Remember those of us who cannot attend...

Everyone's favorite modeling geekfest, 2016 edition. June 4-5 in Louisville, KY.
http://www.wonderfest.com/

Moderators: Blappy, WedgeCharlotte, Moderators

Andy_USA

Remember those of us who cannot attend...

Post by Andy_USA » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:27 am

Pictures please, lots and lots of them :D I'm sure I speak for those stuck at home when I say thank you very much. :bow: Have fun Ya'll.
Too many Captains....Not enough Engineers.
Founder Anti-Aztec Starship League :)

Finished Work for Kicks and Grins: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/l ... odelphotos
My Build Area http://s68.photobucket.com/user/law0941 ... bby%20Room

Pray For Our Country,She is in Trouble.
Andy_USA

irishtrek

Post by irishtrek » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:29 pm

And info on new kits in the making as well as reissues along with pictures.
can a sewing bee really sew??

phicks

Post by phicks » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:10 pm

Let me third that motion! Now with SSM's Facebook page, sharing a new model or re-release with us as simple as Facebook, take cellphone picture, and post.

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:02 am

I plan to take plenty of pics, as well as a video for my YT channel.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
We're gonna stab your daughter at the mall. Ah aaah aaah! We're gonna stab your wife, your son. Oooooh!

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:47 am

irishtrek wrote:And info on new kits in the making as well as reissues along with pictures.
amen to that!
ScaleModelWorld.net

"The most efficient killing machine ever invented and you've got it doing laundry" John Connor

Tchail

Post by Tchail » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:32 am

So, end of the second day.

Any news?

Or are all of you still out drinking?

:P
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:02 am

The president of Mobius put on a 2 hour presentation or so yesterday and the first several people who got there received a free kit of their double 1:72 scale Viper models. I didn't find out about it until the very end since I didn't have a programming brochure. I intend to not miss out on anything interesting today.

I bought the old MPC Hoth Base Hangar diorama for $15. I was talking to a guy selling T-shirts and he said he thought it looked cool. He asked me what I would do with the vacuum-formed base and I said I'd probably toss it out since all I really cared about was the sprues. He said "How much you want for it?" and I gave it to him and the box for free. I just know that it wouldn't survive the flights I'll be on before I get back to Japan, plus all I truly wanted from this is the Rebel Transport and maybe the Falcon. The Y-Wings would be good for a video game spoof or something because that's all they look like.

I also got the Revell Cylon Raider reissue from about 10 years ago for only $15, still sealed.

This is my first time at the event, and it is bigger and better than I imagined. Being used to the WonFes in Japan, I was afraid that I would be disappointed. This may be smaller, but it is cosier, better air conditioned, and with free booze to boot. Plus I get to explain how I came up with my ridiculous username to the forum members repeatedly. I still haven't found Blappy, I don't think. I'll try to meet him. It's cool to get to meet more forum members on this side of the ocean.

EDIT: Oh yes, and I bought a Starship Modeler T-shirt from John yesterday. OHMYGOSHIALWAYSWANTEDTOBECOOLANDNOWIFINALLYAM!
Greg
We're gonna stab your daughter at the mall. Ah aaah aaah! We're gonna stab your wife, your son. Oooooh!

Gaetan

Post by Gaetan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:18 am

Did Moebius announce someting new ??? what did he talk about during 2 hours???
THUNDERBIRDS ARE GOooo.......

phicks

Post by phicks » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:41 am

Free Booze???

fritzthefox

Post by fritzthefox » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:32 pm

It was my first year there. I spent an impressive (for me) amount of money really fast. All of it, really. The vendors were amazing. The models in the model show were amazing. I walked around in a state of amazement most of the day.

A lot of people had the 1/48th Eagle kit under their arm. (myself included)

I was disappointed that the Robby the Robot replica maker only brought a standee of Robby. He was selling cool t-shirts, though.

The official t-shirts (with Robby on them) sold out very quickly.

I came with a couple friends, and I suspect we will all be back next year.

