IRON MODELER 2016 SIGN UP HERE!!!

Everyone's favorite modeling geekfest, 2016 edition. June 4-5 in Louisville, KY.
http://www.wonderfest.com/

Moderators: Blappy, WedgeCharlotte, Moderators

Blappy

IRON MODELER 2016 SIGN UP HERE!!!

Post by Blappy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:28 pm

Greetings Programs!

Once again we will be having the Iron Modeler competition at Wonderfest on Saturday night.

----

EDIT By OneZero, who has the powers of a minor deity here (and here only):

If you followed a link here from elsewhen, Iron Modeler is something like Iron Chef, but of course - way cooler. Teams of 2-3 people each are all given the same kit (or model part, or random street garbage if the organizers are feeling particularly of a mood) and access to a big pile of model kit parts and other assorted .... stuff. Each team has 4 hours to build .... well, anything they want, really, as long as it uses the base kit/part/garbage. Build it, paint it, tell a story about your thought process at the end.

Bonus points always go to imagination - and funny stories.

The "parts dump" at the front of the room includes parts each team brings as their token offering to the modelling gods.... er, "entry fee" - plus whatever else anyone, anywhere on this planet wants to bring (as long as it's clean and glue-able). (Dave.)

The room is ringed with chairs and there will be spectators. Ignore the tourists and build.

The event starts shortly after the main Wonderfest events end for the day. If you plan to participate in Iron Modeler (or "eye-em", as all the kewl kidz call it) you should probably eat/pee/love beforehand. You can have someone bring in food, that's cool - but seriously - four hours here goes by *fast* and you don't want to waste it on potty breaks and pizza.

And while beer is, technically, food .... lets just say you don't want to superglue the bottle to your left nostril. Don't ask me how I know.

Anyone attending Wonderfest USA can join in - this is just the place where you sign up (so we know how many tables and donor kits/parts/trash we need). If you are having trouble signing in to the conversation, please eMail me at onezero@aol.com and I will take care of it.

And now, back to the Once and Future Chairman .....

--------

Sponsors are:
- StarshipModeler
- Tag Team Hobbies (Providing airbrushes and paint for the competitors.)
- Blap! Models
- Trekyards

I will be stepping down as Chairman and we will be bringing in some new blood for this role. There will be a ceremonial passing of the Chairman's jacket at the beginning of the night.

The rules will be the same as always.

- Teams with a maximum of three members - and a minimum of two. Trust us, one person can't keep up.

- Each team must supply a box of model parts as an entry fee. The box may be as large as a dumpster, but no smaller than a standard shoebox. Parts may be resin, plastic, metal, a mix - anything that can be glued. Parts must be clean - don't be a dick and bring a box of dirty piston rods. Yeah, I'm talking to you again, Dave.

- Only one member from each team is allowed at the at the parts dump at a time. This is strictly enforced. By mimes.

- There will be approximately four hours in which to finish your entries, figure out your story, and clean up your mess.

- You must bring your own tools. There are limited electrical outlets in the room, so battery-powered is your best bet. The hotel frowns rather strongly on circular saws or belt sanders.

-A simple base and brass rod are allowed to mount your finished creation.

- All teams must stay after the event is over to help clean up the room. But hell, you were going to do that anyway because you are all decent individuals, right?

If I think of any more rules I will add them later.

There will be three awards presented.
Iron Modeler Champion - Provided by StarshipModeler
Best Use of Greeblies - Provided by Blap! Models
Bermuda Triangle award for the most bizarre entry - Provided by Blap! Models.

We will be collecting a number of celebrity judges again this year. I will post a list once I have some confirmations.

If you would like to compete please state your team name and members in a post below.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:21 pm

Team name: Seattleites

Rocketeer
Mike the Great
Scrutus
Last edited by Rocketeer on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b5ranger99

Post by b5ranger99 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:01 pm

Rookie Rangers will be back in the action (again).

artships
B5Ranger99
a free agent to be named at a later date :D

The draft results are in and Mad Paul is the third team member!

No preseason, no regular season, just the World Series :D
Last edited by b5ranger99 on Fri May 20, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."

Dukhat, Babylon 5

veedubb67

Post by veedubb67 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:59 am

Team Hammered Ass is returning!

Matt "Shooter" Quiroz
Steve "Gilligan" Carricato
Robert "Otter" Feuillerat

Rob
Iwata Padawan

Trek 1701

Post by Trek 1701 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:05 pm

I plan on attending Iron Modeleler this year, but I don't have a team to join.
Check out my deviantart page- www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com/
I also have a website: www.michaelwileyart.com

M3

Post by M3 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:06 pm

Team "TeeBeeDees":

Peter Faye
Anthony Goodman
Matt "M3" Jacobson
"What are my favorite TV shows? 'The Big Met Theory', and 'How I Bang Your Mother'."

Gouf

Post by Gouf » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:06 am

Team, "Wait..Where's Steve?"

Jay Barnes
Duncan Scott
Greg Feddersen
Last edited by Gouf on Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy, but socially dead!

My finished kits can be seen here: http://kitbash.net

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:28 pm

Trek 1701 wrote:I plan on attending Iron Modeleler this year, but I don't have a team to join.
Cydonia and I are looking for a spare body . . . I mean, another team member. Wanna join forces? It means you're gonna be working with two CoMMiES members, though. :8)
Surrounded by unbuilt models. What the heck do I work on next??

Trek 1701

Post by Trek 1701 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:52 am

Wanna join forces?
Sure.
Check out my deviantart page- www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com/
I also have a website: www.michaelwileyart.com

gatekeeper3

Team First Contact

Post by gatekeeper3 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:38 pm

Team First Contacts Returns with yet another story to be created,

Paul Harvath
David Wise
Let's make sure history never forgets the name..... Enterprise.

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Sun May 15, 2016 11:43 am

Never having done this before, I have a couple questions about the rules.

1. Can I bring stuff for my team's exclusive use? (Specifically, I'm thinking of sheet styrene and/or decals.)

2. Can I bring my own paint?

3. Can I rotate another person in? We actually have four guys really interested; can person A leave at the halfway point, and person B come in in his place?

Blappy

Post by Blappy » Mon May 16, 2016 9:43 am

Rocketeer wrote:Never having done this before, I have a couple questions about the rules.

1. Can I bring stuff for my team's exclusive use? (Specifically, I'm thinking of sheet styrene and/or decals.)
Decals yes.... Styrene sheet, no!
Rocketeer wrote: 2. Can I bring my own paint?
There are issues with smelly paints. That's why we encourage you to use the provided paints supplied by Tag Team Hobbies.
Rocketeer wrote: 3. Can I rotate another person in? We actually have four guys really interested; can person A leave at the halfway point, and person B come in in his place?
Hrmmm... I've never had this question before. I am going to say no for now. I will confer with the inner circle and let you know if that changes.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere

M3

Post by M3 » Sun May 29, 2016 9:27 am

M3 wrote:Team "TeeBeeDees":

Peter Faye
Anthony Goodman
Matt "M3" Jacobson
Annnnd... because of a rain-soaked basement (and the attendant expense), I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop out. Anyone want to step in as my second?
"What are my favorite TV shows? 'The Big Met Theory', and 'How I Bang Your Mother'."

Caseymunchkin

Post by Caseymunchkin » Mon May 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Sadly, Matt won't be with us this year, but team TeeBeeDee can take on another member!
Caseymunchkin