The one time I'm in the neighborhood.......

Everyone's favorite modeling geekfest, 2016 edition. June 4-5 in Louisville, KY.
http://www.wonderfest.com/

Moderators: Blappy, WedgeCharlotte, Moderators

MJBare

The one time I'm in the neighborhood.......

Post by MJBare » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:46 pm

I was all excited several months ago. I live in So. Ca and can't afford to get to WF. This year, a family wedding was scheduled on June 4 in Indianaopolis. My wife and I would fly into Dayton, Ohio, visit our families and when the time came, drive to the wedding destination. I asked my wife if we could fly in before Memorial Day weekend so I could attend WF. Imagine my horror and depression to find its being held the June 4th weekend. :cry:

One of these days...... :-({|=
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!", Dr. B. Banzai

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:29 pm

WonderFest has usually tried to stay away from Memorial Day weekend as a show date. It's been a couple weeks before or a week or two after pretty much since I've been attending (off and on) since 2005.
Surrounded by unbuilt models. What the heck do I work on next??

Jim NCC1701A
Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...

Post by Jim NCC1701A » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:32 am

'07 was on Memorial Day weekend.
One and only time since I've been going that is has been though, as far as I can recall...
The grass is always greener in another quantum reality...

Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:57 am

Anyone else remember the American Idol experience when it was across the street, and it was 156 Degrees Kelvin in the shade? :::shudder:::
I got a sweater for Christmas last year. hope I get a screamer this year...

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Stu Pidasso wrote:Anyone else remember the American Idol experience when it was across the street, and it was 156 Degrees Kelvin in the shade? :::shudder:::
Oh, Lord. Yes, I remember that. 2008 at the Kentucky Expo Center. :roll:

- Walking 3/4 mile from the building entrance to where ANYTHING was going on inside the building.

- The hike back to my hotel room to drop off purchases. I had some resin kits start to warp inside their boxes even before I made it across the Expo Center parking lot and got to the sidewalk on Phillips Lane.

- Dodging the drunk and irate American Idol cast-offs/rejects on the way out of the building on Saturday night after Iron Modeler.

Cydonia

Post by Cydonia » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:29 pm

The American ldol losers wrecked that parking lot. Simon didn't like their warblings, so they took it out on the pavement with broken glass and trash.
I hung in there like a hair on a grilled cheese.

Jim NCC1701A
Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...

Post by Jim NCC1701A » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Now I don't feel quite so bad about missing '08...
The grass is always greener in another quantum reality...

Paulbo

Post by Paulbo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:28 pm

Stu Pidasso wrote:Anyone else remember the American Idol experience when it was across the street, and it was 156 Degrees Kelvin in the shade? :::shudder:::
My first year ... shocking that it didn't scare me off.
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.

veedubb67

Post by veedubb67 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:24 am

I remember that well. Just walking between the hotel and Convention Center was miserable. I did like the layout - Dealers Room and Model Contest in one area.

Rob
Iwata Padawan

Paulbo

Post by Paulbo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:29 pm

You know, something just didn't seem right about this statement, and I finally realized it was the temperature - it seemed awfully low. So I pulled out my converter and got 156 degrees Kelvin = -179 degrees Fahrenheit. MINUS ;) (I remember it being warmer.)
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.

Buc

Post by Buc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:58 am

ah... but you're use to "Massachusetts Kelvin", whereas Stu is
referring to "KY Kelvin".

Different math.

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:13 pm

So, does that mean our melting/warping resin model kits became . . . . .KY jelly? :shock: :P

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:39 pm

Can you hire a stand in?
Abolish Alliteration

Trekmanscott

Post by Trekmanscott » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:57 am

I remember that year because my space dock model warped in the CAR!
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" Leonard Nimoy

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:28 am

I remember that! You had a photo of the damaged Spacedock posted next to your repaired version in the contest room. Didn't the repair involve several hours of hair dryer use in your hotel room?

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:25 am

Trekmanscott wrote:I remember that year because my space dock model warped in the CAR!
and you STILL recovered well enough to receive a Merit. Well done, Sir! Probably would have taken a gold were it not for the melting.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.

ambassador_londo

Post by ambassador_londo » Sun May 29, 2016 2:57 pm

Lonewolf wrote:So, does that mean our melting/warping resin model kits became . . . . .KY jelly? :shock: :P
Better that than KY Burgoo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgoo). Believe it or not, I grew up in Kentucky, and my parents were both born and raised there, and I never heard of this until a couple of years ago when a co-worker asked me if I liked Burgoo. I'm still not sure he believes me when I tell him I never heard of it before.