Arronax
Location: Orlando FL (originally from England but I expect my accent gave me away, didn't it)

Post by Arronax » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:10 pm

Gaetan wrote:Did Moebius announce someting new ??? what did he talk about during 2 hours???
Since no one seems to be answering this . . .
  • Repop of Playing Mantis' Michael Myer Halloween - should be out by Halloween
    The Fly - plastic, due by the end of the year
    Batgirl - really nice cast, resin, fall?
    Camo Tumbler with Bane figure - plastic, soonish
    Batman v Superman Superman - prepaint available at ComicCon, resin kit to follow, end of the year?
    Batman v Superman Armored Batman - Prepaint available at ComicCon, resin kit to follow
    Penguin - plastic, end of the year?
    BSG Raptor - plastic, awaiting licensing clearance, release date unknown
    BSG Raptor full armament - plastic, not sure if this is add-on or separate kit, awaiting license clearance, release date unknown
    Proteus - plastic, still in development
All kits look great. The Batman v Superman prepaints were glorious. Yes, the Raptor does have a complete interior and pilot figures.

All release dates are fluid. I strongly suggest you do NOT bug Moebius for release dates. These kits will arrive when they arrive.

Round 2 had very little new stuff. A clear 1701-D, some cars, some Weird-O figures.

Pegasus wasn't at Wonderfest.

Hope this helps.
Jim

---------------------
Something, something, something, donkey balls

Archangel51534

Post by Archangel51534 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:05 pm

Cool News. Wish I had been there myself.
You're only as free as the leash you're put on, Tug on it to hard, They'll hang you with it.

Tchail

Post by Tchail » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:35 pm

Disappointing, but not unsurprising.

I wish Round 2 would announce some new Cadet Series kits...

:cry:
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:10 am

Round 2 had the new NCC/NX 2000 Excelsior on display, as well as the clear NCC1701D. The star of the show is the new MPC Eagle 1 Transporter.

I must ask a few questions: They had a smaller MPC Eagle 1 being sold at the show. Is this also a new kit. Also, are there any differences between the old MPC and the old AMT Eagle 1? It is my understanding that the old Aoshima kit is a repop of the old IMAI mold. I don't know the scales of any of these, nor do I know how the old IMAI/Aoshima kit compares to the old AMT/MPC kit. Could anyone elaborate? Thanks.

My friend and I are still in town. Most we spoke with have scampered. We're flying out this afternoon. It was fun to meet everyone. I got to finally meet Blappy at last, just before I left, plus the other guy wearing a tie dye shirt.
Greg

Gaetan

Post by Gaetan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:46 am

To Jim (ARRONAX)

A BIG, BIG THANKS :D

It's what I wanted to know. Since we already knew about the Raptor and the Proteus (We even already seen test shots) and I don't do figures. There is not a lot to sink my teeth in term of new vehicules after these two :( :( .

Gaetan
THUNDERBIRDS ARE GOooo.......

jgoldader

Post by jgoldader » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:53 am

Arronax, thank you! The Fly looks great (there's a pic somewhere--the Clubhouse??), I'll definitely get it in styrene. R2 not having anything new to announce was expected, but the improved Excelsior is a must-have. I'll pass on the -D, never liked that design, but I know the repop will be welcomed by many.

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:28 am

I have over an hour's worth of video footage that I will be uploading in segments. Unfortunately, the free wi-fi at my hotel has terrible upload speeds. I'll see what my hotel in LA is like and try to upload the first part from there. I'm making the video as an introduction to the event for Japanese viewers to familiarize themselves with this event and draw some more international attention. I was rather pleased to see Japanese vendors who appear at the Wonder Festivals also exhibiting their stuff at this American event. I get Japanese viewers on my YT channel asking me to do more Japanese-language videos, so I've subtitled the Japanese in English.

And if anyone is being forced against their will to view my horrible YouTube videos, please, try to contact your local authorities or possibly even Interpol or Amnesty International because I believe that this could be considered a serious crime and a human rights violation in most countries. Even in Saudi Arabia.

Oh yeah, and I'll soon have some pictures of stuff 'n things uploaded too, I hope.
Greg

Saturn

Post by Saturn » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:47 am

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: I must ask a few questions: They had a smaller MPC Eagle 1 being sold at the show. Is this also a new kit. Also, are there any differences between the old MPC and the old AMT Eagle 1? It is my understanding that the old Aoshima kit is a repop of the old IMAI mold. I don't know the scales of any of these, nor do I know how the old IMAI/Aoshima kit compares to the old AMT/MPC kit. Could anyone elaborate? Thanks.
The smalller 1/72-ish 12" Eagle 1 is the same Airfix/AMT/MPC/Fundimensions kit from the 1970s. They've issued both a vanilla version and a deluxe version with Resin updates to the lab pod and the escape boosters.

