also released as a model kit by MPC/Airfix but has long been unavailable and much desired by Space:1999 modelers. There are also resin kits still out there.
IIRC, the tooling was apparently lost, hence no repop by R2. Too bad.

robiwon

Post by robiwon » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:14 pm

It's Lewie Ville!

Tchail

Post by Tchail » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:36 pm

lakespeed wrote:
Tchail wrote:Disappointing, but not unsurprising.

I wish Round 2 would announce some new Cadet Series kits...

:cry:
Haven't read this thread fully so I apologize in advance if this was already answered but they are releasing an Enterprise set which will include the NX-01.

Wish they would have just done it separately because I have tons of the Enterprises already but there you go.
I hear you!

I need another Enterprise model like I need another hole in my head!

It's cool they're doing this, but I already have the F-Toys version. And it came prepainted!
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

E-Dub

Post by E-Dub » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:14 pm

Kirk/Spock figures?
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER

Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:27 pm

WedgeCharlotte wrote: ...I have one question for all of you - due to the large numbers of awards this year we asked Dave to get through the list fast and he did a great job - do you think it was too fast, was it great since we got it done quick (about an hour), any feedback on that or anything else would be great. Please send me a message here if you have any lengthy comments or questions and thank you all for coming to the show!
I really was very pleased with the way the Awards show was handled; Dave went thru it at a speed that *I* prefer. Some folks do stay over till Monday or later, but some of us really need to be getting on the road, so I was really, really pleased with how it was this year. :thumbsup:
________
Joe Brown

Arronax
Location: Orlando FL (originally from England but I expect my accent gave me away, didn't it)

Post by Arronax » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:43 pm

WedgeCharlotte wrote:I hope you all had a great time this year - I have one question for all of you - due to the large numbers of awards this year we asked Dave to get through the list fast and he did a great job - do you think it was too fast, was it great since we got it done quick (about an hour), any feedback on that or anything else would be great. Please send me a message here if you have any lengthy comments or questions and thank you all for coming to the show!
I thought it was a little too fast. I appreciated that due to the number of awards that some speeding up was necessary. I'm still not sure what I won a bronze for.
Jim

---------------------

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:56 pm

WedgeCharlotte wrote:...I have one question for all of you - due to the large numbers of awards this year we asked Dave to get through the list fast and he did a great job - do you think it was too fast, was it great since we got it done quick (about an hour), any feedback on that or anything else would be great. ...
I miss the individual recognition for the Golds. Just makes it a bit more special.

sci-fi-bldr

Post by sci-fi-bldr » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:17 pm

Me too.......and holding the applause for the bronzes until the end..there is a lot of names and during the commotion you can miss some names.

The show runners do a great job the whole show...and especially the awards show...Dave Hodge does a great job getting it done quickly with keeping it entertaining......without a lot of fluff

With more entries and the quality increasing a little more time may be needed to give everyone receiving their time to shine

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:10 pm

Arronax wrote:... I'm still not sure what I won a bronze for.
The winners list is up on the Wonderfest site.

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:47 am

many thanks for posting pictures of the show mate, it's really appreciated !
ScaleModelWorld.net

"The most efficient killing machine ever invented and you've got it doing laundry" John Connor

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:06 am

Rocketeer wrote:
HOLY CRAP! I got another medal I didn't know about.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.

Arronax

Post by Arronax » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:
Rocketeer wrote:
HOLY CRAP! I got another medal I didn't know about.

Kenny
Same here. Found a Merit I didn't know about.
Jim

---------------------