2008 was particularly hot. Why were you walking between the buildings, since the hotel was running a shuttle? It wasn't as convenient as it could have been, but it made the forays into the heat shorter in general.
Maybe we can start hoping again for a bright future . . .

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf » Sun May 29, 2016 4:16 pm

Because I wasn't staying at the (then) Exec West. With the exception of one year, 2007, I've always stayed at HoJo's because the room rate was better.

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Mon May 30, 2016 4:32 pm

I've made travel arrangements, got a nearby hotel room before they got booked solid, and my friend and I will be attending WF this weekend for the first time. This will be interesting. I'm flying straight from Japan, so I will have plenty of jet lag. I'm nearly done building a Knight Rider Season 1 KITT with LED lighting kit for the guy at Free Time Hobbies to display at his table. I hope it survives the flight. He's going to be selling those lighting kits, so I thought I might donate a built version to his store for display. You may find me hovering around his table in the dealer's room. My friend is a super tall Japanese guy, so that's another way to find me.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
We're gonna stab your daughter at the mall. Ah aaah aaah! We're gonna stab your wife, your son. Oooooh!

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell » Mon May 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Yay!
Abolish Alliteration

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf » Mon May 30, 2016 9:55 pm

Sweet! Looking forward to meeting you! Safe travels and see you soon!

lakespeed

Post by lakespeed » Mon May 30, 2016 10:12 pm

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote:I've made travel arrangements, got a nearby hotel room before they got booked solid, and my friend and I will be attending WF this weekend for the first time. This will be interesting. I'm flying straight from Japan, so I will have plenty of jet lag. I'm nearly done building a Knight Rider Season 1 KITT with LED lighting kit for the guy at Free Time Hobbies to display at his table. I hope it survives the flight. He's going to be selling those lighting kits, so I thought I might donate a built version to his store for display. You may find me hovering around his table in the dealer's room. My friend is a super tall Japanese guy, so that's another way to find me.
Be sure to come up to the RI Suite, introduce yourself and have a cold beverage or three. :8)
Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.
:(

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Mon May 30, 2016 10:34 pm

Thanks for the invitation. Pardon me for the newbie question, but what is the RI suite?

I think I'll wear my Tron lightcycle T-shirt to make myself easily identifiable. That way people can either greet me or avoid me as they see fit.
Greg
We're gonna stab your daughter at the mall. Ah aaah aaah! We're gonna stab your wife, your son. Oooooh!

Del

Post by Del » Tue May 31, 2016 8:49 am

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote:Thanks for the invitation. Pardon me for the newbie question, but what is the RI suite?

I think I'll wear my Tron lightcycle T-shirt to make myself easily identifiable. That way people can either greet me or avoid me as they see fit.
He heh. :twisted: Well, just don't plan on getting much sleep, that's all I can say.
Delbert Wells
~~~~~~~~~
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, ModelAddix, NorthTrek Creations, and more!
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook

lakespeed

Post by lakespeed » Tue May 31, 2016 5:57 pm

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote:Thanks for the invitation. Pardon me for the newbie question, but what is the RI suite?

It's the Resin Illuminati Suite. Just ask around and someone will tell you where we are. :8)
Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.
:(

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell » Tue May 31, 2016 10:40 pm

lakespeed wrote:

It's the Resin Illuminati Suite. Just ask around and someone will tell you where we are. :8)
It helps if you know the secret handshake.
Abolish Alliteration

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:01 pm

Alright, I'll be wearing either my Tron shirt, my Star Wars starships schematics shirt, or my Alien shirt on those days. My friend and I would be honored to meet the Illuminati/Skull&Bones/Lizard People/Google Overlords. So you guys can explain what's up with that weird eye in the pyramid on the one dollar bill, right?
:D
Greg

Arronax
Location: Orlando FL (originally from England but I expect my accent gave me away, didn't it)

Post by Arronax » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:29 am

Just remember there are no shortages of suites with free beer - which is just as well because you'll be broke by noon on Saturday.

Drop by the CultTVMan booth and say hi. We have a suite with free beer too.
Jim

---------------------
Something, something, something, donkey balls

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:13 am

Man... free booze. Thanks! I certainly don't see that at the Wonder Festival in Chiba, that's for sure!
Greg