The Imai/Aoshima kit is closer to 1/100. It's a terrible kit, not worth the license they paid for it. But it does come with wheels.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."

cireskul

Post by cireskul » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:06 pm

cireskul

Post by cireskul » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:06 pm

jgoldader

Post by jgoldader » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:09 pm

I hate to be That Guy, but are there pics for those of us who don't use facebook? Both links above appear to want logins or something, no pics there. Sorry... :oops:

jheilman

Post by jheilman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:28 pm

Moebius also announced they have the official 2001 License now. So, they will be reissuing the Orion and Moonbus and probably be diving into more 2001 ships like the Discovery.

cireskul

Post by cireskul » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:35 pm

Found them here.....

http://bucwheat.com/shows.htm

sorry I tried.

WarpeD

Post by WarpeD » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:37 pm

If Moebius gives the Discovery the same love Pegasus gave to the MLEV, there will be a profound disturbance in The Force. Of the best kind.
Steve

naoto

Post by naoto » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Saturn wrote:The Imai/Aoshima kit is closer to 1/100. It's a terrible kit, not worth the license they paid for it. But it does come with wheels.
The rubber tires are the best part of the Imai release (I recall that the later releases deleted the rubber tires and "rollers" for the landing pads). Best to keep the model in unbuilt state and watching the "WTF?" look people get when the see rubber tires, followed by "You must be kidding!" look upon closer examination of the parts. The other thing that the Imai kit does quite well is that it makes the MPC kit look *really* good by comparison. I do recall spending almost double for the Imai kit (it was one of the reissues that came out just before Imai went under) than what I paid for the MPC reissue that came out a couple weeks later*.

* The only reason why I picked up the Imai kit was my memories of the Macross, Mospeada and Orguss model kits from Imai -- which at the time of their release were pretty good (the VF-1 kit from Imai was THE kit to get -- until the Hasegawa kit came around). In retrospect, I should've remembered that the Space 1999 issues were somewhat older, and thus more likely to be like the Thunderbird and UFO kits (which were much more toy-like). It wasn't until *after* I made the purchase and looked inside the box did I realize what I'd bought. And yes, I *did* open the box while I was still at the hobby shop -- we all did get a pretty good chuckle however.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人

Trek 1701

Post by Trek 1701 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:29 pm

Here are my pictures, plus stuff I purchased at Exit 76 Antiques- 30 minutes south from Indianapolis. Almost 300 images!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... d82615461b
Check out my deviantart page- www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com/
I also have a website: www.michaelwileyart.com

jgoldader

Post by jgoldader » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:27 pm

jheilman wrote:Moebius also announced they have the official 2001 License now. So, they will be reissuing the Orion and Moonbus and probably be diving into more 2001 ships like the Discovery.
:shock: "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal." Please... Please!! :bow:

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:30 pm

Question for the 1999 experts: what is the Hawk interceptor/fighter? I know nothing about it or the series but it looks so cool - almost like an early B5 craft.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.

CaptBillD

Post by CaptBillD » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:43 pm

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote:

And if anyone is being forced against their will to view my horrible YouTube videos, please, try to contact your local authorities or possibly even Interpol or Amnesty International because I believe that this could be considered a serious crime and a human rights violation in most countries. Even in Saudi Arabia.

Mr. Waverly of the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement would like to extend our appreciation to TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan for his highly effective videos. Those captured THRUSH operatives start singing every time!
What are we running here, Number One- a cadet ship?

jheilman

Post by jheilman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:46 pm

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:Question for the 1999 experts: what is the Hawk interceptor/fighter? I know nothing about it or the series but it looks so cool - almost like an early B5 craft.

Kenny
The Hawk is an earth space fighter. In a season 1 episode, Wargames, an attack on Moonbase Alpha by Hawks was an illusion placed in the Alphan's mind by an alien civilization as a test. They were only seen in that episode, but the ship is very cool and has a strong following.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Games ... e:_1999%29