Iron Modeller signup

Everyone's favorite modeling geekfest, 2016 edition. June 4-5 in Louisville, KY.
http://www.wonderfest.com/

Moderators: Blappy, WedgeCharlotte, Moderators

Rocketeer

Iron Modeller signup

Post by Rocketeer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:52 pm

I'm travelling to Wonderfest this year with a couple friends, and one of them has talked the other two into entering Iron Modeller as a team.

How does one enter? Is there a signup on the Wfest website? Do you sign up when you buy tickets on Friday afternoon? Do you just show up at the door of the IM room at 5:30 on Saturday and hope there's enough tables?

Please, enlighten me!

WedgeCharlotte

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:02 am

Iron Modeler is run by the folks here at Starship Modeler, not the show itself, you should see a signup thread here in the near future if I'm not mistaken.
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
http://www.wonderfest.com
Go Panthers!
http://pantherfanz.smugmug.com

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:17 am

Thanks; I'll keep my eyes peeled, then!

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:58 pm

There should be a signup organizing sometime in March or April.

Generally, folks form teams of not more than three people, and the entry fee in the past has been a pound of spare parts to bring for the communal parts dump pile that the participants have access to during the festivities.

Once the teams have been formed, it's up to the team members to agree among themselves as to who is bringing which tools. Obviously, someone who is driving can bring pointy things like Xactos and razor saws, while someone flying would be diverted into a TSA-sponsored "fun room" to explain why they have such objects.

Another option is to pack a "goodie box" with things you want to have access to, and ship it to a team member who is planning on driving to the event.

It's always a lot of fun, and I've participated numerous times over the years. Iron Modeler forces you to think outside the box, and to just build for the sheer joy of it, with friends you only get to see but once per year.

Oh, and before I forget, for those who are observing the competition, anyone who is not a participant and who attempts to pilfer from the parts table during the event shall be subject to being kitbashed into one of the entries (whether all in one piece, or separated into several large ones!) :P
Surrounded by unbuilt models. What the heck do I work on next??

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks for the information; much appreciated.

We don't have anyone who will be driving, so I suppose that the tools will have to travel via checked baggage. Hmmmm.

Edit: Just checked the TSA site, and knives and tools are okay in checked baggage. Whew!

WedgeCharlotte

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:24 am

A couple of years ago I donated a ton of parts including 3 unassembled MPC Darth Vader TIE kit parts to Iron Modeler. None of them were used that I could find yet all of them were gone from the parts stash. Wasn't too happy about that but I hope someone did something cool with them.
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
Go Panthers!

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:44 pm

WedgeCharlotte wrote:A couple of years ago I donated a ton of parts including 3 unassembled MPC Darth Vader TIE kit parts to Iron Modeler. None of them were used that I could find yet all of them were gone from the parts stash. Wasn't too happy about that but I hope someone did something cool with them.
My understanding, as a spectator, was that after a certain time, the parts tables were open to all. That understanding was apparently wrong, but it's widely held; perhaps this year a sign ought to be put up to clarify that.

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:13 pm

The "after a certain time" is usually at the end of the building session. At least, it has been for the past several times I've participated. All teams have access to the parts table while building is still going on.

I remember in 2014, several folks who weren't participants were approaching the tables before the halfway point, and OneZero made an announcement that parts pilfering would be allowed only after the end of the building time was called. It's usually also suspended while the teams are giving their presentations, so everyone can hear what's being said.
Surrounded by unbuilt models. What the heck do I work on next??

WedgeCharlotte

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:56 pm

I'm glad they do that, but all the stuff I am talking about was gone during the building time. Of course after its done, I'm all for raiding the parts table! I just had a lot of the wings, body halves and all the other parts that I thought would come in handy and none of them were used - I can only imagine that they were gone before the contest even started.
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
Go Panthers!

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:13 pm

Speaking as a former (and, I hope, future) Iron Modeler participant, during the build I grab anything I can that catches my eye. I never know what particular part will trigger a new and interesting wrinkle to the model, so ...

After the show, so to speak, there's usually a ton of parts leftover that no-one seems to want. I help clean up the room, and rather than toss the unused greeblies, I usually just take them home. I mean - I already have an empty box to fill up. :)

I have come home with some very sweet greeblies.
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry

Blappy

Post by Blappy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 am

I'll post a sign up toward the end of March. I will be passing the reins of Chairman to a new person this year. OneZero and I are keeping who hush hush until the day of. There will be a ceremonial passing of the chairman's jacket and the pinning of a special button.

I am stepping down so I can help out behind the scenes a bit more at Wonderfest.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:31 am

Blappy wrote:I'll post a sign up toward the end of March. I will be passing the reins of Chairman to a new person this year. OneZero and I are keeping who hush hush until the day of. There will be a ceremonial passing of the chairman's jacket and the pinning of a special button.

I am stepping down so I can help out behind the scenes a bit more at Wonderfest.
Thanks for the information!

Blappy

Post by Blappy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:30 pm

BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:11 pm

I've signed up, and am pretty stoked!

I have a question about tools; do we bring our own airbrush and paint, or are they supplied?

Blappy

Post by Blappy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:03 pm

Rocketeer wrote:I've signed up, and am pretty stoked!

I have a question about tools; do we bring our own airbrush and paint, or are they supplied?
There will be a couple of airbrushes and paints available thanks to Tag Team Hobbies!
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Blappy wrote:...There will be a couple of airbrushes and paints available thanks to Tag Team Hobbies!
Hooray!